Safety or Smuggling?

CDorsey1981

I already know that this thread is going to cause alot of drama, but there is something I feel the need to say. Why is it that some people feel smuggling is such a big priority for them? Safety of the passengers on a cruise ship should be the TOP priority for everyone. I can not understand WHY people create posts about smuggling alcohol and the ports they were able to smuggle it into. If anyone recalls the plot 4 years ago with terrorists planning to destroy airplanes with liquid explosives which is why there is a liquid ban for carry on luggage on airplanes. WHY would ANYONE want to give terrorists an idea of how to smuggle liquids onto a cruise ship and the places they've done it at? Maybe im being overly dramatic but I just had to get that off my chest. Does anyone feel the same way I do? Let the flames begin, im ready.

I think you're being overly dramatic....folks SHOULD be allowed to bring their own alcohol....the majority of folks will still be buying drinks from the bars, but sometimes, it's nice to be able to make your own drink. Personally, I'd rather drink at the bars...it's MUCH more fun than sitting in your cabin...but a drink while you're getting ready for the evening is fine....

There are and always will be "liquids" brought onto ships...shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, hairspray, shaving cream....there's absolutely NO NEED for a terrorist to need to "hide" their liquids. Liquids are allowed!

I know the point that you are trying to get across but it would not take that much of an explosion to puncture the skin of an airplane and cause a catastrophe. Hence not that much liquid needed and the band is in place.

Now a steel haul of a ship is entirely a different story. The size of the explosion and the amount of material to achieve that goal would be pretty large. It probably would have to be an inside job plus add to the fact it would have to be placed below the waterline if they were trying to sink the ship.

Just my thoughts,

Vinnie

The liquid combinations are just as dangerous. cbatsea, my POINT that I was trying to get across was that people who are Xrays look for things that are normal/consistent...so OF COURSE the normal shampoo bottle or conditioner bottle wouldnt alarm their eye because its allowed and normal...but people use rumrunners to intentionally smuggle a prohibited item...

I'd be far more concerned with solids - C4, plastique, etc.

just thought I'd add to your list. there is substance called detta sheet it shows up on the scanner as being naturally occuring materials.One small square about one inch square can do some serious damage. Honestly and I can say this cause I took the explosive detection course for Airport security, I'd be more affraid of solid stuff then liquid stuff. Liquid explosive tend to give off an odour even in small amount and even the smartest people can tell that booze doesn't smell like gas, or nitro, or anything like that. From a security perspective I don't like the idea of overly intoxicated individual that can get aggressive being on a board with me but that is the way it is and we have to suck it up

Does anyone feel the same way I do? Let the flames begin, im ready.

No - I do not believe alcohol is a safety issue, any more than it is a safety issue back home.

If people truly believed alcohol was a danger to society, we would not have it legal. People tried to prohibit it once. Bad decision. 'Nuff said.

So, if you accept that alcohol is not a safety issue then what other reason could there be to prohibit it? Maybe the almighty dollar?

Yes, I view my cruise cabin as my home away from home, and my personal space while I am a guest on the cruise ship. The cruise line cannot tell me what I can or cannot do in there, unless it is illegal or unsafe. Alcohol is neither.

Now, I can understand that it is poor manners to bring outside booze into a bar or a theater where booze is being sold. Same goes for the restaurants. But if I only drink it in my cabin... is it OK then? I say it is, and I really don't give a d@#! what the cruise line thinks or about their bar revenue.

I"m with you on this. I guess I would be teaching my kids its ok to break the rules no matter what. So if I break the rules, how could I tell my kids not to break the rules anywhere, even at school. What a horrible parent I would be. And when I get flamed for this its because peoples convictions are running high, weather they choose to believe it or not.

I"m with you on this. I guess I would be teaching my kids its ok to break the rules no matter what. So if I break the rules, how could I tell my kids not to break the rules anywhere, even at school. What a horrible parent I would be. And when I get flamed for this its because peoples convictions are running high, weather they choose to believe it or not.

Just don't tell your kids..

just keep it up and i might not cruise anymore.

now to get it really going, while reading the above post I will bet you that all the people that aprove of smuggling are the ones that say they pay extra Gratuities. I bet you I do I do.

just keep it up and i might not cruise anymore.

now to get it really going, while reading the above post I will bet you that all the people that aprove of smuggling are the ones that say they pay extra Gratuities. I bet you I do I do.

Say what, now?

Here's the deal. I don't think a ship is secure, nor is a plane for that matter. If someone wants to do something sinister, they will do it. When Columbine happenned, I had 2 kids in middle school. There was a meeting after that with parents and school officials. The principal said there is basically nothing that can be done to prevent this sort of thing. If someone wants to come in and shoot up the place, they're gonna do it. To prevent it, you'd have to build a 10 foot tall brick wall around it with razor wire on top and search every vehicle that enters like a prison, and that ain't gonna happen. You can live your life, or you can live your life in fear. If you live your life in fear, the terrorists win.

Here's the deal. I don't think a ship is secure, nor is a plane for that matter. If someone wants to do something sinister, they will do it. When Columbine happenned, I had 2 kids in middle school. There was a meeting after that with parents and school officials. The principal said there is basically nothing that can be done to prevent this sort of thing. If someone wants to come in and shoot up the place, they're gonna do it. To prevent it, you'd have to build a 10 foot tall brick wall around it with razor wire on top and search every vehicle that enters like a prison, and that ain't gonna happen. You can live your life, or you can live your life in fear. If you live your life in fear, the terrorists win.

Sadly, I have to agree... Where there is a will, there is a way. I think we can take as many preventive measures as we like. However, a person who wants to do something crazy will take months or years carefully analyzing and calculating their plan. I don't think we can prevent or stop a determined individual(s). I also don't think we should lay awake at night worrying about it. We need safety and security regulations, but we also have to trust that the people who enforce those regulations are doing everything they can to prevent criminal activity.

Lemme guess... you majored in drama?

Seriously, C4, plastique and other(s) are of more concern.

Take a chill pill and then take a deep breath.... innnnnn..... ouuuuutttt...

There... isn't that better? :D

You'll be fine. Enjoy your cruise!

No I majored in chemistry and can tell you that a simple person with the right formula can create something just as ungodly as C4. Any person with an Internet connection can find the right formula. it doesn't take much. Hence why there is the 3 oz rules when flying.

Archived