Polite Passengers and Not polite Passengers

sjn911

I haven't read the entire thread yet but I can say that my opinion has changed about the Jetblue flight attendant since yesterday:D. Originally I thought, yikes, this guy's a loose cannon. Probably needs some counselling (likely still does lol.) Then, on my American Airlines flight home from Chicago yesterday as we were waiting to deplane (keep in mind this is a commuter jet with about 70 passengers - basically deplanes in about 3 mins if people do it in order) this one really obnoxious family is up and in the aisle trying to push their way through as people in more forward seats are trying to grab their bags from the overhead compartments and walk off. They were loud and snotty and people on the plane had been doing some eye rolling about them throughout the flight. Clearly, in their minds, they were also the only people on the plane who had somewhere to be:rolleyes:. They also were shlepping so much crap that as they're pushing up the aisle they're whacking people still in their seats with various different projectiles. My breaking point came when the woman's biga$$-stuffed-to-the-brim-bag slung over her shoulder landed on my head and stayed there when she couldn't push further up the aisle. I told her, "lady, you've got exactly a second and a half to get that bag off my head or I'm going Jetblue." Her answer? "Jeez what a bi%ch." :D I had to laugh.

I just don't know yet either..go back and forth..enjoyed your post. We get into funny one liners like that around these parts:D.

My original thoughts in posting were just all of what I call the stories within the stories..customer service and all its issues in cruise and travel..how we all dish it around here..flying there and getting there on time and safely is so much a part of the cruise and ...how far does killing the cat with kindness go...compassion for both sides of the situation...increases everywhere on going postal... what does everyone think...definitely will be a new lexicon. Heard "pulling a Slater" on the news today...sjn.

Seeing the social security post made me think back to experiences at the E/R of our local hospital. Sometimes you have to wonder "what the HE** are they thinking" when they train employees.

DH had a terrible chainsaw accident back in 2002. Got a mobile life ride to the hospital. I didn't ride in the ambulance with him as I had to go back to our store and button things up quickly for the day. When I arrived at the E/R they had him already on a bed seeing a doctor. On my way in I had already notified our insurance company of the emergency. A young lady walks over to me and asks "do you have insurance?" I say yes, he has GHI, we're insured. She leaves, comes back later and asks for his insurance card. Now mind you he is exposed to the staff there and this kid can see he is bleeding everywhere. She asks "can I have his insurance card?" I say "it's in his wallet which is in his back pocket and I am not disturbing these doctors right now" (he had just had a seizure) she leaves. After he comes back from a cat scan I get his wallet and give the young lady the card. She comes back after photocopying it, gives me the card and says "you have a $50 co-pay, can I have it?" I asked her if I looked like a walking ATM machine. She never came back after that.

I've also been in the E/R with my grandma when the ambulance corp wheeled in a lady (in a neck brace, fastened down to a gurney) from a car accident. I watched a woman come over to her with a clipboard and ask her if she had insurance.

Sometimes you really have to wonder..........

and by the way, the Nurses at the Cornwall/St Luke's hospitals are the best!:D

WOW! I've never flown Jet Blue. The attendants are that scary?:eek:

they have great planes...wide comfortable leather seats and lots and lots of legroom! The comfort they provide is worth a million bucks.

IMHO....all flight attendants are irritable these days and since I stick with Jetblue..I only notice them.....We flew Continental to Europe 2 years ago and they were quite pleasant. However, the 10pm redeye to Rome is usually booked so that you can sleep anyway.

Personally, I don't care about the attendants...because I doubt they would put me first in an emergency....so I just go with the flow.

I will still say the Jetblue is top notch...just do not expect warm and fuzzy from the employees on the plane. Their Cust. Service is good though and I did have some conversation with the pilot upon debark and he was more than pleasant.

My money is still on the flight attendant in this case being the bad guy.

I happened to be looking at cruise videos on you tube and I hit the one where passengers were going cuckoo on board the Miracle back in August 2008. That's the cruise that got chased all over the place because of a hurricane. All you could see was a short clip of people screaming. Where are their brains???? (I supposed I can answer that question myself by saying up their you know what)

We were on Legend in 2004 when the ship was almost a day late coming back because of a medical emergency. Carnival gave everyone a $10 OBC for what they called "missing lunch" Most of us did not board until after midnight, so no one was happy with the offering. We said we were going to have a good time despite the 4 hour wait in a 90 degree terminal and that we would write a letter to Carnival when we returned home. There were crowds of people at the purser's desk screaming at the employees. Everything from I want my cruise money back to take off all my gratuities. One bartender told us her friend who worked the pursers desk was quitting her job. What the heck were these people going to do for them?? They don't have the authority to give refunds. My husband finally started asking some of these nitwits "would you NOT want the cruise line to do everything in their power to help you if you had a medical emergency?" (we heard it was a 35 year old man who had a massive heart attack)

Reminds me now of what I was told as a child ----"if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

As a plus one forJetblue.. read that each passenger did get a $100 for the inconveinience...and it was a messy one for them..probably makes great business sense for them to appease everyone with a standard deal like that instead of full ticket price arguements etc..but I like that practice.

I have been punched by a drug addict coming up from anestesia, :mad: whipped by a dementia patient who didn't realize that I was keeping her in bed to protect the hip she just had replaced. (she used the air hoses from her compression boots) :( and had surgical instruments thrown at me by a frustrated surgeon (he was mad because he couldn't get close enough to his incision to operate comfortably due to the patients girth.):eek:

yep! Time to go where people are nice.:o

I NEED A CRUISE! :D

hey tao, i am a circulator and experienced the same except the air hose whipping! lol, but i did have a kid crack a rib once - his dad got him so worked up about surgery that the poor kid was beyond the help of versed.

2 more weeks until my first vip cruise. :D

Seeing the social security post made me think back to experiences at the E/R of our local hospital. Sometimes you have to wonder "what the HE** are they thinking" when they train employees.

DH had a terrible chainsaw accident back in 2002. Got a mobile life ride to the hospital. I didn't ride in the ambulance with him as I had to go back to our store and button things up quickly for the day. When I arrived at the E/R they had him already on a bed seeing a doctor. On my way in I had already notified our insurance company of the emergency. A young lady walks over to me and asks "do you have insurance?" I say yes, he has GHI, we're insured. She leaves, comes back later and asks for his insurance card. Now mind you he is exposed to the staff there and this kid can see he is bleeding everywhere. She asks "can I have his insurance card?" I say "it's in his wallet which is in his back pocket and I am not disturbing these doctors right now" (he had just had a seizure) she leaves. After he comes back from a cat scan I get his wallet and give the young lady the card. She comes back after photocopying it, gives me the card and says "you have a $50 co-pay, can I have it?" I asked her if I looked like a walking ATM machine. She never came back after that.

I've also been in the E/R with my grandma when the ambulance corp wheeled in a lady (in a neck brace, fastened down to a gurney) from a car accident. I watched a woman come over to her with a clipboard and ask her if she had insurance.

Sometimes you really have to wonder..........

and by the way, the Nurses at the Cornwall/St Luke's hospitals are the best!:D

Had years of navigating myself to ER until they figured out my gallbladder was bad...sometimes in taxi..sometimes myself and needing to leave car there overnight..and progressively worse until they Finally figured it out...

Your story just made me remember the torture..doubled over kissing the floor practically and the fishing through for the insurance card...the layers until the nurses and getting there..amazing..terrible deal with your DH..wow.

You know it's almost like you have to be 5 minutes from dead sometimes to avoid a deal like you described..yes most are wonderful in the nursing level of hospitals but...well thanks for your story..sjn

Some of the news channels are reporting that his story may not be true.

Many passengers who were interviewed saw a gash on his forehead upon boarding, or were sitting right near where he said there was an argument with the passenger.

Many stated that no argument took place....and he did not get hit by the overhead door or luggage.

Now we wait and see what the truth really is.

hey tao, i am a circulator and experienced the same except the air hose whipping! lol, but i did have a kid crack a rib once - his dad got him so worked up about surgery that the poor kid was beyond the help of versed.

2 more weeks until my first vip cruise. :D

VIP Woo Hoo..

Appreciate the nursing stories..was in Critical Care as the Ward Aide..so had a lot I was helping the nurses with..and you all are just great..what the dying alcoholic patients did..well not ready for prime time explanations..can relate a bit here..

Happy VIP cruise!! sjn

Some of the news channels are reporting that his story may not be true.

Many passengers who were interviewed saw a gash on his forehead upon boarding, or were sitting right near where he said there was an argument with the passenger.

Many stated that no argument took place....and he did not get hit by the overhead door or luggage.

Now we wait and see what the truth really is.

Yes and it is relevant to our travel and the times!!!

I suspect it will take a few days around the robin to the truth...

His forhead looked scabbed over..not like a brand new new bump..but do not know..sjn.

For all of those who posted who are in the medical field, I just want to say thank you for all you do. I was in the hospital 4 straight months and another 2 months off and on due to gallstone pancreatitis (and then a case of endometrial cancer that hopefully is cured). In the past year and a half have had 7 operations, with one left, and I consider the nurses, doctors, and all others who cared for me to be heroes. I was very, very ill and almost didn't survive, but even at my sickest would never have considered being rude to the people who were taking care of me. I mean, even if you are just thinking of yourself, that is a pretty stupid thing to do. For example, someone on a unit has to be the last one to get their pain meds! I loved my nurses, and still go to see them when I have a doctor's appointment. I wouldn't be alive now without those who cared for me. Just wanted to let you know how much many patients appreciate you! I know it must be a tough job.

For all of those who posted who are in the medical field, I just want to say thank you for all you do. I was in the hospital 4 straight months and another 2 months off and on due to gallstone pancreatitis (and then a case of endometrial cancer that hopefully is cured). In the past year and a half have had 7 operations, with one left, and I consider the nurses, doctors, and all others who cared for me to be heroes. I was very, very ill and almost didn't survive, but even at my sickest would never have considered being rude to the people who were taking care of me. I mean, even if you are just thinking of yourself, that is a pretty stupid thing to do. For example, someone on a unit has to be the last one to get their pain meds! I loved my nurses, and still go to see them when I have a doctor's appointment. I wouldn't be alive now without those who cared for me. Just wanted to let you know how much many patients appreciate you! I know it must be a tough job.

I think the saying that the healer and the healed are one holds much truth.

You have such kind words and enormous strengh to have come through that..kind regards...sjn.

I retired as an airline pilot a couple of years ago. Often on long international 12 hr plus flights from South America to the States I would encounter passengers starting trouble before we were even off the gate. A sure sign that things would deteriorate on the long flight. I would point out 2 facts to these (potential) trouble makers. 1. It is about a 3 week bus ride from Argentina to the Mexican border. 2. They certainly did not want to end up in a Amazion Jungle jail. That usually worked! I can see how this fellow went Slater!

Had years of navigating myself to ER until they figured out my gallbladder was bad...sometimes in taxi..sometimes myself and needing to leave car there overnight..and progressively worse until they Finally figured it out...

Your story just made me remember the torture..doubled over kissing the floor practically and the fishing through for the insurance card...the layers until the nurses and getting there..amazing..terrible deal with your DH..wow.

You know it's almost like you have to be 5 minutes from dead sometimes to avoid a deal like you described..yes most are wonderful in the nursing level of hospitals but...well thanks for your story..sjn

SJN, I feel your pain. I also had gallbladder problems around this time last year and was in the ER several times as well. I think the last time I went was after about 4 hours of intense pain that I couldn't take anymore. It was late at night and empty but I still had to sit there for over an HOUR and wait till they looked at me! I'm thankful that all the other times the staff elsewhere were wonderful. I wish you well and hope you are 100% recovered now.

SJN, I feel your pain. I also had gallbladder problems around this time last year and was in the ER several times as well. I think the last time I went was after about 4 hours of intense pain that I couldn't take anymore. It was late at night and empty but I still had to sit there for over an HOUR and wait till they looked at me! I'm thankful that all the other times the staff elsewhere were wonderful. I wish you well and hope you are 100% recovered now.

That is awful nice of you..

I have similar (but not nearly as bad) problems now from surgical pins..due to just abnormal anatomy..changes in surgical protocol, original surgery so late in the game..and it has taken lots of chronic pain work..but not cancer..and not as hard as so many people. So yes I am recovered and at the next step of dealing with what is..maybe next is surgery..had to cancel fall Splendor:(..but it is all working out..I am going to be fine...and I've learned so much in so many different areas...spritual, physical, mind-body medicine..just so much. {Another plug for insurance that is covering most cancel costs}...{think I'll only be out around $75..and about $200 in for maybe a quick trip ahead}. I did book ES and do not think personally I'll go that way again..I will get the $200 on board credit as part of the working it out..or maybe a refund..either way ok ins, is handling.

I have mentioned it about few times on these boards in context to a conversation..because really at current next step and geting my mind around another possible surgery..:o. Its helped to be online a bit more last 2 days..mind over matter wise....

Well thanks..I'm wordy..:o..but a good egg. Sometimes I think there should be required nitty gritty ward aide/nursing type work for every human being at sometime in their early adut years...changes one's perspective and helps one learn and deal with a million issues..definitely levels the playing field..attributes to tolerance, compassion..etc.

Well the news is out tonite on the plane/steward subject...

Thanks again..sjn.

Has anyone noticed though that since 9-11 and flight attendants having more power, they are not as friendly and helpful as they used to be? They are not the only profession of course. There's a few in large unionized workplaces who treat customers badly too. It's not always just the customers. The last couple of times I've flown, I've noticed flight attendants seem annoyed if they're asked for a drink, blankety etc. I'm not sure if it's a power trip because they can boot someone off if they give it back to them or what. Has anyone else noticed this?

We've generally had very good luck with flight attendants, both before and after 9/11. I can only think of two that were a little snippy, but in both cases I could fully understand why. Generally I give them the benefit of the doubt; since my fellow passengers tend to irritate the heck out of me, I can only imagine how they must feel.

But then again, I rarely ask them for anything at all. I bring my own neck pillow, come prepared for any temperature (dress in layers with a nice, warm sweater as the topping), and bring plenty of snacks and entertainment devices to keep the hubby and kids happy. Half the time I don't even take a drink from them, since it'll just make me have to go anyway.

A not-so-polite passenger that has been worth thousands of laughs since. I was only around 30 years old, so this is WAYYY back. On a Cunard ship. I was on deck 2 waiting for the lift. The door opens and this LOL charges out like a blitzing linebacker. She is 5X5 in size, short and wide and maybe 70 years old. [Now I'm as old as she was then] She charges out about 4 feet, stops and looks left, right, left, right, frowning all the time. I ask, "Mam'm may I help you?" "I'm looking for the Promenade Deck!" she answers. "I'm going there." I tell her," I'll show you." Well she has pushed ALL the buttons like a teeny bopper. So we stop at each deck. And when the door opens, out she charges and does her l,r,l,r look. "I'll tell you when we get there!" I say again. Doesn't help, she charges out on each stop! We arrive at the Promenade deck. She charges out and I say, "This is it." She looks left, right, left, right, says, "This isn't the deck I wanted!" And punches me in the stomach out of frustration! Now I was a large young guy and the punch wasn't much, but I almost fell down laughing.

We've generally had very good luck with flight attendants, both before and after 9/11. I can only think of two that were a little snippy, but in both cases I could fully understand why. Generally I give them the benefit of the doubt; since my fellow passengers tend to irritate the heck out of me, I can only imagine how they must feel.

But then again, I rarely ask them for anything at all. I bring my own neck pillow, come prepared for any temperature (dress in layers with a nice, warm sweater as the topping), and bring plenty of snacks and entertainment devices to keep the hubby and kids happy. Half the time I don't even take a drink from them, since it'll just make me have to go anyway.

I'm just like you bankerbabe, had good luck with flight attendants, so far ;) and I too bring my own snacks and pillow. I don't drink anything unless it's a really long flight because I loath using the bathroom on the plane, lol! :o

We arrive at the Promenade deck. She charges out and I say, "This is it." She looks left, right, left, right, says, "This isn't the deck I wanted!" And punches me in the stomach out of frustration! Now I was a large young guy and the punch wasn't much, but I almost fell down laughing.

Oh my! :eek:

Dan 40..Great story!!!

Never forget witnessing my own Grandmother about oh 90-92..yes she drove until a month before she died at 97.5...only to the grocery store, hairdresser and bank by then...

Well, I'm visiting..we're at the grocery store..prime time crowds..we have her three or four items..the cart is a walker type support..but only for her 95 lbs and stability..she purses her lips gives me the eye and knocks the cart of the person ahead of us out into the aisle..they had forgotten something and decided to go fetch it..bad move.

I remember my first big airplane trip..i.e. 5 plus hrs..1979..Hawaii. Think then everyone complained about the Senior Stewardesses getting too old, ugly and crabby..they got those routes..now it's a guy about that same age that looses it..sjn.

PS Dan...you're young.

and had surgical instruments thrown at me by a frustrated surgeon .):eek:

I NEED A CRUISE! :D

been there.. had a loaded needle driver thrown at me..then the dr. wondered why the count was off..

• 2 years later...
Anyone empathise with the Jetblue steward??? Just saw the long blurb on CNN re. his meltdown and exit... Comments from a reporter who heard his swan song...she did not see aggravating passenger...

Anyone have a story to tell about a passenger who may have deserved such an exit from a Carnival worker..they can not as easily bail once docked..I sure bet they have fanatsies too..

And no..it is not the way to go..possible injuries with schute deployment etc....but it just got me thinking...

Comments?? Sorry if I missed another thread..tried to check...

What ever happened to this guy?

Archived