Chef table experience

worktocruise08

Mach,

I have seen a different menu posted. It is just about the same as what you did, but it included shrimp instead of I think the Calamari. I am highly allergic to shrimp and I saw at some point people were asked if they were allergic to anything. Do you know something about this?

Also, do you know what kind of white and red wines they serve? For example, my DH is not a wine drinker, but he will drink some kinds of white wine. He does the ones on the sweeter side, ie Riesling. I am good with most reds so I don't think that what is served is one I would dislike.

I also read that cocktails were served with hors d'oeuvres before the actual dinner. Are there specific cocktails or can you order whatever you'd like?

Thanks for your answers.

There are minor variations ship to ship... voyage to voyage depending on the availability of ingredients but the constants are the sea bass and the tenderloin... wonderful stuff!!

:)

Hi Brenda, Tom doesnt know about this so im hoping its a secret until the night before

I would jump on the chance to do the Miracle again but december just doesnt work for us as vaction schedules at my work dont alot for to many to be off due to holidays and the calendar is packed now. this is also to close to the destiny AI in january.

Kujobie- yes i do believe its overpriced.. but i also believe life is about expiencing different things at least once. I am willing to pay this cost once but yes that will be my limit, i can then state I have been there and done that. What i think is crazy is someone forking over 30 bucks to eat in a steakhouse when the food in the MDR is perfectly find. I have done this twice and still wondering why. $30 could be used on something more fun and enjoyable then a 2 hr steak dinner.IMHO. im not flaming you for doing this only stating that i feel the same way about the SH that you do about the CT

I'm fairly sure that folks who think it's overpriced have not experienced the Chef's Table.

Consider that 12 folks pay $75/pp. That's a total of $900... not exactly a big money maker for Carnival. The take from the steak house each evening is considerably higher.

I believe that the Chef's Table is a simple exercise on offering an upscale experience for folks who are interested. It's a wonderful departure from the WalMart stereotype that people like to brand Carnival with...

I'm fairly sure that folks who think it's overpriced have not experienced the Chef's Table.

Consider that 12 folks pay $75/pp. That's a total of $900... not exactly a big money maker for Carnival. The take from the steak house each evening is considerably higher.

I believe that the Chef's Table is a simple exercise on offering an upscale experience for folks who are interested. It's a wonderful departure from the WalMart stereotype that people like to brand Carnival with...

Would never think that this is a big money maker for Carnival but lets put this in perpective, do you really think that it takes $900. to make this total meal.Your right thou I have not experienced this to make a value opinion,,, yet, wont know until October so until then I will slightly believe like everything else on cruise ships, its overpriced.

Would never think that this is a big money maker for Carnival but lets put this in perpective, do you really think that it takes $900. to make this total meal.Your right thou I have not experienced this to make a value opinion,,, yet, wont know until October so until then I will slightly believe like everything else on cruise ships, its overpriced.

I am not eschewing your opinion... never would... but literally everyone I've spoken to, gotten emails from, regarding the Chef's Table believes that it a tremendous value and actually underpriced...

I hope you enjoy the experience and find value in it...

Seeing as though I got flamed last night by the "we don't need/want to tip" crowd, I just had to say that I'm glad Mach made the walmart comment. He has stronger shoulders than I!

We have reservations on the freedom next month for the chefs table. I ant wait! $75 for a tasting menu is standard, even low, in my area, and it never includes wine. Besides, doing a tasting menu is about the experience, not just the actual food.

For what it's worth, all you haters out there, I plan to tip that night :)

To me, it all about the atmosphere and the Ribeye. You can't get a 16 oz. Ribeye in the MDR. And the CT doesn't even have the atmosphere. You're still sitting at a communal table just like in the MDR. I just don't get it.

Go to any "reasonable" restaurant and order

-one appietizer

-one glass of bubbly

-one salad

-one soup

-one main (even a ribeye)

-one desert

-two or three glasses of wine

$75.00 is a bargin!

Now take that and make it a real experience with the executive chef answering questions, explaining the dishes as they are served and all the attention to detail.

I have not yet experienced CCL's Chef's Table but have my reservation (thanks Mach!). To me, this Chef's Table is an experience. It is not a mathematical equation. I will pay extra for value. To tell the truth, from all I have read and seen about the Chef's Table I may feel a little guilty only paying $75!:cool:

Host Mach - Wanted to thank you for posting those blog instructions for getting reservations. I sent a request last week for our December 2010 Legend cruise and got the confirmation email today. I told my wife and she is very excited. Thanks again!!

Go to any "reasonable" restaurant and order

-one appietizer

-one glass of bubbly

-one salad

-one soup

-one main (even a ribeye)

-one desert

-two or three glasses of wine

$75.00 is a bargin!

Now take that and make it a real experience with the executive chef answering questions, explaining the dishes as they are served and all the attention to detail.

I have not yet experienced CCL's Chef's Table but have my reservation (thanks Mach!). To me, this Chef's Table is an experience. It is not a mathematical equation. I will pay extra for value. To tell the truth, from all I have read and seen about the Chef's Table I may feel a little guilty only paying $75!:cool:

You can get most of that in the steakhouse for 1/2 the price. And you can sit at a table for two, with a view of the ocean, and listen to romantic music, and dance. You can get a comparable meal with choices, not prix fixe. The only difference being a glass of champagne and interaction with the chef and walking through the kitchen, no pictures please. Like I said, it's a good option on ships that end in -tasy or -ation but on other ships, I'd rather do two nights in the steakhouse for the same price as one night at the chef's table.

Host Mach - I found this on Carnival

http://www.carnival.com/cms/Images/ccluk/Onboard_12_May_2010.html Onboard With Carnival the May 14, 2010 issue.

It says the $75 includes wine and gratuity.

This is a UK Carnival website. I thought I heard that UK prices include tips? That generally Europeans don't tip because staff is usually paid a living wage unlike the ships and waitstaff in the US?

This is a UK Carnival website. I thought I heard that UK prices include tips? That generally Europeans don't tip because staff is usually paid a living wage unlike the ships and waitstaff in the US?

So, what you're saying is, if a person from the UK eats at the chef's table, they don't have to tip, but Americans do? Is that what you're saying? Cuz that would be funny if that's what you're saying..

You can get most of that in the steakhouse for 1/2 the price. And you can sit at a table for two, with a view of the ocean, and listen to romantic music, and dance. You can get a comparable meal with choices, not prix fixe. The only difference being a glass of champagne and interaction with the chef and walking through the kitchen, no pictures please. Like I said, it's a good option on ships that end in -tasy or -ation but on other ships, I'd rather do two nights in the steakhouse for the same price as one night at the chef's table.
Let's assume that you're a couple dining at the steakhouse. You each get a cocktail from the bar to accompany your appetizer. I'm being conservative here and saying $6.50 each - DH thinks it's more along the lines of $7-8 each. Then you get a bottle of wine - probably runs you at least $30. By the time you get done, the night in the steakhouse for two really isn't that much less than the Chef's Table. But like I said in my earlier posting - to each his own. The Chef's Table is a nice add-on.

Oh, yeah - There was the "romantic music" in the supper club on Glory last year where we were serenaded by George Michael and Air Supply. Not much dancing going on there!:rolleyes: We have had better music - big band on Conquest in February and classical on Pride in July. However, unfortunately the live music and dancing in the supper club have gone the way of the dodo bird.:(

Let's assume that you're a couple dining at the steakhouse. You each get a cocktail from the bar to accompany your appetizer. I'm being conservative here and saying $6.50 each - DH thinks it's more along the lines of $7-8 each. Then you get a bottle of wine - probably runs you at least $30. By the time you get done, the night in the steakhouse for two really isn't that much less than the Chef's Table. But like I said in my earlier posting - to each his own. The Chef's Table is a nice add-on.

Oh, yeah - There was the "romantic music" in the supper club on Glory last year where we were serenaded by George Michael and Air Supply. Not much dancing going on there!:rolleyes: We have had better music - big band on Conquest in February and classical on Pride in July. However, unfortunately the live music and dancing in the supper club have gone the way of the dodo bird.:(

Let's assume, like I said on the last page, that I bring my own wine, and pay the corkage fee, I'm still paying less than 1/2, and that's before tip. Tip is included in the steakhouse. I'll give you the Air Supply thing. But I'm sitting at a table with my girl and no one else, watching the sunset. You're sitting at a table with ten 80 year old women looking at books and paying 75 bucks.

OK people ....... I am going to get blasted for this, but it sounds like this thread is going the way lots do . It's becoming an argument on who thinks the $75 pp is worth it, not information or reviews on the subject. Value is just like beauty "in the eyes of the beholder", what works for one may not work for another. Everyone is right, no losers, so move on. Anyone looking for information has to read the whole thread & it bogs down too much. Please do not let this start another argument off the subject of the Chefs Table experince, which is the title of this thread.

Let's assume, like I said on the last page, that I bring my own wine, and pay the corkage fee, I'm still paying less than 1/2, and that's before tip. Tip is included in the steakhouse. I'll give you the Air Supply thing. But I'm sitting at a table with my girl and no one else, watching the sunset. You're sitting at a table with ten 80 year old women looking at books and paying 75 bucks.

OK, so you don't want to spend the money. I invite you not to.

This thread is about the experience of the Chef's Table. It's not a debate about your perception of the value of the experience v. mine.

Please, lets stick to the topic at hand...

OK, so you don't want to spend the money. I invite you not to.

This thread is about the experience of the Chef's Table. It's not a debate about your perception of the value of the experience v. mine.

Please, lets stick to the topic at hand...

Amen! Can't wait-we have reservations for Jan. on the Miracle. It's all about the experience. thank you, Mach and John, for making it so easy to make our reservations.

Thanks Mach.

My DH and I did the Chef's Table Dinner on the Carnival Dream (8/14-8/21). It was held on Monday the 16th. We met in the Song Bar and had two glasses of champagne and I believe it was 5 mini appetisers, all yummy. The chef answered questions about the behind the scenes food operations etc. We were led to the Galley, where a table set for 12 was waiting for us. The menu follows: Norwegian Salmon Tartar (Avocado Mousse, Salmon Cavier), Fire Roasted Tomato and Poblano Chili Bisque (grilled corn, cilantro drizzle), Rock Shrimps and Apple Beignets (Tapioca Crunch on Tomato Carpaccio, garlic lemon aoli), Chopped Mediterranean Salad (shaved pumkin, feta cheese crumble), Filet of Chilean Sea Bass (wine stewed shallot and chives vinaigrette, leeks emulsion, peas risotto, Aged Filet Mignon (onion streusel, homemade three pepper mustard, chocolate melting cake, and a surprise dessert. We thoroughly enjoyed it and would book it again. Mach I booked prior to the cruise thru John Heald's website, so thanks for the link. We also were entertained by a magician, but he did his tricks at the far end of the table from us, we couldn't hear or see him very well. I didn't mind as everything else was terrific. Mary

We also were entertained by a magician, but he did his tricks at the far end of the table from us, we couldn't hear or see him very well. I didn't mind as everything else was terrific. Mary
Does anyone know whether the magician (his name badge lists him as "Table Artist") is a new addition? We had a magician at our Chef's Table on Pride as well, but he also stopped by our table in the dining room on the first elegant night and entertained our sons. If it is new, it's a nice touch.:)

Colleen & I have reservations for our October cruise.

I see you mentioned gratuitities, did you tip the wait staff after the dinner?

Charlotte

It's a new dining experience for Carnival. It's limited to twelve diners per evening over a maximum of two evenings.

Here's the menu from our experience with the Chef's Table:

ChefsTable.jpg

Everything on the menu is included along with your choice of red or white wine, as much as you care to drink.

The cost is $75/pp, gratuities not included...

The Maitre d' from one of the main dining rooms is in attendance and the Executive Chef presents each dish. At the end of the evening each diner is given a photo of the group and a copy of Carnival's Carnival Creations cookbook signed by the chef

So, how about the champagne? I LOVE bubbly...do they refill the champagne glasses like I've heard they do with the white/red wine? I could drink bubbly for the first few courses.

Also, I hate all things salmon (love fish in general, there's just something about salmon that I can't stomach). Will I still be satisfied if I pass on the first course? I assume it's a small portion so no big loss if I pass...thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

Also, I hate all things salmon (love fish in general, there's just something about salmon that I can't stomach). Will I still be satisfied if I pass on the first course? I assume it's a small portion so no big loss if I pass...thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

They are small portions. I wasn't able to finish every course, though - added up, it's a lot of food!

Colleen & I have reservations for our October cruise.

I see you mentioned gratuitities, did you tip the wait staff after the dinner?

Charlotte

Yes... the gratuity is NOT part of the $75 fee.

This email is from Sanjay Dhall who oversees the Chef's Table experience on all Carnival ships:

Hi mach,

We have never included the gratuity in the price of chefs table.

It has always been optional..

Hope this helps.

Regards

Sanjay Dhall

So, how about the champagne? I LOVE bubbly...do they refill the champagne glasses like I've heard they do with the white/red wine? I could drink bubbly for the first few courses.

Thanks everyone!

We were offered one glass of very nice champagne, wine after and it was quite good indeed.

You can feel free to pass on the salmon as it's a small appetizer and there's plenty to follow...

Hi Mach & Stitch,

We are sailing on the Splendor Sept 12 and it looks like the Chefs Table will not be on the Sept 12 cruise. Is that right? If not, do you think we have a chance of getting a reservation? We asked John Heald already but have not heard yet.

TIA

Geri & Jack

can't wait to sail with both of you gain someday-Dream cruise was a blast

Archived