Flynlo

No Children Allowed in Steakhouse  

701 members have voted

1. 1. No Children Allowed in Steakhouse

• No Children Allowed in Steakhouse
    • Yes Children are OK
    • I Could Care Less
    • Keep Them out of the Steakhouse and Chefs Table

The fact that 3 or 4 children can "picnic" for free is not well known. I for one, did not realize that until my last cruise. It just surprises me that the day we ate there, the 2 families took up 2 tables with 6 seats and paid for only 2 adults. I would accept the argument that you paid $30 for your child to eat there and he was perfectly behaved - no problem. I know at least one group of 6 that were "wait listed, then denied, when no table was available for that time slot that we were there. I just find it interesting that Carnival does not see this as a severe restriction on "selling" steakhouse seats. As I pointed out, for over 2 hours, seats were filled with non paying children while paying adults were turned away. I might add, there were many "trips to the bathroom" from both tables that made the in/out traffic distracting. 2 kids out, one returns, runs across the steakhouse, wants Mom, she leaves, then all our back, repeat every 20 minutes times two tables (including one chase around the table before they sat down), another trip for one child at the table to go with Dad to the Lido get french fries from the grill that they saw one of the other children at the other table had. And one final trip by two of the children together to get ice cream cones on the Lido to eat in the steakhouse while their parents ate their dessert. BTW, the children were also given "samples" from their parents desserts, but no money was charged because, the kids brought their own food and did not eat off the menu.

Now these are the type of cruisers people are referring to when they say they come from the trailer parks.

Once again for the overprotective parents that insist on calling people child haters and child racists.

It is NOT the child anyone is against, it is the BEHAVIOR of the child that is the concern.

Well behaved, no one is concerned in any way.

Bad behavior, the child must leave. Preferably the permissive parents leave too.

It's no different than going into a restaurant at home and children are in the restaurant. Carnival would never ban children from the Steakhouse - it's all about the money and family. Restaurants don't ban children why should Carnival? At least the parents KNOW where their kid(s) are at.

Fine - If parent pays the $30.00 for each of them then let them go. I think you would find that tables for 6 people would no longer have 4 of the 6 seats free.

$60.00 for the table of 6 with 2 paying adults and 4 "Picnic" children would now cost $360 for the family of 6 - those people would be much more likely to worry about how their children are behaving and they would not be running in and out of the steakhouse to get "seconds" from the Lido deck to bring back to the steakhouse to eat.

I am always amazed at the snarky comments when someone starts a thread like this. This poll asks for opinions and everyone knows that opinions are like aholes. Everyone has them and they sometimes stink.

If you do not like someone's opinion that is fine but do we really have to resort to name calling?

Because someone wants to have dinner without the constant interruption that many ( not all) children cause, makes them a kid hater? I think not.

Just because your Buffy and Skip can sit through dinner and be perfect angels ( or so you think) , means that all children can do so? Again I think not.

Someone mentioned that it all boils down to money. If the kids do not have to pay to "picnic" ( a fact many of us did/do not know) , then what money?

My children are grown but when they were little , I could not see taking them to a fine dining establishment just to be bored to tears. Seriously most kids cannot handle but a few minutes of sitting down and being still. Very few could handle a very lengthy dinner.

As far as the wait staff preferring children to complainers. It depends on the complainers. Most wait staff would rather not wait on children. Especially of those children are picnicking. They would get to wait on these kids , clean up after them and theoretically make nothing. The steakhouse fee covers the tip so if the children do not pay..... no tip with the additional clean up.

And for those with reading comprehension issues, I do not hate kids. This is my opinion and mine alone.

If I see one more person saying "this is MY week that *I* paid for, so you better respect that" (or something to that effect), I'm gonna scream.

Guess what? I'ts EVERYONE'S week on that ship. Everyone is on vacation, except the people who work on the ship. You're not special. You're no more special than any other passenger, so stow the air of entitlement. And that applies to everyone -- the parents, the folks who don't want kids in the steakhouse, the drunks, the teatotallers. EVERYONE.

Your rights are terminated when they start infringing on the rights of others. You cannot do as you please. You are still not only limited by the rules of the cruiseline, but also the strictures of society. Being on vacation does not give you the permission to let your kids run free-range or to be rude to someone because they're bringing their kids to a restaurant.

If the cruiseline says kids are okay, kids are okay. But your kid acts up, be prepared to suffer the wrath of a displeased crowd. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Stop and think about that for a second. Everyone.

If I see one more person saying "this is MY week that *I* paid for, so you better respect that" (or something to that effect), I'm gonna scream.

Guess what? I'ts EVERYONE'S week on that ship. Everyone is on vacation, except the people who work on the ship. You're not special. You're no more special than any other passenger, so stow the air of entitlement. And that applies to everyone -- the parents, the folks who don't want kids in the steakhouse, the drunks, the teatotallers. EVERYONE.

Your rights are terminated when they start infringing on the rights of others. You cannot do as you please. You are still not only limited by the rules of the cruiseline, but also the strictures of society. Being on vacation does not give you the permission to let your kids run free-range or to be rude to someone because they're bringing their kids to a restaurant.

If the cruiseline says kids are okay, kids are okay. But your kid acts up, be prepared to suffer the wrath of a displeased crowd. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Stop and think about that for a second. Everyone.

One person's right to swing their arms, ENDS, at the next person's nose!

I understand the thought here but have to admit that I went to very fine restaurants with my family growing up all over New York City. I was very well behaved and am glad that I had the experience. I don't think you should limit kids. I even ate in the North Tower at Windows on the World. Don't let misbehaved children or the parents of them to limit the experiences of all children. Debbie

For those on a cruise with my family, be prepared, if we decide to enjoy a dinner at the steakhouse and our 11 y/o son decides to join us, he will. Those who are worried about THEIR vacation and THEIR week and THEIR experience, you need to remember that it is also OUR vacation and OUR week and OUR experience also. WE have also spent OUR money for the cruise. Also know that WE raise our child properly and have taught him what kind of behavior is expected when in public and we can proudly say that he is much better behaved in a public setting and in fine restaurants than many adults I have seen in the same situations.

We enjoy vacationing and traveling with our son. We also enjoy sharing some of the finer experiences with him, if he chooses to join us.

For you that have that big of a problem with children, I suggest you find an adult only vacation experience so that those of us who choose to vacation and participate in nice activities with our children can enjoy them in relative peace and not have our children exposed to the type of prejudice and negative attitude that you exude.

I think if you let your kids act like brats, and make loud noise, or run around, then you should be removed, the kids can stay, but the irresponsible parents should get removed.

I think I should be allowed to have a nice dinner, without interruption from others.

Or

Should I be allowed to make loud "R" rated conversation with the adults I am with, and your kids just have to listen to, or watch as I have a make out session with my wife at our table next to yours?

Maybe we should all act with respect of others regardless of age. I would say act like they are in Church, but an hour ago there was a little (12/14) girl across the isle from me with her feet/shoes on the top of the back in front of her. I was expecting her mom to handle it, but mom was busy taking to the girl in question.

Fine - If parent pays the $30.00 for each of them then let them go. I think you would find that tables for 6 people would no longer have 4 of the 6 seats free.

$60.00 for the table of 6 with 2 paying adults and 4 "Picnic" children would now cost $360 for the family of 6 - those people would be much more likely to worry about how their children are behaving and they would not be running in and out of the steakhouse to get "seconds" from the Lido deck to bring back to the steakhouse to eat.

I think it would go more like this,

"I paid $30.00 for each of my children, so they can act up if they want, they paid to be here"

How about if Carnival were to open a "Kids only" No Parents allowed Restaurant. Now follow me, kind of like a Tea Party for the girls, they get to dress up a little, and have adult food, but kid sized. Maybe it could be run by camp Carnival staff so they could explain what things were if the Kids had questions, and have several NEW things to try like sea food, escargot, fancy deserts.

Once again for the overprotective parents that insist on calling people child haters and child racists.

It is NOT the child anyone is against, it is the BEHAVIOR of the child that is the concern.

Well behaved, no one is concerned in any way.

Bad behavior, the child must leave. Preferably the permissive parents leave too.

Agree 100%.

And am tired of being threatened with having bad children sent to annoy me because we voice our opinions on that bad behavior.

As far as the wait staff preferring children to complainers. It depends on the complainers. Most wait staff would rather not wait on children. Especially of those children are picnicking. They would get to wait on these kids , clean up after them and theoretically make nothing. The steakhouse fee covers the tip so if the children do not pay..... no tip with the additional clean up.

You are correct that most wait staff would prefer to have a table of adults than children. It is unbelievable on how long it takes to get an order (parents asking their children 6 or 7 times if they want milk or juice etc) the mess they create, the noise, and usually less of a tip. However, I have waited on some children that are a joy to be around because the parent has their act together. You can tell a great parent right away :).

I am paying to take my child on the cruise not you! I could care less where you think it is appropriate to take my child, and if anyone on our cruise that leaves tomorrow would like to try to tell me otherwise, I can tell them where they can go and what they can do when they get there!! The poor OP who asked last night if she could take her 3 y/o to the steakhouse, not for any of your opinions as to what she should do with HER CHILD!!

Sorry, but your attitude is one that causes some people to not want to be around children.

Looks like most per poll results would prefer no rugrats in Steahouse or Chefs table.

Carnival are you there? No Children Allowed in Steakhouse

We were having a drink in a fishermen's bar in the Fl Keys. A sign over the bar said:

UNATTENDED CHILDREN WILL BE USED AS CHUM

Well said.

(I voted 'Children are OK' on the poll. That is because I feel most kids/parents are good....those that are not are what unfortunately, bring out polls like this in the first place)

Looks like most per poll results would prefer no rugrats in Steahouse or Chefs table.

Carnival are you there? No Children Allowed in Steakhouse

Why, Children have a right to be where they are allowed, Kinda of like smokers, there are designated areas where they can not be and the steak house is not one of them.

If we have to endure drunks, foul language from fellow passengers, Rude people who can not wait their turns leaving a ship, Adults not letting people off an elevator before trying to enter. And people screaming profanity from their drunken mouths from different decks of balconies. You can endure my child at dinner that I am paying for.

Unless the OP is starting their own cruiseline, this poll is irrelavent.

All paying guests are welcome in the Supper CLUB. and according to John Heald, there are no plans to change that.

I think I read on his blog, somewhere, that he intended to take his lil darling to the steakhouse along with his wife.

My kids are grown and I did take them out when they were little to Cracker Barrel, Golden Corral, etc. We never let them run amok, it just wasn't acceptable. I did take my infant daughter to a fine dining restaurant, removing myself from the table to feed her and then she slept through the rest of the meal.

Archived