Looks like the weather sucks for Alaska

Fat Bottom Gurl

I've been following the weather for the Alaskan cruises and it looks like it just sucks this year. Fog, rain, showers.

I'm off on the my first cruise next week and certainly am packing for this weather. I sure hope, despite the fog, showers and rain that the coastline will still be spectacular.

Here's hoping that the weather goddess will shine a bit of sun in September.

Sorry did not realize there was already a recent weather thread.

I've been following the weather for the Alaskan cruises and it looks like it just sucks this year. Fog, rain, showers.

Not so - other than the Anchorage area we've had lots of good weather. I've spent almost 5 weeks on Alaska ships so far this season and have had only very little bad weather (I only rember 2 notable days). I'm boarding the Radiance for 14 days on September 10, though, and I'll be very surprised if the weather doesn't suck for that sailing (until we get near San Diego :) ).

I am out spraying my low cut hiking shoes with waterproofing and looking at which Gore-tex I am going to pack for the next two weeks on the Diamond. I must not forget my oilskin ball cap as well.... but I will throw in a pair of shorts for good measure.:)

Don't go into your trip with a negative attitude! The weather is what it is. That's part of the beauty of Alaska! Accept it, be prepared for it, and if the sun decides to shine even for a brief time, consider it a bonus. :cool:

I am out spraying my low cut hiking shoes with waterproofing and looking at which Gore-tex I am going to pack for the next two weeks on the Diamond. I must not forget my oilskin ball cap as well.... but I will throw in a pair of shorts for good measure.:)

Ahhh, I've got you all beat. We're not leaving til the 25th of NEXT month. I just KNOW we will have snow somewhere (after all, it is supposed to snow in the Cascades TOMORROW (it was nearly 90 here today)).

I'm off on the my first cruise next week

Next week, who knows ?

This week, high 60s minimum in Anchorage and points north, brilliant sunshine too. Rain forecast down by Seward toward week's end, just breezes for wind, couldn't ask for better:D

You can't treat Alaska as though it is a single weather district. Conditions in Fairbanks on a given day can be quite different from the weather residents of Juneau or Ketchikan are experiencing. Also the weather can vary considerably day to day week to week even in any one location. A previous poster mentioned rain almost the entire week in June that they were in Alaska, but we were in Alaska, on a different week in June and the weather was far better and was actually quite sunny and warm in Fairbanks when we were there. In Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan, it was cooler but we had little or no rain. The weather will be whatever it is when you are there. Prepare for the various contingencies and you should have a great experience, regardless.:)

It's Alaska! and the saying is- if you don't like the weather wait 15 minutes! We had typical weather-cloudy, showers, rain, then again we had sun. Plan for it all. Karon:)

Funny thats the saying here in Oregon too... I am fully expecting rain.. but I am so used to it living in the great NW that I doubt it will even phase me.

Whatever the weather is, relax and enjoy what Alaska has to offer! The forecast yesterday was for rain, but the rain only came in the evening. The rest of the day was sunny with some clouds and was in the high 60's. As a local, I don't entirely trust the forecast.

I'm off on the my first cruise next week and certainly am packing for this weather. I sure hope, despite the fog, showers and rain that the coastline will still be spectacular.

Here's hoping that the weather goddess will shine a bit of sun in September.

Sorry did not realize there was already a recent weather thread.

We're going on the 7th, when will you be going, or have you already gone?

We went in early September also and only saw the sun for 10 minutes in Ketchikan, but Alaska was beautiful none the less. Don't worry about it and you will have a marvelous cruise. Sometimes the clouds actually make beautiful scenery.

372287958_m2h9o-L.jpg

375487576_YQYZM-L.jpg

374299756_DdoMy-L.jpg

We went in early September also and only saw the sun for 10 minutes in Ketchikan, but Alaska was beautiful none the less. Don't worry about it and you will have a marvelous cruise. Sometimes the clouds actually make beautiful scenery.

372287958_m2h9o-L.jpg

375487576_YQYZM-L.jpg

374299756_DdoMy-L.jpg

those are some gorgeous pictures! We leave Saturday for Seattle, embark on Sunday.... here's hoping for some decent weather, but I'll enjoy either way... thanks for reminding me of that!

I love the photos! Thank you so much for sharing. That gets me really excited for our first Alaska cruise in two weeks!!

We have the "wait 15 minutes" weather rule in Denver too, it can be 75 degrees and sunny in the morning and snowing in the evening, or vice versa - or substitute rain, hail, sleet, fog, etc. :)

Knowing that it's an end-of-season cruise, I'm pretty much counting on cool and overcast, if not rainy, weather...and I know that regardless of what it ends up being, Alaska will be beautiful!!

I've been watching the forecast for a couple weeks and felt a bit whiny. Finally decided a few days ago, that even if it rains every minute of our cruise (leaving Sunday), it will STILL be a wonderful experience. Worst day cruising beats the best day at work ANY time!!

It's all in the attitude, right? :)

it's supposed to be raining today in the 'burg. but i was told that you have to have clouds for rain................

http://kfsk.org/modules/webcam/

not too exciting a view after sundown

oh, and the boat at 5:45 from center is sitting on the bottom. the 61 foot emily jane hit an iceberg 3am friday. only the rigging shows at high tide.

Just got of the Royal Prinecss today and we had fantastic weather for most of out trip.

Seattle sailaway 8/16 sunny blue skies temps in the 90's

ketchican 8/18 clear skies in morning, slight showers afternoon

Juneau 8/19 Slight showers early morning, decent most of the day, showers after 6pm

Icy Strait 8/20 some clouds most of day, no rain temps about 60

Glacier Bay 8/21 clear blue skies, temps probably mid 60's

Seward 8/23 Blue skies, temps mid 70's

Kodiak 8/24 Blue skies , temps mid 70's

Skagway 8/26 slight clouds morning, blue skies Yukon and afternoon in town temps low 60's

Tracy Arm 8/27 clouds temps mid 50's

Victoria 8/29 Blue skies temps low 60's

Seattle 8/30 Blue skies

The stretch from Glacier Bay thru Kodiak everywhere said it was the nicest day of the year.

My previous worst weather had been an August trip this same time frame, this was one of my best.

Our first cruise to Alaska was September 2007, rain, fog and very cold 80% of the cruise. We loved it so muchm we sailed again this July. We had perfect weather this time in July but to be honest I loved both trips regardless of the weather. Just be prepared with your waterproof gear, gloves, hat & a positive attitude and your cruise will be perfect. I consider any day on a Alaska Cruise, a Perfect Day. I just can't wait to return and think I'll try May next time.

We're going on our first Alaska cruise on Sept 8th..... in fact it's our first cruise anywhere!

Can't wait, it's getting close now....

Anyone else on the Volendam Sept 8?

Archived