Just off the Dream-Horrible cigar smell from room next door

cruisin again

We just returned from the 9/11 Dream cruise. We really enjoyed our cruise, but from day

one the guest next door smoked a cigar in their room every day. I had a really hard time

with this. Guest Services tried to freshen, but claims they could not tell them not to

smoke in their room.

We just returned from the 9/11 Dream cruise. We really enjoyed our cruise, but from day

one the guest next door smoked a cigar in their room every day. I had a really hard time

with this. Guest Services tried to freshen, but claims they could not tell them not to

smoke in their room.

So other than that, how was your cruise?

smoke in their room.

I love a good cigar in the morning. You should have joined them!

This was our 9th cruise with Carnival. We thought that Butch was our favorite cruise

director to date. The food and service was fantastic. We loved the ship. We had

a cove balcony which was great. I love the fact that the pools had warm water this time

and the serenity area was great. We did Cable Beach in Nassau, Orient Beach in St.

Maarten, and Secret Harbor in St. Thomas. All Were beautiful!!!

This can be an issue for folks - cruising and cigarette/cigar smoke. It's bad enough when you run into in the bar(s) and such, but you can pick and choose places to go. When you have it impacting your cabin that sucks.

Honestly...we've sailed on several lines (Carnival/RCCL/Princess) and my wife is very resistent to going back on Carnival for this very reason. She can't stand the smell of cigarette/cigar smoke and it was brutal on our Inspiration cruise.

We've had little to no issues on RCCL or Princess. Maybe we've just been lucky...I don't know.

This can be an issue for folks - cruising and cigarette/cigar smoke. It's bad enough when you run into in the bar(s) and such, but you can pick and choose places to go. When you have it impacting your cabin that sucks.

Honestly...we've sailed on several lines (Carnival/RCCL/Princess) and my wife is very resistent to going back on Carnival for this very reason. She can't stand the smell of cigarette/cigar smoke and it was brutal on our Inspiration cruise.

We've not little to no issues on RCCL or Princess. Maybe we've just been lucky...I don't know.

I can live with cigarette smoke, but cigar smoke gives me an instant headache. We

would leave the cabin if we needed.

Yep... that's the case. Smoking is allowed in the cabins with the exception of the Spa Cabins.

Perhaps you should have politely asked if he could smoke his cigar elsewhere as it was a problem for you.

:)

thats the reason why we always book a Spa cabin! Only room we can be guarenteed there is no smoking around us!

The people 2 or 3 doors down from us last week were smoking something, but it wasn't cigars or cigarettes. You could smell it in the hallway and their door opened right as I was walking by and then I could REALLY smell it.

Let's just say the guy that walked out looked VERY relaxed.

The people 2 or 3 doors down from us last week were smoking something, but it wasn't cigars or cigarettes. You could smell it in the hallway and their door opened right as I was walking by and then I could REALLY smell it.

Let's just say the guy that walked out looked VERY relaxed.

I guess he smoked a bowl of relaxer as we used to call it many moons ago.

Smokers are the main reason we don't book balconies anymore. I got tired of paying more to smell cigarette smoke at all hours of the day and night. Thought I read somewhere that one of the cruiselines made the cabins & balconies on one side of the ship non-smoking.

We've had little to no issues on RCCL or Princess. Maybe we've just been lucky...I don't know.

You HAVE been lucky, at least on Princess. My mom and aunt had to keep their balcony door closed on the Ruby due to smokers next door and the smoke coming into their cabin.

Smokers are the main reason we don't book balconies anymore. I got tired of paying more to smell cigarette smoke at all hours of the day and night. Thought I read somewhere that one of the cruiselines made the cabins & balconies on one side of the ship non-smoking.

You may have read it, but thats not true.

Sadly no... on Carnival the only nonsmoking cabins are the Spa cabins on the Dream and Splendor (and soon to be Magic)....

what Carnival DOES do is restrict smoking to one side of the ship on outdoor areas....smoking is allowed on the Starboard side on all ships EXCEPT the Dream (it is on the port side of that ship)...

so if you are booking a Spa balcony cabin on the Splendor...get it on the PORT side...if you are booking a Spa balcony cabin on the Dream...get it on the Starboard side...to prevent smoke from outdoor areas affecting your balcony.

How in the world did we all survive days gone by when nearly EVERYONE smoked, and smoked nearly EVERYWHERE... hosptial rooms, grocery stores, stadiums, hotels, business offices, you name it. I know that's not the way of the world any longer, but smoking is allowed in cabins & balconies on most Carnival ships, so I guess we all just need to suck it up (pardon the pun) & deal with it. :D

How in the world did we all survive days gone by when nearly EVERYONE smoked, and smoked nearly EVERYWHERE... hosptial rooms, grocery stores, stadiums, hotels, business offices, you name it. I know that's not the way of the world any longer, but smoking is allowed in cabins & balconies on most Carnival ships, so I guess we all just need to suck it up (pardon the pun) & deal with it. :D

Sadly, many people have not survived from smoke/smoking habits . :rolleyes::(

OP, did you have a connecting stateroom? We have been in your situation when a cigarette smoker was next door in a connecting room, but so far (knock on wood) we have not encountered smoke coming into our stateroom when the room is completely sealed from next door. Now, balconies are another story. :mad:

smoke in their room.

my only piece of advice is to book a spa room next time...

my husband smokes and I knew that if we booked a regular room he would eventually figure out that he could smoke in it...so I booked a spa room. I'm tricksy like that ;)

(plus we are the type who will take advantage of the spa room benefits, but also, what he doesn't know won't hurt him...haha)

Learned something new today. :o I thought you could only smoke on the balconies of the cabins and designated areas of the ships Did not know you could smoke in the cabin. Apparently we have never had neighbors that smoked in their cabins.

Same here.....smoking in cabins!! Hopefully we will have non-smoking neighbors.

I am a cigar smoker. Possibly one every day or so. Certainly one after a nice delicious meal. However, I am also aware of the fact that many people do not appreciate second hand smoke.

If I light up, I always try and make sure there is no one around to offend and certainly would never smoke in the cabin, but have smoked on the balcony. I never smoke if anyone is on the surrounding balconies.

Usually, I wind up taking most of my cigars home with me because I won't light up if I think the remote chance of bothering someone exists.

I am looking forward to the Cigar Bar on the Dream and will make use of it as my cigar smoking haven.

I will say two things though - it seems the cheap cigars stink more (my non-smoking wife's opinion) and cigars are pure tobacco vs. cigarettes which contain fillers, etc...so while neither are healthy options, at least the cigar does not put chemicals in the air.

Just because it is NOW allowed doesn't mean it will be allowed in the future

Carnival realizes which way the "wind" is blowing..and it is blowing smoke free many places due to more and more restrictions

I see that New York has some tougher new laws coming out

and so many places have tough anti smoking laws and restrictions

NO ...we won't see a "smoke free" ship like Paradise, BUT we can hope and achieve stronger anti smoking rules on ships ...

non smokers are the vast majority...write Carnival..post on John Heald's "blog"..let your thoughts be heard

My guess is that pretty soon we will see more "spa" cabins added to the other ships, less places for smokers

It's simply a "logical" progression

and sad news stories like that of Michael Douglas only reinforce the sad facts

I think that back-in-the-day we were acclimated to the smoke. At least I know I was. My mother smoked and there was a hazy in her room from it but I really didn't notice it until I moved out and lived and worked in a non-smoking enviornment. Now I'm very sensitive to cigarette smoke and try to stay away from it. My throat burns and I get congested and with too much exposure I end up with bronchitis.

Just because it is NOW allowed doesn't mean it will be allowed in the future Mark my words it will never go away.

Carnival realizes which way the "wind" is blowing..and it is blowing smoke free many places due to more and more restrictions Carnival loves the smokers.

I see that New York has some tougher new laws coming out

and so many places have tough anti smoking laws and restrictionsWhat do you expect from a radical like Bloomburg?

NO ...we won't see a "smoke free" ship like Paradise, BUT we can hope and achieve stronger anti smoking rules on ships ...Why do your needs outweigh mine?

non smokers are the vast majority...write Carnival..post on John Heald's "blog"..let your thoughts be heard..Did you miss somewhere that John Heald is an avid Cigar Smoker?

My guess is that pretty soon we will see more "spa" cabins added to the other ships, less places for smokers

It's simply a "logical" progression

and sad news stories like that of Michael Douglas only reinforce the sad facts

Not sad at all, he chose to live as he pleased. Dont write him off yet.

Archived