why choose a connecting room if you aren't traveling with those in the room next door

we are on the allure in feb 2011 and are taking a grand suite (me, MH, and DD). we were hoping to get a connecting balcony room for my parents, but all the balconies adjacent to grand suites with connecting rooms were taken.

why? whats the appeal in choosing a room with a connecting door if you arent traveling with the people on the other side?

we are on the allure in feb 2011 and are taking a grand suite (me, MH, and DD). we were hoping to get a connecting balcony room for my parents, but all the balconies adjacent to grand suites with connecting rooms were taken.

why? whats the appeal in choosing a room with a connecting door if you arent traveling with the people on the other side?

How do you know that they are not traveling together?

Not sure about "appeal", but our last two reservations were based on location only; JS and GS and both were with adjoining rooms. No concern for us. I think it is either a door or a wall, but not a bigger room.

Just to add to the thread, we had one on a previous cruise and we liked it because the cabin had just a single chair in place of the normal love seat/couch.

This made a lot of extra room in the cabin for storing our collapsible clothes hamper. The little couch is nice if you use it, but we don't and it is just in the way.

We have always tried to avoid them but had the Ben & Jerry's "Sweet" in the Indpendence a few years ago.

LOVED the perks but it was a connecting cabin and we could hear EVERYTHING the older couple said the entire week, especially when we were getting ready for dinner. Thankfully, they seemed to go to bed early and do nothing more than sleep.;)

We spent the whole time whispering so that we couldn't be heard but maybe we shouldn't have, so that the couple next door would know how easy it was to hear them.:D

It would have to be the most amazing cabin for us to have a connecting cabin again!

Cheers,

Yes, that is the big downside of connecting cabins if you aren't traveling with the person in the connecting cabin!

OP, some people don't realize that they are booking a connecting cabin. If they are not looking at the deck plans when booking a room, or if the RCCL rep or their TA doesn't tell them when they book - they may not know they are booking one. And then there is the location - if the connecting cabin is in a good location, someone may ask for it knowing that there are strangers next door.

Sometimes they are the only cabins available in certain categories.

I assume your parents did not book at the same time you did?

We have always tried to avoid them but had the Ben & Jerry's "Sweet" in the Indpendence a few years ago.

LOVED the perks but it was a connecting cabin and we could hear EVERYTHING the older couple said the entire week, especially when we were getting ready for dinner. Thankfully, they seemed to go to bed early and do nothing more than sleep.;)

We spent the whole time whispering so that we couldn't be heard but maybe we shouldn't have, so that the couple next door would know how easy it was to hear them.:D

It would have to be the most amazing cabin for us to have a connecting cabin again!

Cheers,

The only times we've had connecting cabins we did not want them and tried to change. The first was a Cunard cruise and they assigned us a cabin, we didn't have any choice. The second time was a guarantee on NCL, again we tried to change and they wouldn't budge.

Both times the cabins were assigned well in advance and I have no idea if others wanted the connecting cabins we got.

We were in connecting cabins both times we cruised.

First time we booked a non-connecting inside, and were later upgraded by RCI to a connecting oceanview. Even though we didn't love the idea of being in a connecting room we weren't going to decline the upgrade. In the end having a connecting room was no issue at all.

On our second cruise we wanted a balcony and found the best deal to be a 2B category (Celebrity), but there weren't many rooms left at all and from the very limited options we had (most of those were connecting rooms), we liked the location of a certain cabin and went for it, despite it being a connecting room.

Back in April, we booked a November 2011 cruise on Freedom ... and were able to snag Aft facing JS 1706 ... we LOVE aft cabins and were extremely pleased that this cabin was available. It IS a connecting cabin, I believe to a D1 balcony ... it was not our intention to deprive anyone of a connecting cabin, but we really wanted this particular cabin for what will be a milestone birthday for one of our group.

Michael and Silke

I am booked in a connecting cabin in 2 weeks. I chose it because of the location, not realizing it was connecting to a suite at the time. The balcony is actually bigger than others. Now, this posting makes me nervous- is the noise really an issue? My cruise is booked solid so I can not change.

We normally book a room for location only, and don't care if it is connecting or not. Never had a problem.

However, on our last cruise, we had a GS with a connecting room. The Suite next to ours had a family with 3-4 very young, (and rowdy) kids.

When they weren't yelling and screaming, sometimes till midnight, they were always trying to open the connecting door, jiggling the door handle!

We could hear everything, the kids were bouncing off the walls till midnight, and Mother/Grandmother constantly yelling at them. One night they were actually singing, clapping hands and stomping their feet, obviously trying to tire them out for bed.

I'll never book a connecting again!

BTW, since I'm a early riser, my recourse was to watch Fox News at 5am, with the volume slightly louder than usual.:D

Archived