Oooooohhh the horror

Few months ago had a major sort out of our wardrobes, all my previous cruise wear was wrapped and bagged and I asked hubby to put them into the loft for storage. This weekend, with our cruise coming up, I asked him to get them down for me to try and decide what I was taking.

Ten minutes later he appeared, very red faced and flustered, saying he couldn't find them anywhere - turns out he's taken them to the tip by mistake - imagine the language!! 3 full length evening gowns, 2 cocktail dresses and matching jackets, one casual cocktail dress, one all in one skort suit with jacket. I was not a very happy bunny:eek:

There's one heck of a lucky lady somewhere strutting about in all my finery that her hubby's found on the tip for her!

If you don't mind me asking, what are you calling a tip? Like a consignment store or something like that?

If so, OMG!!! That is horrible news. I would be yelling and being just like you are if something like that happen to my stuff too. I couldn't imagine. If you need to borrow anything, just let me know hun! I will share with ya! :)

My DH did this with 10 pair of great fitting jeans in July. Some of my FB friends thought he should be offed for that since great fitting jeans are harder to find than a good man most of the time.

So, I feel your pain! DH has so far replaced 4 pair of jeans. They don't make my old favorites anymore (of course they don't) so I pick them up as I find them...

My husband has never gotten out of the dog house for throwing our sons' baby book away. It was all filled in with photos, first hair clipping, sonogram pics etc... during his first year of life (he's now 21). Not the same category, I know, but I feel your pain :mad:

I also don't know what a loft is but if it is anything like an attic or rafters, chances are your stuff may not have been much good anyway. Unless fabrics are stored with no temperature changes or major humidity changes, the fabric just sort of disintegrates after a year or so, especially anything with elastic or spandex.

Anyway, have fun shopping :)

My DH did this with 10 pair of great fitting jeans in July. Some of my FB friends thought he should be offed for that since great fitting jeans are harder to find than a good man most of the time.

So, I feel your pain! DH has so far replaced 4 pair of jeans. They don't make my old favorites anymore (of course they don't) so I pick them up as I find them...

Speaking of pain....:D

I don't wear jeans in Florida very often...too hot...But I have a couple of pairs that I love....! Four years ago during a visit home at Christmas, I fell and broke my knee....the real pain came when they slit the leg of my jeans all the way up to cut them off!:eek::rolleyes: Of course I can't find the same jeans anymore.:rolleyes:

I feel so bad for both of you ladies, and hope that all of your things can be replaced.:)

My husband has never gotten out of the dog house for throwing our sons' baby book away. It was all filled in with photos, first hair clipping, sonogram pics etc... during his first year of life (he's now 21). Not the same category, I know, but I feel your pain :mad:

I also don't know what a loft is but if it is anything like an attic or rafters, chances are your stuff may not have been much good anyway. Unless fabrics are stored with no temperature changes or major humidity changes, the fabric just sort of disintegrates after a year or so, especially anything with elastic or spandex.

Anyway, have fun shopping :)

I have never been forgiven for throwing away my youngest son's HUGE Lego collection. He still reminds me, and he's 28 years old!

All I could think when I read the first post was what a great opportunity to go shopping!!!

However, I would be horrified, too.

OMG HOW AWFUL:(:eek:...i would be going CRAZY and cant type the words here that i would be using at hubby:mad:

but i guess i would calm down after awhile and say well hand me the CC cos i have to go shopping...least you still have a little time to find some things...SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS-i bet you will find even BETTER clothes this time!!

i too lost a favorite pair of jeans after an ATV accident...shirt too cos they didnt want to move me-so they cut them off...so i kinda feel that pain;)

Thanks for all your commiserations ladies - I sure needed someone to sound off at. Now I've come back down to earth again I'm deciding what needs to be replaced and a little shopping trip is imminent, in all honesty, there was just one dress I'm desperate about losing, a fabulous shell pink long column dress with an off centre split in the back to mid thigh - so sexy. But hey, worse things happen at sea, but I hope on none of your cruises!!

And to explain - tip is what I think would be a garbage dump.

So glad I've come across this site, I think it is wonderful, and I'm very impressed with the folk and their welcome.

Thanks for all your commiserations ladies - I sure needed someone to sound off at. Now I've come back down to earth again I'm deciding what needs to be replaced and a little shopping trip is imminent, in all honesty, there was just one dress I'm desperate about losing, a fabulous shell pink long column dress with an off centre split in the back to mid thigh - so sexy. But hey, worse things happen at sea, but I hope on none of your cruises!!

So glad I've come across this site, I think it is wonderful, and I'm very impressed with the folk and their welcome.

What a shame that when these guys of ours do this, they pick something we really love! Enjoy your shopping and have a great cruise!

• 2 months later...

When I first read your post, I thought it meant consignment shop or church thrift shop - that would have made sense of someone else getting your things.

But if a tip is a garbage dump, then why would some other woman be walking around wearing your clothes? Do people look for clothes in garbage dumps?

But if a tip is a garbage dump, then why would some other woman be walking around wearing your clothes? Do people look for clothes in garbage dumps?

Read "dumpster" or garbage bin. (We have neighbours who are British, we've learned to translate :) ) And yes, around here, recycling at the bin and re-using is a regular pastime.

At a recent dance competition one of the husbands left the suitcase at home with all of his wifes dance shoes. Needless to say she got all new shoes that weekend. Bet he'll never make that mistake again. S

We were staying in an old hotel in Italy, where the room had several closets. I asked DH to make sure all the shoes were packed, as we were leaving that morning. We weren't in a rush and probably waited 15 min for others to get on the bus.

When we got to Milan, I couldn't find several pair of shoes. It NEVER occured to me that he didn't do what I asked him---checking for shoes under the beds etc. The tour director called the hotel and sure enough, there were there. I could have had them sent, but it would have been expensive--more than the shoes were worth.

That's OK---for the rest of my life, he will pay for this, in NEW SHOES!!

My husband is famous for throwing things out, but he does it on purpose!

He's thrown out my hot hand wax thingy because I "never" used it. Truth is that I didn't use it in the summer but because I work outdoors I used it all the time in the winter.

The worst is he threw out my favorite cookbook because the cover was ripped off. Well duh, doesn't that tell you that I used it all the time?

I tease him all the time because he does it to himself too. I say he's X happy. He can't stand having too many windows open on his computer so he starts clicking the X's then gets mad because he closed something he shouldn't have. Serves him right, lol.

• 2 weeks later...
When I first read your post, I thought it meant consignment shop or church thrift shop - that would have made sense of someone else getting your things.

Jane, most of us posting here would never do that- but there are people who "dumpster dive." I don't mind wearing something "gently used". In fact, a gal pal just gave me a great dress for my next cruise, formal night, she wore it to her nephew's wedding and says she would probably never wear it again, so I could have it, as we cruise fairly often and so I would have a chance to wear it, but dumpster dive-no way-I would be afraid of disease.

Jane, most of us posting here would never do that- but there are people who "dumpster dive." I don't mind wearing something "gently used". In fact, a gal pal just gave me a great dress for my next cruise, formal night, she wore it to her nephew's wedding and says she would probably never wear it again, so I could have it, as we cruise fairly often and so I would have a chance to wear it, but dumpster dive-no way-I would be afraid of disease.

everyone would be afraid of disease for sure.

everyone would be afraid of disease for sure.

Apparently not everyone or we would not hear the term "dumpster dive." I still find that gross though. Many years ago I saw a homeless guy in downtown Atlanta going through a garbage container for food. It made me feel sick to see that. We were going to a play at the Fox theater and we saw him near the parking lot. I wanted to give the poor guy a few bucks but my hubby was convinced he was a wino, and would not agree to do that. He said the guy would buy alcohol and not food

Apparently not everyone or we would not hear the term "dumpster dive." I still find that gross though. Many years ago I saw a homeless guy in downtown Atlanta going through a garbage container for food. It made me feel sick to see that. We were going to a play at the Fox theater and we saw him near the parking lot. I wanted to give the poor guy a few bucks but my hubby was convinced he was a wino, and would not agree to do that. He said the guy would buy alcohol and not food

There were some college students that decided to do a "study" on the homeless guys near olympic park in Atlanta to see how much they would earn. Between the "panhandling" and the government entitlements, they earned what was the equivalent of $70K a year! :eek: That was the year my son was in grad school at Ga Tech, so around 2004-5. I feel sorry for the children who are put in this situation, but not the adults. Most of them are addicts or mentally ill. Except for those few who beg and make good money.

Oops, sorry... off topic, but the dumpster dive conversation got me going!:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Dumpster Dive for clothes to wear? Eeeewwwww!!!!! :eek:

Archived