Just off the Dream-Horrible cigar smell from room next door

cruisin again

... because Carnival tries their best to keep this their dirty little secret (paying for a balcony doesn't mean you will be able to enjoy it, if you end up next to a heavy smoker for the week).

It's not really a secret Mark. People have gotten trained to smoke outside nowadays. Since that's what "everyone" wanted you should expect it. A balcony qualifies as "outside".

I agree with you. Carnival and Princess are becoming known as the the place to go if you want to smoke in your room and balcony. Where-as Celebrity and RCCL are offering better options for those who don't want to smell smoke, and prefer the smell of fresh sea air when out on their balcony.

I think this thread is very helpful for non-smokers who are considering a balcony on Carnival or Princess... I think its nice to let people know what you might run into... because Carnival tries their best to keep this their dirty little secret (paying for a balcony doesn't mean you will be able to enjoy it, if you end up next to a heavy smoker for the week).

Dirty little secret? You really need to let it go. Other than the smell, it will not hurt you!

Dirty little secret? You really need to let it go. Other than the smell, it will not hurt you!

Umm... not true.

Smokers are always compalining about the "fake" coughs they hear from non-smokers.

Well guess what? In most cases, those coughs are absolutely real and caused by the irritation of cigarette smoke.

Umm... not true.

Smokers are always compalining about the "fake" coughs they hear from non-smokers.

Well guess what? In most cases, those coughs are absolutely real and caused by the irritation of cigarette smoke.

The chemicals in cigarettes really get to me too, and I smoke cigars! :eek:

I too hate the smell of a horrible cigar. That's why I only smoke the good ones.:) The OP could have solved the problem at the first port of call by simply stopping by an LCDH and buying a few real cubans to offer his neighbor. Might I suggest a PSD4, or a H.Upmann. Both of these have great aroma which noone could describle has horrible.

I too hate the smell of a horrible cigar. That's why I only smoke the good ones.:) The OP could have solved the problem at the first port of call by simply stopping by an LCDH and buying a few real cubans to offer his neighbor. Might I suggest a PSD4, or a H.Upmann. Both of these have great aroma which noone could describle has horrible.

Bravo. 2 thumbs up, sir! :)

That would have been a great option to see on my last cruise when we were sitting in the smoking area on the Lido deck and a group {3} of anti-smoking "ladies" sat beside us and almost immediately began the fake cough hand wave thing. That wasn't bad, actually a bit comical albeit annoying, however when in rather loud voices bagan talking rather rudely about us like we couldn't hear them and than making comments that included smoking,trash and hag in the same sentence I asked the wait staff to do something. Security was called however nothing was done oh except it was suggested we move.

No one should be telling you to move if you are smoking in a smoking section. That said, how do you know whether someone is doing a "fake cough?" Seriously, it seems that some smokers refuse to admit that cigarette smoke can EVER induce coughing. It makes me cough sometimes. It's never fake. But I also would never ask someone to quit smoking or move if they are in a smoking designated area.

One thing I can't quite figure out is Carnival not allowing electronic cigs in non-smoking venues. What would be the problem with that and how could anybody complain.

I think the only reason might be that people are not yet familiar with these. I admit I've never seen anyone using them. But after reading the thread about them, I think they are fantastic and should be allowed anywhere.

Umm... not true.

How can that be. Ship moving at 20 knots, smell is all you get at most. No way any smoke enters YOUR body.

But it is a great excuse. Did you know that 2nd hand smoke is a myth equal to or greater than global warming?

No way any smoke enters YOUR body. But it is a great excuse. Did you know that 2nd hand smoke is a myth equal to or greater than global warming?

My last cruise was 6 port days on a 10 day trip. We sat still for 6 days, some days had a light breeze... others didn't.

But I understand, some people don't have a science based education, and their is nothing wrong with not believing in second hand smoke or global warming. But that makes you the exception instead of the norm. And its probably a good thing for you, because as a smoker it would help in the enjoyment of smoking, to not know the chemistry or physiology of what smoke does.

some people don't have a science based education, and i can understand that. As a smoker it would be a good thing, and help in the enjoyment of smoking, to not know the chemistry or physiology of what they are doing.

lmaorof!!!:d:d:d

My last cruise was 6 port days on a 10 day trip. We sat still for 6 days, some days had a light breeze... others didn't.

But I understand, some people don't have a science based education, and their is nothing wrong with not believing in second hand smoke or global warming. But that makes you the exception instead of the norm. And its probably a good thing for you, because as a smoker it would help in the enjoyment of smoking, to not know the chemistry or physiology of what smoke does.

Mark...next cruise take a cigarette, light it up (moving ship or not) on your balcony and you will see the smoke disipates within a couple of feet. The smoke itself is not travelling over onto your balcony. Next experiment, take the cigarette and stand in the doorway of your room going out to the balcony...the smoke goes out of the room and does not pull in. I just did this a couple of weeks ago on the Valor. This is fact!!! There is no way other than seeing your neighbors smoke (and catching a faint whiff while in Port) that you are being affected. You may not like it but you are not being affected physically. Mentally is another thing. You are an anti-smoker so the mere sight sets you into a tailspin. This is why a Spa Cabin or Celebrity maybe a better choice for you to cruise.

P.S. I don't have a science based education. I did this and these were the findings.

This is why a Spa Cabin

Am I correct? that only two ships now have the Spa Cabin? Where are they located? I thought I saw something about the Spa cabins over-looking the swimming pool or something? Anyone have any photos?

The ship I'm taking to Rotan and Belize doesn't have Spa Cabins yet? Just the Dream class ships at this time?

Mark...next cruise take a cigarette, light it up (moving ship or not) on your balcony and you will see the smoke disipates within a couple of feet. The smoke itself is not travelling over onto your balcony. Next experiment, take the cigarette and stand in the doorway of your room going out to the balcony...the smoke goes out of the room and does not pull in. I just did this a couple of weeks ago on the Valor. This is fact!!! There is no way other than seeing your neighbors smoke (and catching a faint whiff while in Port) that you are being affected. You may not like it but you are not being affected physically. Mentally is another thing. You are an anti-smoker so the mere sight sets you into a tailspin. This is why a Spa Cabin or Celebrity maybe a better choice for you to cruise.

P.S. I don't have a science based education. I did this and these were the findings.

Now there is a VERY scientifically conducted study! :rolleyes: lmao

Cheers!

No one should be telling you to move if you are smoking in a smoking section. That said, how do you know whether someone is doing a "fake cough?" Seriously, it seems that some smokers refuse to admit that cigarette smoke can EVER induce coughing. It makes me cough sometimes. It's never fake. But I also would never ask someone to quit smoking or move if they are in a smoking designated area.

When the cough sounds like the one that comes out of most people when the doctor says turn your head and cough than I must say it is fake especially when it is accompanied by the exagerated wave. Please don't take me as some kind of fool and suggest that I don't think that smoke causes some people to cough because I do understand that it does. However things like ....yes....cheap perfume...applied liberally makes me cough unfortunatly there are no cheap perfume zones so I am forced to move on.

I also understand that you find smoking to be unacceptable behavior but I see you didn't make any comment about the rude remarks directed at my wife by people that were non-smokers sitting in a smoking area. I wonder what you would have done if we had sat down and made loud rude remarks about something you were doing or something one of your family members was doing. The point I was trying to make is I have a right to enjoy my vacation as much as someone else does...maybe even more since most of my life I have been defending peoples right to say what they want...without being harrased or my insulted when doing something I enjoy in a totally legal place

I truly hope that the way my wife was treated by those so called ladies never happens to you or a loved one. Enjoy your cruising!!!!!

Cheers!

Try it.Thats what happens.

When the cough sounds like the one that comes out of most people when the doctor says turn your head and cough than I must say it is fake especially when it is accompanied by the exagerated wave. Please don't take me as some kind of fool and suggest that I don't think that smoke causes some people to cough because I do understand that it does. However things like ....yes....cheap perfume...applied liberally makes me cough unfortunatly there are no cheap perfume zones so I am forced to move on.

I also understand that you find smoking to be unacceptable behavior but I see you didn't make any comment about the rude remarks directed at my wife by people that were non-smokers sitting in a smoking area. I wonder what you would have done if we had sat down and made loud rude remarks about something you were doing or something one of your family members was doing. The point I was trying to make is I have a right to enjoy my vacation as much as someone else does...maybe even more since most of my life I have been defending peoples right to say what they want...without being harrased or my insulted when doing something I enjoy in a totally legal place

I truly hope that the way my wife was treated by those so called ladies never happens to you or a loved one. Enjoy your cruising!!!!!

I don't believe smoking is "unacceptable behavior" at all and don't know how you came to that conclusion. It certainly puts the smoker at risk for many health problems, so perhaps I might find it unwise, but not unacceptable behavior at all. And I've posted already that when people are smoking in a designated area, no one has the right to be rude to them, or even politely tell them to move or to stop. The behavior you described was completely out of line.

mark...next cruise take a cigarette, light it up (moving ship or not) on your balcony and you will see the smoke disipates within a couple of feet. The smoke itself is not travelling over onto your balcony. Next experiment, take the cigarette and stand in the doorway of your room going out to the balcony...the smoke goes out of the room and does not pull in. I just did this a couple of weeks ago on the valor. This is fact!!! There is no way other than seeing your neighbors smoke (and catching a faint whiff while in port) that you are being affected. You may not like it but you are not being affected physically. Mentally is another thing. You are an anti-smoker so the mere sight sets you into a tailspin. This is why a spa cabin or celebrity maybe a better choice for you to cruise.

P.s. I don't have a science based education. I did this and these were the findings.

lmao!

lmao!

Everytime I read how people stuff towels under their doorways, complain about smoke pouring under their balcony dividers, smoke coming into their room from the balcony below or above them, the couple who was woken up by cigar smoke pouring into their room while they were sleeping, smoke coming through the walls, etc. I LMAO (pathetic)!

Berwyn - Don't need to. I have been a research scientist for a number of years and it is sad that you need to be informed that Chris41's method in no way provides credible data. There are too many variables to list that can change the outcome of the "experiment" as well as the error of some of the assumptions regarding smoke and diffusion of the non-visible chemicals present. The only thing that would be factual about the "experiment" is that he stood out on the balcony and smoked a cigarette. His "PS" is obvious. Good try but no cigar!

With regard to how Chris41's wife was treated I have to empathize with his wife. She deserves an apology. The behavior of the other women (I won't say ladies since their behavior is not consistant with the term) was inexcusible. She had every right to enjoy her vacation and smoke in that area without being verbally molested. If anything his wife's actions should be appreciated and commended for being considerate of others. Shame on those women. They need to learn to be more considerate of other folks but it appears that they failed to learn their manners when they were growing up.

Cheers!

I have been a research scientist for a number of years

QUOTE]

LMAO! What happens to the smoke when you blow out a candle in your home or out on your porch? It dissipates just as cigarette smoke does. How far does the smoke travel before it does that? Not enough to billow into someone's room or under a balcony divider, etc. Depending on wind, temp, etc. (as the case of being outdoors) it may vary but it's within a few feet at best.

Don't need to be a "Rocket Scientist" to know this and it definitely doesn't need a whole lot of research! Just blow out that candle or watch the smoke from a cigarette and it's obvious how far it travels before it dissipates....within a few feet!

Someone said, Did you know that 2nd hand smoke is a myth equal to or greater than global warming? "****************************************************

Idiotic statement! A statement by an ignorant person who will justify their behavior to make themselves feel better. Second hand smoke kills. The smoke on a balcony does not dissipate to where it does not effect someone inhaling it. Your sophmoric scientific experiments are insane!

Smokers say, "oh, if you don't like it book a cabin at the front of the ship. " Why should I give up a premium balcony location aft so that I don't have to inhale smoke? Aft has the best balconies and why should someone who has no regard to other people, be allowed a premium cabin? Screw you!

What about the smoke coming from the whale tail.

Archived