LIVE from the FREEDOM of the SEAS, Sailing 5 Sep 2010

Trainman-2

Jim, I just made it to the point where you scattered Carol's ashes. I have to stop there for a bit. As a minister, one of the most bittersweet things I face is when we say goodbye to loved ones (although I prefer to think of it as a "see you later.")

We completely missed the meet & mingle ... I had the wrong time in my head the whole day. Some other time, perhaps, OK?

Godspeed, Carol.

Eternal Father, strong to save,

Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,

Who biddest the mighty ocean deep

Its own appointed limits keep;

Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,

For those in peril on the sea!

I'll go back and finish reading this thread, but I need to take a moment.

Edited by Tony1865

Trainman - someone sent me the link to your post - I have read it all and want to say thank you for sharing your story with us. I feel enlightened.

I cruise with my mom and we would love to meet you on a future cruise (we are smokers too). You have the best attitude and character.. and I would be honored to be seated with you in the MDR.

Best wishes for happy cruising - hope to meet you one day. Thank you again for touching my heart.

ps. i also love english muffins with cr cheese, jelly and sausage - thought I was the only one :D

((((hugs)))))))

Jim, I just made it to the point where you scattered Carol's ashes. I have to stop there for a bit. As a minister, one of the most bittersweet things I face is when we say goodbye to loved ones (although I prefer to think of it as a "see you later.")

We completely missed the meet & mingle ... I had the wrong time in my head the whole day. Some other time, perhaps, OK?

Godspeed, Carol.

Eternal Father, strong to save,

Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,

Who biddest the mighty ocean deep

Its own appointed limits keep;

Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,

For those in peril on the sea!

I'll go back and finish reading this thread, but I need to take a moment.

Thank you for taking the time to post these beautiful words. 2 years ago I held my sister as she left us.... those words.... see you later.... are what I whispered to her... the very last words I ever said to her... I had no idea....

Trainman, Jim, this thread means so much more than I could ever have believed possible. Thank you. Thanks Carol.

Hi Trainman,

I was on vacation on the Oasis when you were posting this live thread (or part of it) and I want to thank you for sharing your week and all your wonderful memories of Carol. I have read several of your live threads and they have always touched me. I wish there were more people like yourself in this world. You are one of a kind. God bless you and I know your dear Angel Carol is looking down on you and enjoying this touching thread like the rest of us. I hope to someday cross your path on a cruise!

• 4 weeks later...

I remembered last night that I set up a section on Photo-Bucket "In Memory of Carol" where I have been posting up photos of Carol that I am still finding and are special for me. Here is the link if you would like to see them.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v329/Trainman-2/In%20Memory%20of%20Carol/?start=all

Jon & I were on a cruise ourselves when you were writing this Jim. I am just now getting a chance to cry for you and your sweetheart of a lady, Carol. I will always remember our time together on the Jewel and how we would get our cocktails and head over to the Viking Crown for our smokes. I have this lovely picture from the second formal night of you and Carol that you might want to add to your collection.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2979099670043779734iSoHrn

Thinking of you and wishing you all the best.

Trainman-2 - Just came across your review today as we are boarding the Freedom in January. What an amazing, touching and unique review. I laughed, I cried, I cried again!

We will definitely think of you and Carol when we are on board the Freedom! :)

I thought about ordering up a scooter for me on this cruise.

There is a company that rents them for $175 for a 7 night cruise. They are delivered to you cabin on the ship and are supposed to be waiting for you ready to go when you board. At the end of the cruise you leave it in your cabin.

I guess that I am not yet ready to "give up" and admit that I can't walk around like I used to.

I sent an email to my surgeon and he responded yesterday that he thinks some physical therapy will help me a lot so I am going to start that next week.

My next cruise is on the Allure in January and I have decided that if I cannot improve my walking skills by then I will rent a scooter for the cruise.

It is funny that last week I got a letter from "The Scooter Store" wanting to pre-qualify me for a Scooter from Medicare.

I have a power chair. As my walking skills improve, I am using it less & less. There are some long walks on board and at ports, so I am not going to give the power chair up for some time.

I just want to say Thank You for taking us on your journey, it was great:D, you and Carol were so lucky to have one another; it gives me hope that True Love will find me, just as it found you and Carol. Looking forward to the next journey that you will take us all on!God Bless

Day 8, Back at Port Canaveral. (Puppies, I am on my way)

Good Morning Everyone,

It is 5:10 as I type.

The Freedom has arrived at Port Canaveral and is in the turning basin turning around so it can moor at the pier pointed back out to sea.

It has been a great week. Perhaps slow to get started, but still a great week.

Thanks again for tuning in...

Jim

Dear Jim:

What a treasure you are! Thank you for including us in your journey. Best wishes for future cuises. Can't you just post here about your "every day" life? Would love to hear more from you.

As for the puppies - DOGS RULE! It doesn't matter if you are gone five minutes, or five hours - they are always glad to see you.

A person as you who opens their life and their heart to strangers is truly, truly amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

I was pointed to this thread while reading a thread about food on RCI ships. it took two days to read the whole thing, but I know I am better for it.

What a wonderful tribute to your beloved Carol. I am sure she was with you as you honored her. I can only imagine how hard it was for you to take that cruise on your own, but you had lots of company doing it both on-line and by the sounds of it on board by the end.

My family and I are hitting Oasis in April...and as a new friend of Trainman-2 promise to recreate the famous breakfast sandwich at least once in the Windjammer.

Peace!

Edited by SciFiCruiser

• 2 weeks later...
And now it is time for me to close out this thread and bring it to an end.

I really, really appreciate all of your sympathy and support.

So I will say goodbye to all of you here on Cruise Critic but I will return in January posting Live from the Allure.

And a special goodbye to Carol.

Carol-05.jpg

"In sickness and in health, in poverty or in wealth, 'til death do us part."

DSCN6949.jpg

Thanks for tuning in my friends...

Jim (Trainman) --- Thank you for another wonderful cruise!!! I also bid a heartfelt farewell to your lovely Carol but know in time you'll meet again and she'll continue to cruise with you in your heart!

I'll join you on CC in Jan ..... someday hoping to meet onboard! Take care till the next cruise ... and see you then.

• 1 month later...
When we were on the Oasis there was an old guy on a scooter who would drive up the the elevator and back up to the doors. Then they opened, he would call out "Backin' Up! Watch Out!" and then he was comin' back and it was up to the rest of the world to get out of his way.

Lol, I had a good laugh at that one!

• 1 year later...

OH My Trainman, I have been so emotional reading this thread it is unbelievable and want to personally thank you for sharing your journey. My husband passed away Nov. 15, 2011 and wants some of his ashes to be scattered at sea in the Caribbean. We both so loved to cruise and I sincerely felt I was right there with you feeling your pain during your journey. Not sure you will see this post but I am going to try and find your new one that you state you are taking in January, not sure if its this year or was last year. I'm always a day late and a dollar short, LOL! You have inspired me to cruise solo, thank you!

Dolly