Tell me about the upsell on the steaks in the main dining room

We haven't cruised since 2008. At that time, I do not recall anything in the menus about upselling steaks. I'm assuming there's a nominal fee and they serve you something comparable to a filet in Chops or Portafino, except it's in the main dining room. Is that right? Are they still doing this?

Is it worth it? Is it listed in the menu, or do you just ask your server?

Is it all ships? We'll be on Radiance.

Thanks for the info.

Cheryl

It is exactly as you put it, a Chops Fillet Mignon served in the MDR at a $14.95 charge, it is listed on the menu. I believe it is on all ships. Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you!! I might try that if there's a night that nothing sounds good. Thanks!

It is the Complete Chops main course. Fillet with choice of potato and vegetable. You can ask for and get Bearnaise Sauce or Horseradish Sauce.

It costs $15

I always ordered it once on a 7 night cruise. There was usually a night with nothing on the menu that really excited me.

Perhaps it was a rumor?

It is not a rumor. There is a steak each night that is available at no extra charge; this is one of the standing favorites, like Caesar salad (something tha is available every night). Then there is the steak which costs an extra $14.95, as already mentioned. It is clearly marked on the menu, you'll see it.

We have ordered the regular steak upon occasion and have been satisfied with it. My DS ordered one every night of our cruise in addition to the entrée he selected (he ordered a "naked" steak, which means they just bring the meat and no extra side dishes). They are happy to accomodate you.

Have a great cruise.

I've never heard of buying a steak in the main dining room. There is (normally) steak on the menu each night.

Libertylover:

That's what I thought too, but I've read where some ships were offering a steak upgrade in the main dining room.

Perhaps it was a rumor?

It's not a rumor and has been offered for some time now. Initially I believe it was on select sailings test marketing the idea. I believe it has been rolled out fleetwide now. Essentially, it's the full Chops filet dinner, just served in the dining room instead of going to Chops. If all you want is the meal but not the extra attentive service and ambiance it's an decent alternative.

Most feel it's stupid to pay for a steak when there's one offered for no additional charge on the menu. Those people haven't seen the difference in quality of the included steak vs the Chops filet. If you're a steak lover, it's worth the extra $15.

In my opinion - if you want a chops grille seak just go there and get the whole meal - I don't like steak that well to pay an extra 14.95 for one - Maybe one night I will order a steak - medium and it suits me just fine - Our cruising experiences don't center around food - we just love the dining room and our table mates whomever they may be - like I said, its just my opinion - thanks:):)

In my opinion - if you want a chops grille seak just go there and get the whole meal - I don't like steak that well to pay an extra 14.95 for one - Maybe one night I will order a steak - medium and it suits me just fine - Our cruising experiences don't center around food - we just love the dining room and our table mates whomever they may be - like I said, its just my opinion - thanks:):)

My husband will probably object to going....being that then we would both be charged...but he won't mind if I order it. Plus we have a 6 year old along...so the main dining room is better for us.

I guess maybe my cruise experience is about food. Ha!

My husband will probably object to going....being that then we would both be charged...

That was my thought, too. If you just want the steak, order it and pay for it without having to pay the service charge for Chops, which is $25. per person. If you took your 6 year old to Chops, then all three of you would be charged the service charge. Ooof! :p

Yes the whole idea is to give Dad and Mom the chance to get the "nice" steak while still eating with the kiddos' as Chops is "adult" only.

Or as someone else already said Mom or Dad can get the nice steak and the other half gets normal MDR meal so you only pay the upcharge on the one person.

What cut of beef is the regular MDR steak? How would you rate it on a scale of 1-5, w/5 being excellent? (and I know that the rating will be subjective, just looking for some opinions here).

The MDR steak= thin, tough, low grade of beef = 0

What cut of beef is the regular MDR steak? How would you rate it on a scale of 1-5, w/5 being excellent? (and I know that the rating will be subjective, just looking for some opinions here).

Some people say tougher than shoe leather but I had the strip one night that was available and the sirloin the next.......both were cooked to order and tender and tasty.......Its not a top grade quality cut but certainly edible. I give it a 2 - 3

I had half of my moms upcharge Chops filet the first night and it was DELICIOUS! well worth the 14.95.

I was a steak eating fool on my last cruise LOL!

Yes the whole idea is to give Dad and Mom the chance to get the "nice" steak while still eating with the kiddos' as Chops is "adult" only.

Or as someone else already said Mom or Dad can get the nice steak and the other half gets normal MDR meal so you only pay the upcharge on the one person.

I thought kids were allowed as long as it is before 7:00pm. However, we aren't going.

I'd give the regular steak option available in the MDR a solid 2.5-3 out of five. It isn't the best cut of meat but it has been cooked to my desired taste and I have enjoyed it every time I've had it.

I wouldn't necessarily call the "Chops" steak a 5 though. I think it would rate maybe about a 4 if you were to compare it (the meat only) to what you'd expect to find in a top-notch steakhouse on land.

I love that the option is available in the MDR and that it allows people who want a better steak to be able to get one without having to pay the surcharge to Chops, assuming there is even one on board.

Of course, this is my opinion and I'm sure others may disagree but I'm perfectly comfortable with that. :)

Archived