Does this bother anyone else?

So if I take a paper bag (like a lunch sack) to put uhmm....lets just say 'unmentionables' into, am I understanding correctly that the bag will be opened and picked through???

I've worked in healthcare for longer than I wish to admit, so from a standpoint of being squicked, no - not at all.

Really? Is it legit that all trash is sorted, even if wrapped in a separate bag?

I agree totally. When my children were in diapers I used to wrap the soiled ones in little scented diaper-dootie bags and then tie a knot in them before disposing of it.

What I've noticed is a lack of trash cans around the ship. Sometimes I can't finish an ice cream cone and don't know what to do with it so I have to dispose of it in a restroom. :confused:

Lol, I always seem to have room for the ice cream!

I have a friend that takes all her old "undies" along when she travels and then throws them out each day, saves on taking them home, I know, it's really wierd. I wouldn't be able to do it. Good thing she's not a cruiser..

Ha, Ha. Imagine them finding them in the trash every day.....:)

That's so funny. A friend of mine suggested that I do that too!

So if I take a paper bag (like a lunch sack) to put uhmm....lets just say 'unmentionables' into, am I understanding correctly that the bag will be opened and picked through???

I've worked in healthcare for longer than I wish to admit, so from a standpoint of being squicked, no - not at all.

Really? Is it legit that all trash is sorted, even if wrapped in a separate bag?

There should be little paper bags already in the bathroom for that purpose. ;) I think that way they KNOW not to bother opening that and just dispose of it. If they aren't there, just ask your steward.

But everything else is sorted. If it can be recycled like glass or aluminum, it is kept to be offloaded in port. Food scraps are ground into a pulp and discharged at the proper limit away from shore. Paper/cloth items are incinerated. Other items that can't be disposed of another way are kept for trash to be taken off in port. Having been to the room where they do this, it's taken VERY seriously and each ship has an environmental officer to make sure everything is done correctly and in compliance with local, Federal, and maritime laws.

My mom does this too... bras and undies. I always wondered what the point was... really' date=' how MUCH space do dirty undies take up??[/quote']

My underwear always makes it home but I always take clothes that I am ready to discard (just don't like them anymore, they don't fit that well, whatever) and I leave those behind at the end of the cruise with a note.

Going TO the cruise I have all my underwear, makeup, formal outfit/shoes and 3 outfits in my carry on. Everything else in the big suitcase. I usually leave behind 1/3 of my clothes. I pack all my clothes in the packed suitcase for return trip and keep in my carry on: underwear, makeup, valuables and souvenirs.

We rented a home in the Dominican Republic and there were no trash bags anywhere. I really didn't notice until I saw the maid cleaning all the trash cans each morning with a water hose and dish soap!!! Trash bags costs money and are a luxury to some people. I now know that. :( I guess as long as I don't have to take out the trash I don't care as long as my garbage can is properly sanitized..... Maybe carry on your own bags if it is truly an issue...????

Every cruise I say the same thing to my husband--" why don't they put trash bags in there" It drives me crazy. Especially when you put a can or cup that had liquid in it. I need to clean off my trash before I throw it away!! I'm sure they have good reasons but it does and will continue to drive me nuts. I understand the recycling issues but I feel like I am making my stewards' job more messy. ( yes, I am one that makes sure our cabin is neat before the steward comes in to clean it up)

Tina

What I've noticed is a lack of trash cans around the ship. Sometimes I can't finish an ice cream cone and don't know what to do with it so I have to dispose of it in a restroom. :confused:

YES! I hate that! Drives me crazy to have to seach for a trash can. They should have them in the obvious places at least.

:) Kerry

Glad to see I'm not the only one it bothers. I have seem them spray & wipe the cans or put them in the shower and rinse them out when emptied. You can ask for bags if you want them, they've always gave them to me. Now it's just habit to throw some small bags I get at the dollar store in the suitcase.

The way the cabin stewards are they would probably take them out, fold them and put them on the bed or sofa.

Too true! I got a 3-corner tear in a t-shirt and every time I threw it away it ended up neatly folded in my drawer -- I tried to get rid of that dang thing the whole week!:D I finally ended up taking it home and made a fine dust rag out of it...

I agree -- I'd like liners! They make bio-degradable ones and some brands are out of recycled materials. I usually end up using my shopping bags (that way I HAVE TO shop every day!)

Becca

Glad to see I'm not the only one it bothers. I have seem them spray & wipe the cans or put them in the shower and rinse them out when emptied. You can ask for bags if you want them, they've always gave them to me. Now it's just habit to throw some small bags I get at the dollar store in the suitcase.

This is why I will be taking cleaning/sanitizing products with me on the cruise!!! Clorox wipes - anyone??? I can't imagine putting my bare feet in water where trash has been emptied!!!!!!!

This is why I will be taking cleaning/sanitizing products with me on the cruise!!! Clorox wipes - anyone??? I can't imagine putting my bare feet in water where trash has been emptied!!!!!!!

LOL! I know and yes wipes come with me. I'm a wiper :D.

Nope, I never really gave it a thought. If they used plastic trash bags. Just think of the overall cost. They empty the can twice a day for seven days in all 1500 or more cabins. Then think of the fact that there are 22 different ships in Carnival fleet. I know I wouldn't want to buy all those trash bags $$$$$$$.:D

Most likely making for more work since they have to open each and sort them. And then throw away the plastic, which they were trying to avoid in the first place.

Good point. I never thought of the recycling staff having to open each bag and sort through it.

Sandy

I also think it's gross. I think I will bring some bags on my next cruise. I understand sorting trash but NOT bathroom trash. :eek:

I still don't get it? The feminine hygiene items should be in the little bags they provide. What else in there would be any worse than any other trash can?

Those bags you are bringing just cause extra work for the steward and garbage room staff. They still have to open and sort them.

Besides, it's not like anyone is sticking their head in the trashcan and licking it? I truly don't get the issue.

The fact that there is no trash can liner in the trash can? I feel really bad throwing my trash in a trash can with no liner. My first cruise I put a Wal-Mart bag in the trash can on the first day thinking they just forgot to put one in, but they emptied it took my bag and still didn't put a liner in. My second cruise I was prepared and just dealt with it. I know the whole reducing your trash thing, but wouldn't it be easier to keep clean if they used liners and just didn't pull the liner out every time?

If it bothers you......you could always take your own liners. Plastic Walmart bags would work.

The trash on board is separated prior to disposal or storage. Take the Behind The Fun tour and you will see the process. So all you are doing is making more work for the crew by putting plastic bags in the cans. I personally thank that they have enough to do without having to deal with passengers phobias.

But it does make it hard to trash my empty mini bottles. Can't have them thinking I am using the ones from the mini bar.

So they take a trip to a restroom trash can and make the sound loud thunk when they hit the bottom.

No, I am not trying to hijack the thread or start anything. I honestly got miffed when I found that there was no plastic bag in the bathroom trash can.

My mom does this too... bras and undies. I always wondered what the point was... really' date=' how MUCH space do dirty undies take up??[/quote']

At least it means that every time she vacations, she gets all-new undies when she gets home! No old and raggedys like Mama always warns you not to wear in case of an accident!

Archived