Are Celebrity Specialty Restaurants worth it?

4774Papa

We are cruising on Celebrity Infinity thru the Panama Canal down to Chile in December. Never cruised on Celebrity before (NCL). I understand that the specialty restaurant US United States, has a cover charge of $35. That seems high. On NCL the specialty restaurants are $10-25.

If the specialty restaurants are that good, is it because the basic restaurants are not?

We sailed on Solstice and dined in Aqua Class in Blu and enjoyed our food. But I am very glad we spent extra to also enjoy Murano and Tuscany. The food and service were wonderful and worth the extra money for us. To have a similar experience in a fine dining establishment locally would be far more expensive.

We are cruising on Celebrity Infinity thru the Panama Canal down to Chile in December. Never cruised on Celebrity before (NCL). I understand that the specialty restaurant US United States, has a cover charge of $35. That seems high. On NCL the specialty restaurants are $10-25.

If the specialty restaurants are that good, is it because the basic restaurants are not?

The food and service in the MDR is very good. The food and the service in Muranos on Century and Constellation and in both specialty restaurants on the Azamara Journey was outstanding. Different people have different tastes but DW and I both thought the extra $$$ were worth it.

The only real way to find out is to try it:)

We dined in the SS United States on the Infinity last year on our way up from Chile through the Panama Canal. The restaurant is superb. Great food, very attentive service, and a nice, upscale atmosphere. I would say it was definetly worth it. At comparable restaurants in my area, the cost for a similar meal would easly be $100+ for two people.

The specialty restaurants on the Celebrity's M class ships are consistently ranked near the top of their class.

Dinner in the MDR was also very good, but not of the caliber you will get in the specialty restaurant. You won't be disappointed in either.

Edited by boogs

The only thing "special" about NCL's speciality restaurants is that they specialize in one specific type of food. The food and service in Celebrity's specialty restaurants are well worth the money. Also, not all are $35, some are $30, some $25. We loved Tuscan Grille.

The food and the service in Muranos on Century and Constellation .......

A gentle correction - Constellation does not have a Muranos. For food, it has the MDR, plus the original specialty restaurant called Ocean Liners, and a now new specialty restaurant installed during the last dry dock called Tuscan Grille. There is also Bistro on Five, which has sandwiches, salads, crepes and desserts for both lunch and dinner at a modest charge, and Cafe al Bacio, which serves specialty coffees, liqueurs and pastries, also with a modest charge, both also added at the last dry dock. (The Infinity will get these additional food venues during it's next dry dock, which I believe is sometime in 2011.) There is also the original Aqua Spa cafe, serving healthy selections, the pool side grill with hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, etc, and the buffet area, all included with your cruise fare.

Edited by boogs

We found the speciality resturant on the Summit, Normandie, to be VERY, VERY worth it. The service was amazing - as was the food. They have their own kitchen, so everything is made to order. In the MDR, where they are serving so many at once - it's basically banquet food. Good for banquet food, but not made to order.

We already have specialitiy reservations for our two upcoming cruises.

Sara

The only thing "special" about NCL's speciality restaurants is that they specialize in one specific type of food. The food and service in Celebrity's specialty restaurants are well worth the money. Also, not all are $35, some are $30, some $25. We loved Tuscan Grille.

Agree with the above, have been on both lines and was not impressed with Cagneys, no better than Outback....Celebrity's specialty restaurants are worth every penny...

No, they are not. The food in the MDR is fine, why would anyone pay to have different food? But people pay for water in a plastic bottle,when you can get all the water you want for free, which is something I have never understood. So what do I know?

I would add that these extra cost food places seem to take up a lot of space on the ship that could be better used, I think.

No, they are not. The food in the MDR is fine, why would anyone pay to have different food? But people pay for water in a plastic bottle,when you can get all the water you want for free, which is something I have never understood. So what do I know?

I would add that these extra cost food places seem to take up a lot of space on the ship that could be better used, I think.

While the food in the MDR is usually good, it is not in the same league as the food in the specialty restaurants. It is like saying why would anybody pay more to get a steak from Ruth Chris versus a steak from Applebees. Many people do not mind paying more for a higher end product. For my wife and I, our meals at the specialty restaurants are among the highlights of our cruise.

From my [limited] experience of the food on NCL in both their MDR and speciality restaurants, you will be blown away by all the food on Celebrity. IMHO the MDR and buffet on Celebrity are streets ahead of NCL but it is still worth paying the extra for the wonderful SS United States on Infinity.

Have a wonderful cruise. We loved Infinity and will be on the same cruise as you in 2011.

Sue

I think it depends on how you are looking at whether its "worth it."

In my view, the food at the specialty restaurants is very good and compared to the MDR (which I have no complaint with) is a significant step up in quality and ambiance. We generally go to the specialty restaurants 1-2 x per cruise.

That answers "worth it" in my mind from a quality, enjoyability perspective.

That said, financially, I don't think they are "worth it" or better said, I don't think they're the great deal people make them out to be.

Everyone tries to compare the cost to a "top notch" restaurant in the States saying that will run you $100-200 for a couple. Fair enough, but let's break that down a little so we're comparing apples to apples. That $100-200 generally includes wine and in some cases specialty coffee. Let's just assume the bottle of wine is $40 (average cost of a red on Celebrity) and the average cost of specialty coffee is $10 for a couple. That means your true comparison price is $60 (low end and ignoring specialty coffee) to $130/140. Looking at Murano, your base/comparison price is $70 for a couple, which is immediately over the low end of the range. I also don't think this accurately reflects in the true "cost". Remember that this cover charge is incremental to your cruise fare, which presumably includes a price for dining in the MDR, which you are giving up. I have no idea what that cost is, but I would guess its at least $10, maybe as high as $20. That means your real "FOOD ONLY" cost of a specialty restaurant is $80-90, compared to a food only cost of $60-140 at comparable restaurants on land.

I guess what I'm saying is this:

1) The specialty restaurants are very good. I don't think they compare to the very best of land based restaurants, but the comparison would definitely be up there and we definitely enjoy dining in them.

2) The "deal" you're getting is not necessarily as good as people make it out to be, but depending on what restaurant you're comparing it to, its not like you're getting ripped off--I honestly think its a wash.

We'll continue going a few times per cruise and look forward to the experience.

As you can see, some people think it is worth it and other folks do

not.

I guess it depends on your priorities. Isn't everything about that? What

is important to you and what is not. What do you, as an individual feel

is a good value and what is not.

I remember when I first started cruising I did not think I would choose

to try the Specialty Restaurants. I was wrong. I went once and felt

like it was definitely worth it. Yes, the main dining room is lovely and I do

enjoy the meals there. But after I tried my first Specialty Venue I knew

I would go back again.

In my opinion, the evening there is wonderful. Food, service, and

ambiance~for me? I feel the value of my $ is worth every penney.

Again, it really is all about what is important to the individual. As some

have noted, they have no desire eat anywhere but the main dining

room and that is AOK:)...and for those who want to eat there and

the Specialty Restaurants, that is AOK too:)

Have a great cruise, wherever you decide to eat;)

Edited by Lois R

Well said,

There is a tendency to overlook the inherent cost including in the cruise fare. Food only (and that is truly the only difference), you are paying in effect $30ish per person to upgrade just the food - that in turn made me wonder the exact same things as the OP - if I'm already $30 over and above the included food in the base fare that's a significant uptick.

Just for illustration purposes:

Low end rest vs higher for apps - $8 vs. $16 = $8

Low end rest vs higher for entre - $18 vs. $35 = $17

Low end rest vs higher for dessert - $6 vs. $12 = $6

Total differential = $31

I guess the question is do the specialty restaurants deliver at the higher end of the spectrum and is the MDR equivalent to the lower end? I have no idea but at least I've sort of rationalized the dollar differential :D

2) The "deal" you're getting is not necessarily as good as people make it out to be, but depending on what restaurant you're comparing it to, its not like you're getting ripped off--I honestly think its a wash.

Having had one trip on NCL I would say their special restaurant was at best average; the experience you will get in Ocean Liners will be quite well above average and you will feel very very special for the night.

Some people feel very very special in the MDR and decline to have one try in the speciality restaurant - that is a fair choice for them and one I respect. For us, we love the experience and on our forthcoming trip albeit its on Eclipse, we will have 6 speciality trips. My own experience is that the specialities on Millenium class ships such as Infinity is still better than that on Solstice class such as Eclipse (but as I said I am still having 6 trips!)

Agree with the above, have been on both lines and was not impressed with Cagneys, no better than Outback....Celebrity's specialty restaurants are worth every penny...

Thanks for writing that. I did Cagney's on NCL Sky and felt that it was a total waste. My local Texas Roadhouse Grill has better steaks than Cagney's and is actually less expensive as well.

Will be on the Millenium in October and have reservations at Olympian - I hope it stacks up to the Tuscan Grille on the Equinox.

One thing to keep in mind when going to the specialty restaurants is that the cost is not just for the food -- it is also the tip for the waiter. When we were on the Solstice in February, our waitress in the Silk Harvest (Asian food) told us that of the $25 charge, she got half. Without the extra charges, there would be no way for these servers go get tips.

I think threads like this show exactly why the cruise lines offer so many options - in dining and activities - not everyone likes the same things or are willing to pay the same prices. The best part is that if you don't want to pay extra fees, then you don't have to. Options - that's what I like.

Interesting point, I would have thought that they would be allocated their share out of the pool would they not? In the same manner those that work at the buffet or grill would receive their prorata portion of the tips or am I misunderstanding?

One thing to keep in mind when going to the specialty restaurants is that the cost is not just for the food -- it is also the tip for the waiter. When we were on the Solstice in February, our waitress in the Silk Harvest (Asian food) told us that of the $25 charge, she got half. Without the extra charges, there would be no way for these servers go get tips.

I don't think the argument that you have already "paid" for your main dining room meal in your cruise fair is a useful one. First of all, the cruise lines spend far, far less per/person per/day on food then you would think. It is about $12 per person on Celebrity - not for dinner, but for all your meals/snacks for the day. So the "cost" of the dinner you are skipping is about $4. Secondly, one could also argue that your cruise fare "includes" the opportunity to eat a high end meal at a specialty restaurant at a cheaper price than you'd pay for an equivalent meal on land. Yes, it is not dramatically lower, but instead of $35 per person, you'd probably pay $40-$60 per person for a similar meal on land (depending on the number of courses and what you order).

I'm relieved to see other posters dis Cagney's. After eating at every one of the specialty restaurants on Norwegian Gem on a 10-day last January, I came away disappointed. But I'm looking forward to Blu, Murano, AND Tuscan Grille on board Equinox in November!

Sorry but I don't understand what cost has to do with it unless you want to compare the cost of the providing the specialty restaurant meal as well - since it's unlikely anyone knows for a fact the cost of either why bring that into the discussion?

I can't envision how there isn't a retail value to the meal provided in the MDR which should be considered in a comparison.

Cost of the opportunity to eat a high end meal - really? I find that to be a real stretch.

I don't think the argument that you have already "paid" for your main dining room meal in your cruise fair is a useful one. First of all, the cruise lines spend far, far less per/person per/day on food then you would think. It is about $12 per person on Celebrity - not for dinner, but for all your meals/snacks for the day. So the "cost" of the dinner you are skipping is about $4. Secondly, one could also argue that your cruise fare "includes" the opportunity to eat a high end meal at a specialty restaurant at a cheaper price than you'd pay for an equivalent meal on land. Yes, it is not dramatically lower, but instead of $35 per person, you'd probably pay $40-$60 per person for a similar meal on land (depending on the number of courses and what you order).

I'm relieved to see other posters dis Cagney's. After eating at every one of the specialty restaurants on Norwegian Gem on a 10-day last January, I came away disappointed. But I'm looking forward to Blu, Murano, AND Tuscan Grille on board Equinox in November!

We found the GEM's specialty restaurants range from good to great. The French and Italian restaurants were excellent. The Japanese was very good, and the Mexican and Chinese were good. Didn't try Cagneys. Some of the meals we had in the main dining rooms were excellent, some very good, some average. Even the Buffet was occasionally excellent. We live in Coastal South Georgia in a somewhat touristy area, and there are several excellent restaurants in our area. The GEM compared favorably across the board. I would not try to compare them to a michelin 5 star, since it has been a while since I have eaten in such a restaurant. In any event, I am reassured that Celebrity may be even a step up from NCL, which is even better.

have yet to experience speciality dining on the "S" class ships but the Normandie (Sumitt) & Ocean Liners (Constelation) are the best speciality venues out there.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Thanks for writing that. I did Cagney's on NCL Sky and felt that it was a total waste. My local Texas Roadhouse Grill has better steaks than Cagney's and is actually less expensive as well.

Will be on the Millenium in October and have reservations at Olympian - I hope it stacks up to the Tuscan Grille on the Equinox.

Doing Tuscan two weeks from Tommorrow, looking forward to it. By the way, I like Texas Roadhouse also, good steaks...The ironic thing about the Specialty restaurants is that the food served is the equivalent in terms of quality to what was served in the MDR years ago on Celebrity....

Edited by dkjretired