Questions about Marigot

mferris77

Hi all - We're very interested in visiting Marigot but I had a few questions:

- One thread I just read mentions that the french side only deals in Euros - is this true? Do I need to somehow convert my cash to Euros if I want to do any of your standard touristy shopping in Marigot?

- What is the standard language spoken on the French side? I don't want to presume any shopkeepers speak English if French is the preferred language. (I know that may seem silly but I never once heard dutch when I visited the dutch side a few years ago)

- We'll be taking a taxi there - but I'm concerned about getting back - is there a taxi stand or some place in town there where it's easy to grab a taxi back to the port or to another area of the island? (We'd like to hit up Orient beach after cruising Marigot as well)

- Are there any 'must see' places in Marigot? We'd like to go to a french bakery and get something, also interested in a good place to grab a drink or bite to eat (nothing fancy/expensive though).

- And regarding pastries - I'm traveling with a few friends who are going on a diving expedition and I told them I'd bring them back some pastries, but I just read that the ships might not let you back on with them - is this true? Any reasoning behind that?

- Fort St. Louis - I'd really like to go to the top and get some pictures - has anyone done this? Is it free? How strenuous is the hike? About how long does it take?

Thanks all!

Wow, you're leaving soon!

The US Dollar is accepted everywhere on the island.

Anyone dealing with tourists will speak English. French may be 'preferred' and use it if you're capable, but no worry.

Taxi stand is near the bus parking, between Fort Louis and the Marigot Marketplace. Just ask anyone.

There are recommended bakeries, but we've never stopped for them. I can't imagine being denied back on board with a pastry, or as a comment stated an open bottle of water. I know that I've boarded the Carnival Victory here with an open bottle of beer.

I've got to try Rosemary's at the Marigot waterfront, as chef Tony Bourdain recommends it.

Have your taxi to Marigot drop you up at the Cross -- the base of the final steps up to the Fort. Yes it's free. Not too strenuous, just take your time. Walk back down is a breeze. Time depends entirely on how long you're taking photos.

gary

I was the person that had her box of pastries confiscated and I saw that anyone with an open bottle of water had them confiscated as well (no idea why - maybe to force people to purchase beverages, etc. onboard?). They were confiscating the water at every port we stopped at. However, please note that I was on Royal Caribbean so if you are sailing with a different cruise line, you may have no trouble bringing back the pastries. The security people wouldn't give me a reason for not allowing me to board with the pastries, they just said they were not allowed on board and took them away. I didn't argue because I was hot, sunburned and tired and there was a long line of people behind me waiting to go through as well so I didn't want to hold things up.

Of course, this just means I will have to fly to St Maarten next time and spend more time enjoying the island and the pastries (haha)....

Good luck - I hope you have better luck with security than I did!

I was the person that had her box of pastries confiscated

Pastries confiscated :eek: ?! Maybe the security people wanted to try them themselves!! I would have HATED to relinquish my pastries. I think I'd have found a shady spot, sat & ate them all myself :D .

Pastries confiscated :eek: ?! Maybe the security people wanted to try them themselves!! I would have HATED to relinquish my pastries. I think I'd have found a shady spot, sat & ate them all myself :D .

Sound like me in Martinique!

I wasn't on RCCL, but I didn't want to take any chances of the ship security telling me no on my pastries I had purchased at a small shop I found while wandering about Fort de France.

I sat outside near the boarding entrance and enjoyed the sea breeze while eating some of the best pastries that I ever had in my life! One of the great moments of that cruise!!!

• 6 months later...
Wow, you're leaving soon!

The US Dollar is accepted everywhere on the island.

Anyone dealing with tourists will speak English. French may be 'preferred' and use it if you're capable, but no worry.

Taxi stand is near the bus parking, between Fort Louis and the Marigot Marketplace. Just ask anyone.

There are recommended bakeries, but we've never stopped for them. I can't imagine being denied back on board with a pastry, or as a comment stated an open bottle of water. I know that I've boarded the Carnival Victory here with an open bottle of beer.

I've got to try Rosemary's at the Marigot waterfront, as chef Tony Bourdain recommends it.

Have your taxi to Marigot drop you up at the Cross -- the base of the final steps up to the Fort. Yes it's free. Not too strenuous, just take your time. Walk back down is a breeze. Time depends entirely on how long you're taking photos.

gary

Just returned from my cruise and was in St. Maarten this past Monday and checked out Rosemary's and it was amazing! I have a picture of the menu if you are interested just email me and I'll send it (I had the Jamaican Style Spicy Jerk Chicken & Rib Combo).

Fort Louis was also well worth the climb, thanks for the advice.

Greg

We didn't have pastries confiscated but did have Conch Fritters taken when boarding (Royal Caribbean). They told us you can not bring food onboard so eat them or toss them. Ours did stand out because they were in a white styrofoam box.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Just returned from my cruise and was in St. Maarten this past Monday and checked out Rosemary's and it was amazing! I have a picture of the menu if you are interested just email me and I'll send it (I had the Jamaican Style Spicy Jerk Chicken & Rib Combo).

Fort Louis was also well worth the climb, thanks for the advice.

Greg

Glad that it worked out for you. :)

I see the menu in another post, and thank you for that.

gary

Archived