new 2 this, 1st time.

willow1uk

hi guys

we are cruising 4 the 1st time on queen victoria in september. questions:

alcohol policy - can we take wine/spirits on board without hiding it?

can we buy wine in poets to drink in staterooms?

what do we expect?

tips - ideas please

thanks

Officially per the printed Voyage Guide you may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person. From posts in this forum I believe that the limit is not closely observed, and also that bringing a bottle of whiskey or gin is not likely to raise any eyebrows. It appears that some people limit it to two bottles per checked-in bag, wrapped in bubble wrap.

For our 9-night cruise we'll probably bring 6 bottles of wine and a bottle of gin. There's a $15 fee if you want to bring a bottle of wine into one of the restaurants.

I don't know specifically about Cunard but it appears that if you buy wine/liquor in a port it will be held until your debarkation.

EDIT: More info here, probably more correct than my answers.

hi guys

we are cruising 4 the 1st time on queen victoria in september. questions:

alcohol policy - can we take wine/spirits on board without hiding it?

can we buy wine in poets to drink in staterooms?

what do we expect?

tips - ideas please

thanks

Hi,

You should be ok taking a couple of bottles onboard, but you may have problems if you take more. I have never tried it so I can't be sure.

I have brought bottles back in port with not problems :)

Queen Victoria is a beautiful ship, she is easy to get around and the theatre is wonderful. I am sure you will have a great time. :)

I don't know specifically about Cunard but it appears that if you buy wine/liquor in a port it will be held until your debarkation.

While most cruise lines indeed appear to confiscate bottles bought in a port, my experience with Cunard is different:

Just like at embarkation everything is fine if you keep it limited. One or two bottles of local wine - no problems.

Actually this might be reason for Cunard being not such aggressive as other lines and for treating their passengers as adults: Most passengers do act like reasonable adults.

They bring maybe a special bottle to enjoy on board or buy bottles to take them home but generally use the bar and restaurant offers.

This is far different from the attempt to smuggle as much on board as possible and to not buy any drink on board.

We did the maiden WC on Victoria. 99 wonderful days. She is a beauty....though we also like QM2. Cunard will charge you $11.00 a day for tips. You may opt out of that by stopping at the purser's desk. We have always found that we become quite attached to our cabin steward and waiters so we pre-plan and bring small gifts on board to present to them at the end of the voyage (or leg since changes could happen then). IN addition to that we bring little note cards so we can write each of them a personal note of thanks including a cash thank you as well. Our Brit friends say the cash is unnecessary, but we elect to do it. We find that tee shirts featuring the name of our town have been a big hit....certainly no one else would have one!

Officially per the printed Voyage Guide you may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person. From posts in this forum I believe that the limit is not closely observed, and also that bringing a bottle of whiskey or gin is not likely to raise any eyebrows. It appears that some people limit it to two bottles per checked-in bag, wrapped in bubble wrap.

For our 9-night cruise we'll probably bring 6 bottles of wine and a bottle of gin. There's a $15 fee if you want to bring a bottle of wine into one of the restaurants.

EDIT: More info here, probably more correct than my answers.

We never had bottles held until we disembarked. Obviously, if you buy a ton of booze, I'm sure they may raise an eyebrow.

Archived