Does this bother anyone else?

The fact that there is no trash can liner in the trash can? I feel really bad throwing my trash in a trash can with no liner. My first cruise I put a Wal-Mart bag in the trash can on the first day thinking they just forgot to put one in, but they emptied it took my bag and still didn't put a liner in. My second cruise I was prepared and just dealt with it. I know the whole reducing your trash thing, but wouldn't it be easier to keep clean if they used liners and just didn't pull the liner out every time?

I have seen in some of the restrooms next to the trash cans, a pair of tongs. (yes tongs, not thongs!) I figured they were there for whoever came in to do a quick clean would use them to retrive the trash. So that's probably how it's done in the rooms as well.

Thank God I'm not the only one bothered by this. It drives me crazy! I keep imagining the poor steward plucking my dirty, nasty kleenex out of the can.

Yeah, I know that they just tip the thing upside down into their larger can, but still . . . . . what if I put something sticky in there? Ew!

It really doesn't bother me. I've seen them replace and sanitize the cans in the room. Not only do the bags cost, they then have to open them and sort all the trash and dispose of them. All trash onboard is hand sorted for recyclables, what can be ground as food waste, what can be incinerated, and what must be off loaded in port. They then also need space to store all those trash bags and they add weight to the vessel and then they have to dispose of the used bags. As long as the can is kept clean I'd rather them not use the bags.

The fact that there is no trash can liner in the trash can? I feel really bad throwing my trash in a trash can with no liner. My first cruise I put a Wal-Mart bag in the trash can on the first day thinking they just forgot to put one in, but they emptied it took my bag and still didn't put a liner in. My second cruise I was prepared and just dealt with it. I know the whole reducing your trash thing, but wouldn't it be easier to keep clean if they used liners and just didn't pull the liner out every time?

Several hotels we've stayed in use the same routine. No liners, just bare waste baskets. Doesn't bother us.

It really doesn't bother me. I've seen them replace and sanitize the cans in the room. Not only do the bags cost, they then have to open them and sort all the trash and dispose of them. All trash onboard is hand sorted for recyclables, what can be ground as food waste, what can be incinerated, and what must be off loaded in port. They then also need space to store all those trash bags and they add weight to the vessel and then they have to dispose of the used bags. As long as the can is kept clean I'd rather them not use the bags.

I wonder what the person gets paid to sort the trash! Ewww....

I have a friend that takes all her old "undies" along when she travels and then throws them out each day, saves on taking them home, I know, it's really wierd. I wouldn't be able to do it. Good thing she's not a cruiser..

Ha, Ha. Imagine them finding them in the trash every day.....:)

My fiance is a smoker and we are bringing our butt-can. This way if we are on our balcony the ashes will not blow around and just be self contained. Another poster suggested to me to bring a box of zippie bags to empty the butt can into so we do not have to just dump it in the garbage can. I don't want the room steward to have to deal with nasty cig-butts so this suggestion was right-on. :)

Thank God I'm not the only one bothered by this. It drives me crazy! I keep imagining the poor steward plucking my dirty, nasty kleenex out of the can.

Yeah, I know that they just tip the thing upside down into their larger can, but still . . . . . what if I put something sticky in there? Ew!

It bothers me, too. I now bring the small snack size baggies for used tissues, Q-tips, and whatever. Helps me feel that I am making less of a mess for the cabin stewards.

Sandy

NO. We can all do with less plastics in this world.

It bothers me, too. I now bring the small snack size baggies for used tissues, Q-tips, and whatever. Helps me feel that I am making less of a mess for the cabin stewards.

Sandy

Most likely making for more work since they have to open each and sort them. And then throw away the plastic, which they were trying to avoid in the first place.

I have a friend that takes all her old "undies" along when she travels and then throws them out each day, saves on taking them home, I know, it's really wierd. I wouldn't be able to do it. Good thing she's not a cruiser..

My mom does this too... bras and undies. I always wondered what the point was... really, how MUCH space do dirty undies take up??

If I don't have to empty or clean the can, I don't care about a liner.

Frankly I've got other things to worry about.

Now that's funny.

The way the cabin stewards are they would probably take them out, fold them and put them on the bed or sofa.

I wonder what the person gets paid to sort the trash! Ewww....

Gets my vote for worst job on the ship. I had seen it on one of the travel channel shows on cruising one time and thought it was yucky then. We did the Behind the Fun tour on the Pride and visited the waste disposal room. I didn't think I'd make it out without tossing my cookies it smelled so bad. :eek: I can't imagine working in it all day and going through people's nasty trash.

So if I take a paper bag (like a lunch sack) to put uhmm....lets just say 'unmentionables' into, am I understanding correctly that the bag will be opened and picked through???

I've worked in healthcare for longer than I wish to admit, so from a standpoint of being squicked, no - not at all.

Really? Is it legit that all trash is sorted, even if wrapped in a separate bag?

Archived