Early Saver Change

tracier66

My dd and I are scheduled to take a cruise in April of next year. She has now decided to go back to school to get a 2nd degree and will need to change our cruise date to their spring break.

I know that there will be a $50 pp fee for the change. My question is do I need to pay that when I call to reschedule or is that added to my balance still owed?

Thanks for the help!

Traci

If you are lucky, you can find someone who will apply the rest of the deposit (minus the $50 of course) to your new deposit. If you cancel and rebook at the same time, they have normally been doing this...and you would just pay the extra of the deposit owed after the $50 pp fee). $100 is all you would owe, if its just the two of you (assuming you are booking the same length cruise and the deposits are the same).

If you cancel now ... and then rebook later, you will have to put up a whole new deposit, and the rest will go toward your balance. So, you do want to cancel and rebook at the same time.

The ES rules require you to repay the entire deposit and the $200 pp is given to you as an OBC once you get on the actual crusie. Whether or not that is being enforeced is a big who knows. Circumstances like this and the fact that prices drops are not that common are why ES is not that good of a deal.

The ES rules require you to repay the entire deposit and the $200 pp is given to you as an OBC once you get on the actual crusie. Whether or not that is being enforeced is a big who knows. Circumstances like this and the fact that prices drops are not that common are why ES is not that good of a deal.

Whether or not it's a good deal really depends on the situation. We booked ES for our upcoming Splendor trip - in a 9C wrap. We're not expecting any price drops (because not only does a wrap have to open up, but it has to be the one other wrap that will hold 3 people like us!), but it did save us almost $200 vs. booking at the regular rate. If you're confident in your date, ES can save you a lot of money. If you need flexibility, ES is absolutely not the way to go - and we didn't do it for our Magic cruise next year because we can't be 100% sure on that one.

Thats why you need to call and have them cancel and book the new cruise in one sitting ... so they can apply it to the cruise.

Thanks for your answers. I may wait a couple of weeks to make sure she does not change her mind. My daughter is 23 and has graduated from CofC with a degree in English and has discovered that she really does not know what she wants to do with her life.

Last year, I had to change sailing dates to cruise with friends (same ship, cabin cat., etc,) so I called. Had to paid the p/p change fee up front ($50 x2) and they tranfered the whole deposit to the new sailing date, which was approx. $40 cheaper, so it was all good:cool:.

Just my experience.

So call if you need to;)

I had to change dates just last week, and I didn't have to give them any extra money, although we had put down a bit more than the basic deposit already.

We had been booked for a date in July in an aft wrap and aft extended. For personal scheduling reasons we ended up switching to late August, and the fares were $200 pp less on the new sailing.

I had already put down the regular $250pp deposit on both rooms, plus used two Future Cruise Certificates for $100 each.

When we made the change, they just transferred the deposits and FCCs over to the new sailing and charged $50pp administrative fee. Because there was already $350 credit on each room, there was no additional money due at this time. And since the price of the new date was less, my balance dropped as well.

BTW, if anyone cares, I was told that I could not downgrade my rooms when transferring bookings under ES rules. I was considering trading the aft extended balcony (an 8M) for the L-shaped balcony (an 8B) on the other side of the wrap, but was not allowed to do it. I think the PVP might have been wrong on this, but it wasn't that important to me to argue with him.

My understanding was that if you canceled a booking you were free to re-book anytime, any class (minus the $50 fee).

Our PVP told us just a few weeks ago that if we need to cancel one of our Early Saver bookings that we would only lose $50 per person but could use the remainder on a booking made in the next year. He said that wasn't an issue for people like us who cruise Carnival a few times per year. He said ES is a bigger gamble for those who do not cruise (or cruise CCL) very often.

Our PVP told us just a few weeks ago that if we need to cancel one of our Early Saver bookings that we would only lose $50 per person but could use the remainder on a booking made in the next year. He said that wasn't an issue for people like us who cruise Carnival a few times per year. He said ES is a bigger gamble for those who do not cruise (or cruise CCL) very often.

Either you got bad info or misunderstood. You actually have 2 years from the date of cancellation to use the credit. Some people have delayed cancelling, so the 2 years starts later. ... it is certainly a consideration of when to cancel if people need the time to rebook.

• 2 weeks later...
I had to change dates just last week, and I didn't have to give them any extra money, although we had put down a bit more than the basic deposit already.

We had been booked for a date in July in an aft wrap and aft extended. For personal scheduling reasons we ended up switching to late August, and the fares were $200 pp less on the new sailing.

I had already put down the regular $250pp deposit on both rooms, plus used two Future Cruise Certificates for $100 each.

When we made the change, they just transferred the deposits and FCCs over to the new sailing and charged $50pp administrative fee. Because there was already $350 credit on each room, there was no additional money due at this time. And since the price of the new date was less, my balance dropped as well.

BTW, if anyone cares, I was told that I could not downgrade my rooms when transferring bookings under ES rules. I was considering trading the aft extended balcony (an 8M) for the L-shaped balcony (an 8B) on the other side of the wrap, but was not allowed to do it. I think the PVP might have been wrong on this, but it wasn't that important to me to argue with him.

My understanding was that if you canceled a booking you were free to re-book anytime, any class (minus the $50 fee).

I have the same question - If you rebook, can't you rebook to any cabin class since you have paid the $50 rebooking/cancellation fee?

thanks.

I have the same question - If you rebook, can't you rebook to any cabin class since you have paid the $50 rebooking/cancellation fee?

thanks.

If you cancel ES booking and re-book another cruise, you can book any Category and in fact you don't even have to re-book Early Saver (it may not even be available for the cruise you're booking), but you can never get the remainder of that deposit back. ken

My dd and I are scheduled to take a cruise in April of next year. She has now decided to go back to school to get a 2nd degree and will need to change our cruise date to their spring break.

I know that there will be a $50 pp fee for the change. My question is do I need to pay that when I call to reschedule or is that added to my balance still owed?

Thanks for the help!

Traci

I was in the same boat and when I called to switch they charged me the $100 while on the phone.

If you switch while on the phone cancelling they just shift the remaining balance of your deposit over.

At least that is what they did with me.

Bill

I was in the same boat and when I called to switch they charged me the $100 while on the phone.

If you switch while on the phone cancelling they just shift the remaining balance of your deposit over.

At least that is what they did with me.

Bill

As Bill sez, they take the $50pp penalty out of your initial deposit and then transfer the balance to your next cruise if you cancel & re-book at same time, or they issue you a FCC for the balance if you don't re-book when cancelling. In that sense, you don't get "charged" $50pp when you cancel, it's just deducted from your deposit. ken

Archived