questions about snorkeling at GSC

Scotoco

I will be bringing my own masks and snorkels for GSC. I heard they make everyone wear those ugly vests when snorkeling there and they cost $12 to rent it. Is this true? I do not need to use one of those vests.

it was only $5 in June. We brought our own gear and vests.... I personally think it's great that they enforce this (and I'm a lifeguard)... there are areas of very good snorkeling behind the large rocks at the end of the swim area... it gets deeper there (maybe 10-12 feet) and the current picks up. You are also out of sight of the lifeguards, even the one out on the rocky outcrop. Everyone should plan on wearing a vest to stay safe

it was only $5 in June. We brought our own gear and vests.... I personally think it's great that they enforce this (and I'm a lifeguard)... there are areas of very good snorkeling behind the large rocks at the end of the swim area... it gets deeper there (maybe 10-12 feet) and the current picks up. You are also out of sight of the lifeguards, even the one out on the rocky outcrop. Everyone should plan on wearing a vest to stay safe

I agree that some people need to use it but you should not be forced to wear it. I am a certified dive master so I am perfectly able to swim around 6 feet of water. I think it's just a way for NCL to make more money off the cruisers. You should just sign a waiver so you can go w/o a vest.

at one time they were free by themselves or included with any rental. I don't know why it changed. Its easier to make everyone wear them then to have to track and keep waivers.

as others have said you don't have to inflate them.

Does anyone know if you are required to use NCL's vests, or can you bring your own?

I've seen them priced between $20 - $40 and it might be cheaper for us to just buy them and bring them with us for each visit to GSC.

Bring your own is fine. That's what I did.

I agree that some people need to use it but you should not be forced to wear it. I am a certified dive master so I am perfectly able to swim around 6 feet of water. I think it's just a way for NCL to make more money off the cruisers. You should just sign a waiver so you can go w/o a vest.

I'm sure it's for liability reasons.

We brought our own masks and snorkels to GSC. We just went in the water and had a great time. No one said a word. They do have a sign stating you need one, but no one gave us or the others any problem about it. I do find it funny that you can swim with no vest, but not snorkel without one, in the same area. I say just go have a great time and do not worry about it. :)

We brought our own masks and snorkels to GSC. We just went in the water and had a great time. No one said a word. They do have a sign stating you need one, but no one gave us or the others any problem about it. I do find it funny that you can swim with no vest, but not snorkel without one, in the same area. I say just go have a great time and do not worry about it. :)

When did you do this cruise. I just got off the phone with customer service and she told me that they will not force you to wear it. I would rather bring my own than rent one (you never know who wore it before you).

When did you do this cruise. I just got off the phone with customer service and she told me that they will not force you to wear it. I would rather bring my own than rent one (you never know who wore it before you).

We went this June. There was a sign that said you need to wear a vest, but no one checked or said anything to us. We brought our own masks and snorkels, no vests.

there were plenty of people "snorkeling" (ie wearing a mask and snorkel) in the 3-4 feet of water where people were swimming (sandy bottom, not much to see). No one seemed to be enforcing the vest rule there, and as someone pointed out, you don't need on to swim so it really didn't make sense.

But the really decent snorkeling is out behind the larger rocks at the very end of the swimming area. As I mentioned, it is much deeper there, and the current seemed stronger. It's also out of view of the swim area/lifeguard. I don't care if you're a dive master, or olympic swimmer, it would be foolish not to wear a vest out there... this is how accidents happen.

I also agree that if it's required, it should be provided free of charge.... but this is a cruise ship, they're going to try to make $ however they can.

In my opinion though the goal shouldn't be to try to break the rule, but to realize that the rule is there to prevent injury, and figure out a way to work with it for your own safety.

Archived