Turkey for Thanksgiving?

algorithmannie

We're booked for the November 20 Thanksgiving cruise on the Eclipse. It's not that big of a deal, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has experience with Thanksgiving cruises. Does the ship do anything special? Is there a regular dinner that night with a turkey item on the menu?

Never have sailed during holidays, but this time worked out for the best because some of us are short on vacation days at work.

Thanks!

We're booked for the November 20 Thanksgiving cruise on the Eclipse. It's not that big of a deal, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has experience with Thanksgiving cruises. Does the ship do anything special? Is there a regular dinner that night with a turkey item on the menu?

Never have sailed during holidays, but this time worked out for the best because some of us are short on vacation days at work.

Thanks!

I did a Thanksgiving cruise on the Constellation and they did have a traditional turkey dinner on the menu. If I remember correctly, it was also our formal night. Other than that it was just another day. But a nice memory.

Enjoy!

--Shauna

OP, thanks for asking this question! I recently booked the same cruise and was wondering the same thing. :)

An added question - does Celebrity start decorating for the holidays immediately after Thanksgiving, or does that usually happen at the beginning of Dec? Wondering if we'll see some Christmas decorations too.

Yes there will be turkey on the MDR menu on thanksgiving. We were on the Solstice sailing Nov. 30 and they started to decorate that week we were on. We have also been on Explorer of the Seas for Thanksgiving and that ship started to decorated the friday after Thanksgiving.

Pat

We were on Equinox for Thanksgiving in 2009. Not to slam the MDR (because most meals were quite tasty), that Thanksgiving dinner was the worst one we ever had. Turkey was dry and tough, stuffing was not good and I don't want to even discuss the pumpkin pie. It was just sad. They had turkey earlier that day at a Captain's Club event and it was great. Wish we had realized that dinner was not going to be good, we would have filled up!

OP, thanks for asking this question! I recently booked the same cruise and was wondering the same thing. :)

An added question - does Celebrity start decorating for the holidays immediately after Thanksgiving, or does that usually happen at the beginning of Dec? Wondering if we'll see some Christmas decorations too.

We sailed on Nov 30th, about 4 days after Thanksgiving, they had just started decorating, & each day they did a little bit more, it was really pretty, they did a little Chanukah decor too.

We've been on a couple of X Cruises over Thanksgiving. Yes, there was a turkey/mashed potatoes selection on the MDR menu. I was disappointed that there wasn't traditional stuffing.

The turkey dinner selection was just one of the menu items - not a "special" dinner like those we Americans are used to having on Thanksgiving.

That said - it's so great to be on a cruise at Thanksgiving ( well, any time!) - 'cause when DH and I were working we only had to take 3 vacation days to get that week off. Boy did we treat those days off like gold!

Hope you enjoy your cruise!:)

We had Tukey dinner on Costa Atlantica last year, and Century the year before. We found both dinners to be lackluster, yet a welcomed reminder of home. Still, nothing beats a good old fashioned homestyle turkey dinner, really pre portioned food is not our ideal way of enjoying thanksgiving. Thankfully we get to usually celebrate thanksgiving twice as Canada celebrates on a different day than the US!

Infi, join our roll call for the sailing! We're a small group looking to grow :-)

Don't think I'm dreaming, but on the Summit a couple years ago, they had a turkey dinner on the menu on our winter cruise..not for Thanksgiving. My dh ordered it and said it was NOT good. I took it as a compliment as he generally loves all the fixins that go along when I make it! :D

I don't believe it's on the regular menu any longer.

We were on the Solstice over Thanksgiving in 2008 and we were in Aqua so we ate in Blu - the turkey dinner was delicious! We are on the Eclipse for this Thanksgiving and can't wait to eat in Blu for Thanksgiving again!:)

We were on the Mercury a few years ago and they had a traditional thanksgiving dinner with stuffing and pumpkin pie. It was not fit to eat. One of the worst meals we ever had anywhere. It is funny because earlier in the cruise they had turkey with all the fixings and it was good.

We were on Solstice last year at Thanksgiving, and turkey was an option on the dinner menu. We didn't select it because for us turkey is Christmas dinner, but our table mates were not too impressed. (with the turkey, not with us for not choosing it, as far as I know!) The other options were the usual menu items. On the second half of our B2B, the Christmas decorations began to appear. Lots of trees and lights around the ship, very tasteful, not garish. The view from the elevators was really pretty.

Sheila

We cruise over Thanksgiving every year (our kids think that THAT is the tradition) and love it. My Mom doesn't have to cook and we enjoy all the family time.

OP, we will be with you on the Eclipse November 20...three generations looking for relaxation and fun! Sign up on the Roll Call Board.

See you on board!

Infi, join our roll call for the sailing! We're a small group looking to grow :-)

Thanks, Michael - will do. I've been meaning to check it out, just haven't had the time recently!

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences on Thanksgiving onboard. Looks like we might stay away from the turkey, given some of the reviews :eek: We can always have it at home, anyway!

Now that we resolved Turkey for Thanksgiving on the Eclipse, . . .

I wonder what the Black Friday sales and crowds will be like in the shops the day after. :)

I'm sure people will be out of their cabins by 5am, lining up in front of the ships' stores.;)

Archived