Denied boarding

USA_Cruiser

Before you start flaming. I don’t have a passport and don’t travel enough to have one. We cruise maybe every other year and we don’t go out of the country any other time. Now for what happened we were suppose to cruise on the Dream today but when we got to the port we were denied boarding. The Documents we had was my birth cert. and my driver’s license. DH had his driver’s license and a certified birth record which he have used on the other 3 cruises we have been on with Carnival and there was no issue BUT as a 2 weeks ago they no longer except that document. And we weren’t the only ones there were families with children that were refused boarding. I called Carnival and spoke to 3 different people regarding this and was told if we didn’t take the insurance out that Carnival offered we were SOOL this just FYI if you have a certified birth record and have used it before you can’t use it now. You need a birth certificate. We thought since we used it in the past we could still use it. And regular insurance won’t cover them denying you boarding.

Before you start flaming. I don’t have a passport and don’t travel enough to have one. We cruise maybe every other year and we don’t go out of the country any other time. Now for what happened we were suppose to cruise on the Dream today but when we got to the port we were denied boarding. The Documents we had was my birth cert. and my driver’s license. DH had his driver’s license and a certified birth record which he have used on the other 3 cruises we have been on with Carnival and there was no issue BUT as a 2 weeks ago they no longer except that document. And we weren’t the only ones there were families with children that were refused boarding. I called Carnival and spoke to 3 different people regarding this and was told if we didn’t take the insurance out that Carnival offered we were SOOL this just FYI if you have a certified birth record and have used it before you can’t use it now. You need a birth certificate. We thought since we used it in the past we could still use it. And regular insurance won’t cover them denying you boarding.

OMG, I'm so sorry to hear that! Don't worry about people flaming you b/c it's in their nature. I have one person trying to push my buttons on a thread I started today.

We were on the Pride two weeks ago and we had birth certificates not birth records. I was worried out of my mind until I got on the ship. Next year will definitely be passports for us!

Wow - I am not going to say should have, could have, would haves because this just sucks big time and I truly feel bad for you and others who were denied boarding. I would like to know how many they denied, how much money they lost because of this and if this was a Carnival thing or Home Land Security thing. Can't believe that it would be strictly Carnival because they are in it for the bottom line and that is profit - they would have lost a bundle on this. Must have been a recent directive for HLS. I really hope that this was resolved at some point for you - please let us know. Again I am really sorry this happened to you.

A certificate of Live Birth has NEVER been a legal document. You cannot use it on an I-9 or use it to get your DL(least not in Kansas) and it basically is nothing more than a ceremonial document for framing. I'm surprised Carnival ever accepted it as proof of ID? Not flaming just saying.

how much money they lost because of this
:confused: Huh? Carnival lost absolutely nothing.

Day of sailing is obviously the zero refund period, and the "Vacation Protection Plan" operates, and is accounted for, as an insurance policy, so there will always be payouts, but they would be more than offset by premiums collected.

Wow - I am not going to say should have, could have, would haves because this just sucks big time and I truly feel bad for you and others who were denied boarding. I would like to know how many they denied, how much money they lost because of this and if this was a Carnival thing or Home Land Security thing. Can't believe that it would be strictly Carnival because they are in it for the bottom line and that is profit - they would have lost a bundle on this. Must have been a recent directive for HLS. I really hope that this was resolved at some point for you - please let us know. Again I am really sorry this happened to you.

There was a family of 5 2 adults, 3 small children, middle age couple from Buffalo NY, another couple with 2 children and then us this was a matter of 20 minutes.

Day of sailing is obviously the zero refund period, and the "Vacation Protection Plan" operates, and is accounted for, as an insurance policy, so there will always be payouts, but they would be more than offset by premiums collected.

I beg to differ - this is only this tip of the iceberg. I don't know how many times I have read: my S&S card was $800-1000-1500-2000, I bought 2-4-6-8 pictures, I booked a Carnival Excursion in every port, I bought 2-4-6-8 Tshirts, I played bingo often, I booked the steakhouse and the list goes on. The cruise price is only a part of what people spend. Believe me, their bottom line still suffered whether people cruised or not.

Carnival maks it's profit off the money you spend on the ship, not the fares. Cruise ships need 110% capacity just to break even.

I must admit as far as I know the only official record of your birth would be at the Office of vital records.......certified birth certificates are copies of the record....

Now my dh and I have birth certificates with a raised seal that we were going to use on the cruise rather than investing in passports. The cruise was a surprise gift for us and we were hoping to use birth certificates than have to spend so much money on 4 passports but maybe we need to. I would hate to get there and be denied!

I am soooo sorry that happened to you!

About 5 years ago, my husband had a birth record and not a birth certificatie. At that time, we were allow on the ship; however, it took a while. They suggested that we get a passport. As soon as we came back home, we applied for the passports and started using them every since. Yes this was a Carnival cruise going out of NY.

That really bites,when you wait for a trip that you have been looking forward to and can't go, I am sailing in 8 days, I would be devastated.

Hope you will get to enjoy a trip real soon.

Canadians have needed passports since 2008 for travel to US and other countries so fortunately we have them. And like another poster said - it has meant clear sailing any time we go anywhere - well worth the price to us and ours are only good for 5 years (appearances change drastically over a few years). And yes, when we get off at ports we take them and a major credit card - you never know. But I still agree that this sucks - if things changed there should be some note of it on Carnival websites or when you book at the very least.

I beg to differ - this is only this tip of the iceberg. I don't know how many times I have read: my S&S card was $800-1000-1500-2000, I bought 2-4-6-8 pictures, I booked a Carnival Excursion in every port, I bought 2-4-6-8 Tshirts, I played bingo often, I booked the steakhouse and the list goes on. The cruise price is only a part of what people spend. Believe me, their bottom line still suffered whether people cruised or not.

I agree! We are very conservative & still run up a good tab on the boat (although, never more than we budget for). too many opportunities to spen money on optional items)

So sorry you didn't get to cruise. We only go out of country when cruising and got ours several years ago. They've been saying they were going to start this policy years ago but kept extending the time. I bet it wasn't Carnivals decision. I can't think of any other vacation option where we have felt so welcomed and valued as customers. I'm heartbroken for you - especially on the carnival dream. Heard that was a nice ship.

Canadians have needed passports since 2008 for travel to US and other countries so fortunately we have them. And like another poster said - it has meant clear sailing any time we go anywhere - well worth the price to us and ours are only good for 5 years (appearances change drastically over a few years). And yes, when we get off at ports we take them and a major credit card - you never know. But I still agree that this sucks - if things changed there should be some note of it on Carnival websites or when you book at the very least.

Not true (see enhanced drivers license), but I agree it's the way to go. OP it does suck that it happened.

Not true (see enhanced drivers license), but I agree it's the way to go. OP it does suck that it happened.

Enhanced drivers license is only good if you live, drive and cross at a border such as Windsor/Detroit - Thunder Bay/ Pidgeon River - Fort Frances/International Falls just to name a few. For International flights and US flights we have needed a passport - I hope to heck you are wrong otherwise we have been duped and it would not be the first time. Thanks for bringing this to my attention - you can believe I will look into it.

Archived