Select Dining increases travel insurance??

algorithmannie

I just called my TA to request a switch from early seating dinner to select dining. The TA reminded me that gratuities must be pre-paid for select dining - no problem. However, because the gratuities are pre-paid, it increases the cost of travel insurance by $20 per person.

$20 isn't a huge deal, and I can understand why an additional up-front payment increases the insurance cost, but this still just seems silly. I decided to stick with early seating to save the $20.

Has anyone else come across this???

I just called my TA to request a switch from early seating dinner to select dining. The TA reminded me that gratuities must be pre-paid for select dining - no problem. However, because the gratuities are pre-paid, it increases the cost of travel insurance by $20 per person.

$20 isn't a huge deal, and I can understand why an additional up-front payment increases the insurance cost, but this still just seems silly. I decided to stick with early seating to save the $20.

Has anyone else come across this???

Isn't travel insurance based on the number of DAYS, not on the cost of the trip?

Travel insurance is based on the age of the person(s) travelling and the cost of the trip. That's normal, commercial, go out and buy it on your own travel insurance -- like you would be quoted and but through insuremytrip.com. Cruise line travel insurance is typically a flat amount based on the trip and typically varies with trip length. As one gets older, sometimes you'll save money with the cruise line's insurance because the rate is age independent.

Typically commercial insurance has price points and bands -- so much for $1000 - $1500, so much for $1501- $2000, etc., ... The addition of prepaid tips may increase your cost into the next price band.

Travel insurance is based on the age of the person(s) travelling and the cost of the trip. That's normal, commercial, go out and buy it on your own travel insurance -- like you would be quoted and but through insuremytrip.com. Cruise line travel insurance is typically a flat amount based on the trip and typically varies with trip length. As one gets older, sometimes you'll save money with the cruise line's insurance because the rate is age independent.

Typically commercial insurance has price points and bands -- so much for $1000 - $1500, so much for $1501- $2000, etc., ... The addition of prepaid tips may increase your cost into the next price band.

But you don't have to fully insure. You can stay in the band you're in if you wish. Your TA should know that, but the commission on the insurance will be more if you purchase more. YOU are in charge and decide how much insurance to purchase.

I assume you are buying insurance other than through Celebrity. Check something out with Celebrity.

I was told that certain items pre-charged by the cruise line were not lost if you cancel at the last minute. One is pre-paid tips and one is pre-paid shore excursions. Ask them before you pay more for the insurance.

I believe that I read somewhere that you must fully insure in order to have pre-existing conditions covered. You might want to check on this.

I don't worry about pre-existing conditions. I only purchase insurance at the time of final payment which is too late to cover pre-existing conditions. It happens I don't have any. I only purchase insurance for the medical and med-evac benefits. When I was fully covered by medical insurance and med-evac insurance through work, I never purchased cruise insurance.

That has been my travel insurance purchase experience as well. We do buy right away (within 14 days of cruise deposit) to cover pre-existing conditions and estimate of air included and other non-cancelable expenses. I make sure I am 100% covered at the time of final pymt. Sometimes cruise prices drop from what you originally booked, so MAY end up not having to pay that next tier rate.

It seems that if you cancelled (after final pymt for a reason covered by your insurance), you would still get the $$ back for pre-paid gratuities as well as port charges and taxes....but I could be wrong.:rolleyes:

I am interested to know how this turns out.

I do not think you are required to insure your full value of your trip. It is up to you what amount you cover. I use Travelex and I'm pretty certain I can revise the policy limits, up or down, after the fact if I want. As for "pre-existing" waivers........they require you to purchase your insurance within a certain time frame (14-21 days) after making your initial trip deposit.

One thing travelers often forget is that your trip interruption/cancellation can

often be determined by a non traveling family member and the "pre-existing" waiver applies to them as well.

As for the initial question about cost.....Travelex premiums are based on a range $1000-2000; $2000-3000, etc. and it would be rare that $20 would move you into another level.

Marty

Gratuities, even pre-paid are not a part of the cost of a trip for insurance purposes. Those people who do not prepay are just like those who prepay for insurance estimates. If you fail to make the trip, gratuities would not be paid, and an insurance company would not cover them. Someone adding gratuities that are optional would also want to add shore excursions that are pre-paid and and could be canceled, to the cost. Insurance company would say that you could have mitigated your costs and we will not reimburse you for your loss. Drink plans in the same area, not something hat you can insure as a cost, but could prepay.

Would not the gratuities be returned by the cruise line if the trip is canceled.I understand that taxes are returned therefore I did not put that amount in my total for the cost of the trip. At least that is what my TA agent told me.

I did not think the ins from Celebrity included a charge for insuring things like pre-paid gratuiies or pre-paid excursions----have to look into that further--

tips would not be paid if the trip is cancelled & someone takes your seat at the table..

when we had to cancel a Royal cruise 3 days before it sailed, for med reasons--they refunded our pre-pd excursions & Royal's ins covered everything but the cost of ins---- can't recall if we had to absorb a small penalty-- it was worth getting it for sure!

Insurance from the cruiseline is based on cost, not age. They should not include the cost of gratuities. If the insurance is from and outside source, say Access America, it is also based on cost. You insure the amount you want to cover, and it should not include gratuities. You will get that refunded if you cancel. Your TA should check into that.

In order to get certain benefits like the pre-existing condition waiver or if you have a cancel for any reason policy, insurance companies typically require you to cover all non-refundable expenses. So you can't just choose how much to insure. However the key here is "non-refundable expenses". Things like pre-paid gratuities and even taxes are fully refundable in case a trip is cancelled and for insurance purposes the value should not be considered when pricing a policy.

The key thing to find out is this: Are pre-paid gratuities a NON-REFUNDABLE expense if you have to cancel your cruise.

A friend of mine recently cancelled a May cruise - she had the insurance that is provided via Celebrity CruiseCare. We were shocked to see that on the day that she cancelled the cruise, she received a credit on her credit card for the tax amount - Celebrity rep told her that once someone cancels Celebrity immediately refunds the tax amount -- so the total price she originally paid for her cruise was $1200 - she received a $119 refund from Celebrity and she received $1081 refund from the insurance company (note: these are not the exact figures as I don't honestly remember exactly how much her cruise cost -- but these figures were used to give an easy to understand example).

In her case, whether she took out insurance to cover $1081 or $1200 - the price of the insurance was still the same. However, since your insurance increases when you add in the pre-paid gratuities, I think you need to ask Celebrity if the pre-paid gratuities will be refunded directly by Celebrity if you cancel your cruise. If so, just insure your trip for the oirignal amount!

Oh....sorry I see that I'm just repeating what Richiebaseball said :)

My wife fell on the first day of a cruise in January 2010, we had prepaid the gratuities. I inquired at customer service about a refund of the gratuities as we would be leaving the ship at the first port and was told I would have to take that up with Miami. Celebrity's cruise care insurance took the total cruise cost less insurance cost and gratuities and prorated it on a daily basis. They then paid my wife for 11 days and myself for 8 days of the cruise cost:)

I never did push it with Miami as I didn't think it was fair to deprive the staff of money they had already been paid:(

Hi,

Prepaid tips are fully refundable if you cancel the cruise, or == X == does.

Therefore, their value have nothing to do with the ''prior to departure'' value you want to insure, which is basically the non-refundable components of your investment in your cruise, should the worst case scenario hit you.

Of note....the larger the ''prior to departure'' amount, the higher the policy, thus the higher the commission ....some TAs will try it....:rolleyes:

The ''excess medical'' components of your travel insurance is strictly based on ## of days, your age and , if applicable ,medical questionnaire and your desire to have pre-existing conditions covered. Again, prepaid tips have no bearing on that whatsoever.

Cheers

;)

Archived