My Fast Acting, Long Lasting, Dream Review. Just off the Ship this morning...

Meredisney

Thank you so much for your review, its exceaalnt. I love the pics and have no trouble opening them to a larger size. We are sailing on the Dream October 9th same Eastern Itinerary. We have a Spa Balcony Cabin on Deck 12, can't wait to hear all about your Spa adventure!

JW

Stateroom

Finally, 1:30pm came and we were allowed to go to our staterooms. We booked Stateroom #9201. It is considered an “Inside Cabin” by price, but it has a window with an obstructed view. The obstruction is actually the "secret" balcony that you read about on these boards. The balcony is located above the Bridge all the way forward on the ninth deck (Vista). I was worried because I couldn't find any photos or reviews of this exact cabin anywhere online. We absolutley LOVED our room! It was HUGE!!!

th_DSC00234.jpg th_DSC00235.jpg th_DSC00236.jpg th_DSC00237.jpg th_DSC00238.jpg th_DSC00306.jpg

This last photo is of the actual view out of our window. It's technically considered an obstruction, but as you can see from the photo, there is a perfect view of the horizon. We didn't mind the balcony "obstruction" one bit. I've already submitted these photos to cruise deck plans, so that other will be able to use them when determining their stateroom. I would definitely recommend this room! There have been a few posts regarding a banging sound when staying in forward staterooms. I wanted to address this and let you know that we did hear the banging however it was only on the first 2 nights as we made our way out of the Atlantic Ocean. The banging is actually the ship hitting the waves. It wasn't anything that kept us awake at night and I barely noticed it. Once we were in the Caribbean Sea, there sound subsided.

We were in cabin 10205 - which is also an obstructed view, we absolutely loved that room, I would take it again in a heartbeat!

When planning our upcoming cruise on the Magic, one of the reasons that I was considering the obstructed view inside cabin was that in the diagrams it looked larger than other cabins. I was told by a Carnival PVP that though configured slightly differently, the square footage is the same! So I find it very interesting that you concur that it is more spacious. Oh well, in the end I chose a spa inside cabin. We like to be on an upper deck and I wanted to be sure that it was a non-smoking cabin. Also figured I'll need the extra cash for the pricey Mediterranean shore excursions. (Living in South Florida and having sailed so much of the Caribbean, when we do sail in the Carib we no longer take any shore excursions and apportion more of our vacation budget to the cabin)

Many of you have been asking, so here it is…

Everything you ever wanted to know about the Cloud 9 Spa

One of my absolute favorite things to do on vacation is go to the spa and read. I hardly ever get to read at home, so lounging on a heated mosaic tile chase lounge while reading a good book is something I really look forward to. Prior to cruising, I posted a few questions about the thermal suite. Even after many helpful cruise critic folks answered my questions, I was STILL confused about what was included in thermal suites VIP pass verses the free spa amenities. Well, needless to say, I have a very clear understanding now.

I’ll talk about the FREE stuff first…

The entrance to the spa is located on the 12th deck, rightfully named the spa deck. As you enter the spa, there is a check in desk to the left and three doors to the right, one to the ladies locker room, one to the mens locker room, and a third located between the two that leads to the FREE sauna. The free sauna is the only traditional dry wood sauna (cedar smell and all) on the ship, so if this is your ideal sauna, verses the steam rooms, then there is no need to pay for the VIP pass.

Also inside the ladies free locker room is a steam sauna, lockers, restrooms, and two showers. I’m assuming the mens locker room has the same amenities.

Ladies Free Locker Room

th_DSC00287.jpg

Ladies Free Locker Room. The glass door on the right is the free steam sauna.

th_DSC00293.jpg

Shower in the Ladies Free Locker Room

th_DSC00294.jpg

Free Dry Wood Sauna (Co-ed). Sorry, It's not the greatest picture. There were Guests inside, so I didn't want to disturb them.

th_DSC00292.jpg

Now to the Thermal Suites and the VIP pass…

I paid $149 for a single pass that was good for the entire length of the cruise. Whenever I wanted to use the spa amenities, I had to check in at the desk located at the spa entrance on deck 12. The therapist at the desk would then take my sail & sign card in exchange for a VIP Spa access card. I also received a plastic colored wrist band, which was fastened around my wrist and then cut off when I checked out at the spa desk and turned in the VIP card. The wrist band was a different color every day.

The VIP amenities are located further down the main spa hallway. There is a gym to the left and then, behind a locked glass door only acceable by the VIP card, is the Thalassotherapy pool. I was never able to get a photo of the pool because it was always full of guests and I wanted to respect their privacy. I went in the Thalassotherapy pool a few times. It was pretty much like a largewarm, salt-water hot tub and I found it very relaxing.

At the end of the hall is a spiral staircase and elevator. Both lead to the 14th deck where you will find the aerobics room and all of the spa treatment rooms. The elevator and stairs will also take you up to the 15th deck (the sun deck) which leads to the top portion of the serenity deck. The Spa class staterooms are also accessable by the spiral stairs and elevator.

To the right of the elevator/spiral stairs, are two more glass doors. Again these doors are secured by the VIP access card. The door on the right will take you to another set of male and female locker rooms, each with their very own showers, restrooms, and lockers. The door on the left will take you to three steam rooms, two rain showers, and an elaborate thermal suite. There is also a relaxation room with cushy chairs, hot tea, ice water and fresh fruit.

I forgot to mention that there is also a gym and aerobics room located in the spa.

I enjoyed my time in the Thermal Suite and would pay to for the VIP access card again. There was only one thing about the spa that I was disappointed in, they didn’t provide any toiletries other then the same body wash and shampoo dispensers that are the stateroom showers. I used the spa shower a few times and each time I had to pack a bag with my conditioner, razor, comb, etc. I only found this annoying because I had to tote my "stuff" back and forth to the spa.

Ladies VIP Locker Room

th_DSC00255.jpg

Ladies VIP Locker Room. The 2 wooden doors lead to the showers

th_DSC00256.jpg

Shower in Ladies VIP Locker Room

th_DSC00300.jpg

VIP Co-Ed relaxation room with cushy chairs, hot tea, ice water and fresh fruit

th_DSC00254.jpg

One of the VIP Thermal Suite Rain Showers

th_DSC00253.jpg

Edited by Meredisney

Thermal suite

th_DSC00245.jpg

Oriental Steam Room

th_DSC00246.jpg

th_DSC00247.jpg

Mild Steam Room

th_DSC00248.jpg

th_DSC00249.jpg

Unfortunately I couldn't get a good picture of the Aromatherapy steam room. The stream was too intense and the pictures just came out with a bunch of clouds. LOL

Edited by Meredisney

??? I hear there is a mud bath or pool? Was that included in your pass?

Do you remember the Spa hours, I plan on getting up before my family and getting a little alone time in at the spa.:D

Thank you so much, I have been waiting for someone to give the inside scoop on the Spa.

Thermal suite

th_DSC00245.jpg

Were you able to try 'these' out? Are they warm? How hard was it to find an empty one? Also, were there better 'times' to visit the spa (esp the thermal suite/Thalassotherapy pool? Day or evening better?? Thank you for your help...

Were you able to try 'these' out? Are they warm? How hard was it to find an empty one? Also, were there better 'times' to visit the spa (esp the thermal suite/Thalassotherapy pool? Day or evening better?? Thank you for your help...

gammy...these are heated. Some times they can be a bit too hot, but if you lay a nice thick spa towel on them and use another towel for a pillow, you'll take a nice relaxing nap.:) In my experience, the spas are less crowded after 4 PM on sea days and in the mid-late afternoons on port days. The relaxation room does get crowded, limited seating, but there is a turn around. DW also went in mornings a couple of times. I never heard her say they were crowded. I do know from using the stairs to the Serenity deck that on sea days there appear to be a lot more people in the spa area during the middle of the day. Meredisney and others may have had a different experience as each cruise is a bit different. Also, you can head for the locker rooms first and drop off your stuff in one of the lockers and not have to mess with it. I personally enjoy the showers in the spa and in the locker rooms across from the gym (a spa pass is not required to use these) better than the showers in the cabin.

Hi Grammy3grks! Yes, I tried them out and they are warm. Like crewsweeper, I found that if you lay a towel on top of the lounge chair and then lay ontop of that, it was perfect. Laying directly on top of the tiles was a little too intense for me.

The Spa hours are from 8am - 10pm. I have all the Fun Times. I'm going to include them in my signature once I get them all scanned.

Edited by Meredisney

??? I hear there is a mud bath or pool? Was that included in your pass?

Do you remember the Spa hours, I plan on getting up before my family and getting a little alone time in at the spa.:D

Thank you so much, I have been waiting for someone to give the inside scoop on the Spa.

Hello Cina409. Yes, there there is a mud room that you can use. It is not included in the VIP pass but for an additional fee you can "upgrade your pass to include a one time 60min use of the mud room. It's not unlimited. I didn't choose the upgrade so I'm not sure of the price. I want to say it was somewhere around $60??

The pool that's included in the VIP pass is the Thalassotherapy pool. It's pretty much an oversized salt water hot tub.

Edited by Meredisney