Question about HH Category rooms on Ryndam

hmp2z

I know this is probably a silly question, but we've only cruised once before, on Celebrity, and it was a balcony room. This time, we have a category H guarantee oceanview room on the Ryndam, but I've been seeing how much more affordable the category HH rooms are. However, I see these rooms are described as having "fully obstructed views." What does that mean? How is it an oceanview room with a fully obstructed view? If anyone has a photo of the view, or any explanations that could help elucidate the mystery for me, I'd be greatly appreciative!

Thanks!

Heather W

The cabins are not all the way on the outside of the ship, but rather across the promenade from the railing, a distance of maybe 10 feet. Across from the HH cabins will be a steel wall that is part of the superstructure of the ship.

Flanking the HH cabins are DD that have a view of the water straight out and to one side, but see only that same steel wall looking the other direction.

In this picture, the nearest window is a DD, while the next two are HHs. You can see the heavy shadow on the deck cast by the steel wall. Actually, in most of the HH, if you stand right at the window and look hard left or right you can see water.

I think the HH are much better than the H, because the latter have only portholes, and are very far forward where it can be very bouncy in rough water.

attachment.php?attachmentid=131599&d=1252689333

First, think of it as an "outside", not an "oceanview". It has a window to the great outdoors, so it's an outside.

The "fully obstructed" will be the ship's superstructure across the promenade. Usually if you look in one direction or the other, you will get a glimpse of sea and sky. At least you know what the weather looks like!

You will get light, both day and night. The outside deck is lighted at night, so it's advisable to keep your draperies closed while you sleep. And while you dress! No one can see in during the daytime, but it's possible to be seen at night when you have lights on in the cabin.

We have booked cat. HH a number of times. They are spacious and light...you can see outside from and angle...and they are steps from the lower promenade. They are a good value. We have had them on the Ryndam in Mexico...we love the Ryndam...our first HAL cruise!

Karen

Hey Vic, Got any Photos of that stateroom that I can use for the Stateroom pages?? I've had a couple of requests for H 501 or H 502 recently by cruisers with some mobility problems.

Joanie

Hello luv

I'll send em over if I can find them. It was a long time ago (on Statendam during her maiden year) so I have to go thru my files.

And believe it or not, when I stayed in that cabin, it wasn't an accessible cabin. They re-classified 501 and 502 as "modified accessible" a few years ago, way after I was on board.

So the layout was very similar to the other catgories of outside cabins D, E, F, and so on.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

Hello luv

I'll send em over if I can find them. It was a long time ago (on Statendam during her maiden year) so I have to go thru my files.

And believe it or not, when I stayed in that cabin, it wasn't an accessible cabin. They re-classified 501 and 502 as "modified accessible" a few years ago, way after I was on board.

So the layout was very similar to the other catgories of outside cabins D, E, F, and so on.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

Thank You Vic!!!

They will be great as will be your description above:) Just having them will be such a HUGE help!!!

Joanie

Archived