Luggage what type & how many pieces

Clamqueen

How are you getting to the port? If you are flying, check with your airline to find out how many bags are free (If any) and what is the charge for extra bags.

If you are driving, there is no limit, but remember the bags will be in your cabin for the cruise.

These days all luggage issues come right down to weight. With the airlines charging big fees for every bag (Southwest and JetBlue are exceptions) it makes sense to find the lightest weight luggage that can comfortably hold 50 pounds (the normal weight limit). Although we all love rolling luggage, nothing is going to be as light as basic soft bags with no wheels and limited hardware.....the old basic duffle-type bag. Of course there are other solutions. For us, whenever we are cruising out of Florida we prefer to fly Southwest since they still allow 2 bags each for no charge.

Hank

We try to put the formal wear in one garment bag and then we have used rolling duffle bags. The duffle bags hold alot and once emptied are much more compact. If you take multiple hard sided luggage along, it can be more difficult to store.

I would opt for a light but durable rolling garment for your formal clothing (for both of you). Then each of you could use a large case each for most of your other clothing and things. As another post mentioned, check with your airline on charges for over-sized bags and decide what you personally are willing to pay for. IMO, it's easier to keep up with one large one instead of 2 medium ones. Then you each can have a carry-on. You didn't ask about this, but if I were you, I would cross-pack your checked luggage, and be sure to pack entire outfits complete with underclothing together in case part of your luggage was either delayed or lost. That way one person isn't completely without except for their carry-on. We used to do this only when we fly to a port, but since reading a few posts about luggage either being left at the pier or dropped in the water while loading the ship, I now do this anyway.

I sell luggage part time and would want more information from you before making a recommendation.

First off, how often do you travel? How do you like to pack...everything but the kitchen sink or conservatively and use the laundry service? Are you able to physically manage luggage on your own?

Lightweight luggage is great, but not all brands are really that durable. The construction of the sides and top of the case can be flimsy, leaving your contents at risk if there is really rough handling or stacking of luggage. Fabrics that are not strong (but lightweight) will easily tear. Cheap wheels will break off, cheap zippers will easily burst.

So, my suggestion is to go in person to a luggage store if you have one close by. Not a luggage department in a large store, the clerks know nothing except how to ring up the ticket. Everyone has slightly different needs and budgets. I know our store carries something for everyone and our staff is trained to educate the shopper.

Since you also asked about packing, I though my answer post would be too long in one post.

If I were going on your trip, I would pack for only one week, day wear. Formal nights, two formal dresses and wear the first one twice. Other nights, mix and match pants and tops, throw in a couple jersey knit dresses that never wrinkle and you're good to go.

My husband packs likewise, with different ties for formal nights, he only takes one formal shirt and has it laundered in between wearings.

We send things out for laundry and I do my unmentionables in the sink. It runs between $25-30 for the week. Pricey for laundry, but it's a vacation and we don't want to use our time for chores. Far less expensive than buying more clothes to take on vacation as well.

Shoes, no more than 5 pair. Formal night, casual night, walking shoes, comfortable walking sandals and flip flops for the pool. Wear one pair while boarding, so you only pack 4 pair.

Toiletries, pack your 3-1-1 bag with as much as you can, pack the rest into your checked bag. Some people buy when they arrive in the departure port town, but I am particular about what I use on my skin and would worry I'd not be able to easily find it. If you run out you can always buy stuff in port towns, we got some toothpaste in Venice, Italy and shampoo in Croatia when there.

We go with a (1) a rolling garment bag for formal wear, tuxedo and 2 dresses. In addition it will hold 4 everyday shirts, extra trousers, 2 pairs of shoes and underwear. It was my workhorse for weeklong business meetings before I retired. (Mine is a Travelpro Flightpro, no longer made). (2) 27 inch pullman for everything else. Overnight wear, and any overflow from (1) and (2), medications, spare eyeglasses, cruise paperwork, cash, cameras, etc. are divided between our carry-ons. (Red Oxx Air Boss for me and Tom Bihn Tri-star for my wife. Both fold down and are put in the pullman for storage in the cabin.

We take one large suitcase,, and one garment bag for hubbys suit and my formal. I can usually pack on formal in suitcase( many dresses don't wrinkle and scrunch up small) with hubbys suit and shirt. Hubby then just brings 2-3 ties .

I like to pack light,, hubby can do most of lugging around that way,, LOL

Buy quality

A 22" 4 wheel soft side for each of you to carry on and one 26" 4 wheel soft side to share and check for your flights.

These will fit your cabin comfortably

You will also carry on your personal items in a small handbag/ briefcase or backpack for each of you.

That should be enough:)

Thank you all for your quick replies. We will be traveling on Southwest so no need to pay for our bags (luv them). I think we'll definitely cross pack and do a garment bag and one or 2 others. Don't mind spending for laundry. The less I have to deal with the better!

Lucky you flying on SW, most all others charge fo 1st and 2nd bag checked, have specific size and weight requirements for checked and carry on. I believe even SW has a weight & size limit. I would always check to be sure.

Archived