Trip insurance

paradoc1

I know this has been on the boards before but I am still trying to figure it out, I have used Carnival trip insurance before with the medical but I think that it is more expensive than others. I did go to "insure my trip" yesterday and after looking at the packages I got more confused can you all help me out, thanks:)

I know this has been on the boards before but I am still trying to figure it out, I have used Carnival trip insurance before with the medical but I think that it is more expensive than others. I did go to "insure my trip" yesterday and after looking at the packages I got more confused can you all help me out, thanks:)

Go to Insure my trip and choose TravelGuard, and then choose the bundle ( air, luggage, cruise, theft, sickness, and emergency vac). Very reasonable:)

The Carnival Berkely Policy provides low Medical coverage, marginal MedEvac coverage and no "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions". The Policy DOES offer Future Cruise CREDIT if your claim is denied as due to a Pre-Existing Condition and now includes cancellation coverage for Hurricane Warning and Job Layoff. If you cancel your Cruise before final Payment, the Carnival Policy premium is refundable. Carnival and Berkely both claim that the Policy also covers your independently purchased AirFare. The Carnival Policy is less expensive than the 3rd party policies if you're age is in the 70’s, as Age is not factored into Carnival Berkely’s premium as it is with 3rd Party Policies.

The 3rd Party Trip Insurance Policies such as CSA, Travel-Ex and Travel-Insured offer much higher coverages and are much less expensive if you're younger. They generally offer "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" (which can expedite the claims process) if you purchase w/in 14-21 days of your Cruise Deposit; CSA allows you to purchase up to Final Payment and retain the Waiver. Otherwise, you can purchase Carnival Berkely Insurance up to 14 days before sailaway, and you can purchase most other policies practically up to sailaway. You MUST be physically fit to travel the day you purchase.

Most Policies are “Secondary” meaning that you have to first file claims with your own Health and/or Homeowners Insurance and be reimbursed/rejected by them, then the 3rd party Policy will pay what your insurance doesn’t pay (up to the limits of the policy). Primary Policies pay everything (up to limits of the Policy) without requiring you to first file and coordinate benefits with your personal policies, which can help expedite the claims process.

Cancel for Any Reason” coverage is usually offered as an option, usually for additional 50% of the premium . It’s important to read the associated Policy as many policies do not pay 100% and many policies pay LESS the later you cancel. The Princess Berkely Policy offers 75% Cancel for Any Reason Future Cruise CREDIT.

You need to select a Policy at least somewhat based on your own situation/concerns (if traveling with kids, if prior medical conditions, if over age 70, if Military, if concerned about LayOff….:

TravelEx and TravelInsured insure kids free with insured adults.

USAA offers their members discounted (about 9%) Travel-Insured Policies with some expanded coverages.

TravelEX is PRIMARY and includes kids under 16 free and offers a Business/Military upgrade.

CSA Freestyle includes Cancellation for Layoff and for School Year Extension.

Patriot TRIP is PRIMARY coverage and includes Cancellation for Layoff, Cancelled Leave for Military, Fire & Police and Missed Cruise for Flight Delay.

TravelSafe includes Cancel for Hurricane Warning and Cancel for Any Reason (not always 100%).

You can compare Policies and Premiums for your specific age, destination, dates and cruise costs, at the Insurer's sites or at sites such as www.insuremytrip.com and www.buyamericaninsurance.com . Note that some Policies also have a $6 or $8 application Fee added-on.

If you're not into Research, checkout CSA Comfort and CSA Freestyle, and TravelInsured Trip Protector and AIG TravelGuard Premier Protect.

FIRST check your personal Health Plan for out-of-country medical and MedEvac coverage, your Homeowners Insurance for Personal Property coverage, and your Credit Card for Trip Cancellation/Interruption, AD&D coverage, and Baggage Loss/Delay coverage and Rental Car DDW coverage!!! For Example:

· VISA Signature Card offers $500,000max Common Carrier Accidental Death & dismemberment, $3000max Lost Luggage by common carrier, $300max Luggage Delay by common carrier and Rental Car CDW.

· World MasterCard offers Flight AD&D and Rental Car CDW, minimal Trip Cancellation/Delay and Baggage coverage.

Government Employee’s Blue Cross blue shield (BCBS) includes Out-of-Country Medical Coverage, via an out-of-country Provider Network.

ken

What do you want the insurance to cover? Do you just want the cruise paid for if you don't go? Do you have a pre-existing condition? Are you only worried about medical evacuation? First figure out what you want covered than find the policy that covers it. If you are not sure call customer service at Insure my trip and ask, I have found them to be very helpful.

The main concern for our upcoming cruise was a hurricane headed toward our house. That was only covered by cancel for any reason so that is the policy that I got. We had some price drops with ES that covered the cost of the insurance.

I have purchased travel insurance several times from different insurance companies but never had to make a claim until recently. My mother passed away 3 days before we were supposed to do a land vacation to Mexico. I had purchased insurance from Global Alert and they covered everything. I would not hesitate to purchase a policy from them again.

Ken, what a thorough explanation! That was great, even for someone like me who buys 3rd party insurance for myself and my entire group every time I cruise. The information about Carnival's Berkely policy was especially informative, much of that is not in CCL's general info (that I saw, I did not actually go far enough to read the details of the policy).

To the OP - it would help us to know what exactly you are confused about. It's hard to clear something up for you when we don't know what it is you need to know. We have purchased CSA, TravelGuard and TravelEx in the past, this time we have TravelSafe. InsureMyTrip.com has a great site, user friendly, for comparing the different policies - make sure you click the box on the second page to show ALL the policies after you choose the ones you want to compare, it will then spread them all out side by side and you can delete as you weed through them. I have some in my group this year who's age is now making a significant impact on the premium. For them, I opted for Carnival's coverage because they already have private insurance that will cover them (medically) outside of the country. All they needed was the cost of their trip covered, they are not flying. For the rest of us, I chose TraveSafe for the higher coverage amounts (compared to Carnival's plan) at a lower or comparable cost (depending on age). TravelSafe included the pre-existing condition waiver (if purchased within 14 days of initial deposit, look out for that), high emergency evac coverage, and the option to add cancel for any reason coverage (which I did for 2 of the policies). So... you need to know what's important/necessary to your particular circumstances. Of the 7 of us traveling in November, I insured us all in 3 different ways, based on individual needs. If you have specific questions, ask here or call InsureMyTrip, they are very helpful.

You are not alone in being confused. I was also confused when I went to insuremytrip.com. I picked a couple of policies and called their inquiry number and asked a couple of questions but still was confused so I ended up just going with Carnival's insurance since I was booking for 8 of us it was just easier. May not have been the best price or policy but the price was reasonable and as I said, it was the easiest for me.

I have always found insure my trip people to be very helpful. They dont seem to be rushed and always answered my question--no matter how many times I asked it! I am very anal and want to get the best deal I can. We have used both insure my trip-- believe it was travel guard and carnivals insurance. Carnivals was the most hassle but we were glad we had it. Good luck

They were nice and answered my questions and normally I'm a pretty smart gal but in this case I just felt stupid cuz all those policies still confused me as to which one would be best. We needed to go ahead and book our cruise so I just went with Carnival.

My main concern is insurance for trip cancellation or if our flight is delayed. We have pretty good medical insurance that would cover us outside of the country. Any suggestions?

thanks

Any of the "lite" policies that have low medical. ken

I got ours at USAA. I'm not sure if you have to be a member or not to purchase, but when I purchsed, it didn't ask for any info like that (we are members). It was the least expensive and the best deal. We primarily wanted coverage for trip cancellation and the medical. We have pretty great coverage for everything else, we just didn't want any big bills if someone slips and breaks their finger. :) Oh, I don't know if I am supposed to post prices, but for 8 of us it was $92 for the Trip Protector Lite thru Travel Insured.

I got ours at USAA. I'm not sure if you have to be a member or not to purchase, but when I purchsed, it didn't ask for any info like that (we are members). It was the least expensive and the best deal. We primarily wanted coverage for trip cancellation and the medical. We have pretty great coverage for everything else, we just didn't want any big bills if someone slips and breaks their finger. :) Oh, I don't know if I am supposed to post prices, but for 8 of us it was $92 for the Trip Protector Lite thru Travel Insured.

The USAA-offered TravelInsured Polices are one of the better deals around; they are somewhat discounted and some of the coverages are increased for USSAA members. You have to be a USAA member to purchase. ken

Hope you don't mind if I jump in here with my questions. We are taking my parents and in-laws on a cruise in November. We do not purchase insurance. However, my parents want me to find insurance for them. Their concern is evacuation and I think last minute cancellation. They are 83 and 82. They have medicare and BC/BS. We drive to the port so airfare is not the issue. The price comes up pretty high when you are that age. What kind of coverage do I need to get them which would cover cancellation due to a non-preexisting illness (Neither have any preexisting illnesses) and evacuation. Thanks so much for any help to try to narrow down and not pay for lost luggage, cancelled flights, etc.

Hope you don't mind if I jump in here with my questions. We are taking my parents and in-laws on a cruise in November. We do not purchase insurance. However, my parents want me to find insurance for them. Their concern is evacuation and I think last minute cancellation. They are 83 and 82. They have medicare and BC/BS. We drive to the port so airfare is not the issue. The price comes up pretty high when you are that age. What kind of coverage do I need to get them which would cover cancellation due to a non-preexisting illness (Neither have any preexisting illnesses) and evacuation. Thanks so much for any help to try to narrow down and not pay for lost luggage, cancelled flights, etc.

The Medicare doesn't help! At age 80+, the best price deal around is the Cruiseline insurance, which does not factor age into the calculation. They would be able to cancel for the reasons indicated in the Carnival Berkely Policy and be reimbursed; if they had to cancel and the reason was determined to be for a pre-existing condition, they'd receive a future cruise credit. They should be able to purchase up to 14 days prior to sailaway, but I'd purchase ASAP. http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/CarnivalCVPPDescriptionofCoverage.pdf

On the downside, The Carnival Berkely Policy has marginal MEDEVAC coverage and very low medical. Have them check their BCBS - mine includes "Out-of-Country" coverage and an out-of-country network, which includes more than adequate medical and MEDEVAC.

Otherwise, at their age you're looking at a premium 2X and 3X as much for third party Policies (look at TravelInsured Lite and such)!!!

For 3rd party policies the "cancelled flights" really isn't an issue, since you add the cost of the flights to the amount you're insuring, thus increasing the premium - you would just not be adding in any airfare. Some 3rd party policies won't insure above 80 or 85. You may want to look at some of the Medical only policies at insuremytrip.com?

ken

I always use steve at http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/ as he is always available by phone or email to help with any questions. My experience with him has been nothing but positive.

Wow!!! thanks for all the info as to the questions of what I'm concerned about my main concern is medical and possible evac, not that I have any serious problems but knowing how I am (risk taker) I might get hurt tripping over my own feet or fall up the stairs ( lol) I work in an ER and have seen a fewfolks that had some care done while they were crusing and though it was not done onboard the results were bad and it took a lot to get them back in shape. from what I can see I will most likely go with Insure my trip and use the travel guard package. we will be driving there and will arive the day before so I'm not worried about flight or luggage just the trip again thanks a lot

Archived