credit & ATM cards - chips

kcbarker

None.

For 99% of your uses it won't matter. In my experience some automatic ticket machines work (e.g., Paris subway) and some don't (Paris commuter trains, unmanned gas pumps, some toll booths). Anywhere a human is involved they can swipe the magnetic stripe and give you a receipt to sign in situations where Europeans enter a PIN.

we just got our new visa cards. They are chip enabled,also they are like a easy pass, just tap on machine, but they still have the magnetic strip on the back..Canada has stepped into the 21st century..! Not all merchants have switched to the chip enabled terminals..

Dona

A European "chip" card isn't a proximity "tap" card such as the "Paypass" Mastercard and Visa cards available in the US and Canada. The European cards have electric contacts and you insert them into a slot. Rather than a signature you enter a PIN.

Smartcard3.png.jpg

Americn Express used to have contacts on some cards but they didn't use the European contact card standards.

If I've misinterpreted the OP's question I apologize...

None of the US credit cards use the technology that European credit cards use. If you're traveling outside the US, just tell the merchant you need to use the "swipe" machine to purchase your charges. They usually keep them under the counter for US credit cards.

I've just asked about swiping cards at my little village shop. They still have the facility for swiping cards, although not all cards.....we had an Amex one (for the points), and that can't be used. Sometimes these tiny shops rely on students/part-timers, who may not know about swiping, but always ask for someone senior, who should know it can be done. We have many Americans living and working in the village, so that may be why all the staff know about swiping!- at least, they informed me that it was absolutely no problem.

Jo.

although not all cards.....we had an Amex one (for the points), and that can't be used.
Interesting. I've read (here?) that Amex doesn't issued chip&PIN cards, even in Europe. It might be that your merchant just doesn't accept Amex at all. It's not universally accepted in the US (as Visa and Mastercard seem to be).

I don't believe that any of the US banks or credit card companies have adopted the chip technology yet...and I am not sure why not.:confused:

My Chase ATM card has the implanted chip (what most Europeans refer to as a "bug"). For some reason their credit cards are not yet so enhanced.

Interesting. I've read (here?) that Amex doesn't issued chip&PIN cards, even in Europe. It might be that your merchant just doesn't accept Amex at all. It's not universally accepted in the US (as Visa and Mastercard seem to be).

Yes, that's true- the shop doesn't accept Amex, in fact, we've found very few places that do. We had it because we could have a free European flight with the points- but it proved pointless(:rolleyes:) !!!

Jo.

My Chase ATM card has the implanted chip (what most Europeans refer to as a "bug"). For some reason their credit cards are not yet so enhanced.

Interesting, I didn't know that. We bank with BOA in AZ and have an Alaska Airlines CC which is underwritten by BOA. Neither or the CC or ATM cards have the chip. Out of curiosity when you use you ATM card for a purchase do you push the end of the card into the bottom of the card reader and leave it there while you enter your PIN?

Yep, the card readers read the chip, there is no magnetic stripe to read:

http://www.chipandpin.co.uk/reflib/Customer_Leaflet.pdf

The chip technology is now wide spread in Canada so I am quite familiar with the process, I was wondering about the Chase card with the chip in the US and if the op had used it?

Archived