Using Electric Cigarettes On Board

14 Days or Longer

We were on a recent cruise in a balcony cabin and when I stepped outside I saw a woman smoking. I couldn't smell the smoke but I reminded her that smoking was not allowed in the ship's cabins. She flashed a card that she belonged to the "Green Smoke Club". Does Celebrity allow these things? We

are a bit confused about the whole issue . Should we have complained?

I wouldn't see any issue with them. They are really nothing more than a nicotine delivery device that is shaped like a cigarette and the only thing that is exhaled is water vapor, not smoke. They are entirely scentless and I don't see how they could bother anybody. (And no I don't use one, and no I'm not a smoker).

I would not have complained.

I have never smoked and I am quite anti-smoking.

My partner smokes (although never indoors) and he purchased one of these which I find are no problem at all-they give off a scented (sweet) vapour which looks just like steam and immediately evaporates.

I have no issue with him using this even whilst sitting next to me indoors-and as I mentioned, I am not the most tolerant person when it comes to smoking.

When I googled e-cigs it stated they have nicotine which is delivered via vaporized water (steam).

I would have an issue, because I'm not addicted to nicotine. So I shouldn't have to breathe it in. I have no issue with anyone smoking as long as it's (if cruising, on the allowed deck) in their own personal space.

What if someone were pregnant? Has an allergy? I would think it would be an issue, even if it doesn't smell.

I believe they would be allowed since there are no open flames and that's why cigarettes are banned. Due to (primarily) the fire hazard, and secondarily for heath reasons and passenger comfort, I assume.

If one is concerned about nicotine in the air, then by all means steer clear of ANY place where someone is smoking. If the e-cigs emit any, I'm sure it's in very minute amounts. Highly doubt it will affect you in any way.

And if it's a matter of allergies or being pregnant (been there, done that -twice), and it's that big of an issue, then maybe a totally different vacation environment should be considered. As you will be spending a week or two with the general public on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean.

I am not a smoker, never have been. But I also believe that smokers should be able to exercise their habit where allowed. I will choose to detour around the designated areas if I find it bothers me. I have a very bad sensitivity to smoke, so try to avoid those places anyway.

If Celebrity deems that e-cigs are OK, then I have no problem with it. Light up or flick the power switch or whatever it is. I do think that they should put out a policy so that it is clear, though. And I mean clear, not like the jeans in the dining room rules *Aye Yi Yi* !

We were on a recent cruise in a balcony cabin and when I stepped outside I saw a woman smoking. I couldn't smell the smoke but I reminded her that smoking was not allowed in the ship's cabins. She flashed a card that she belonged to the "Green Smoke Club". Does Celebrity allow these things? We

are a bit confused about the whole issue . Should we have complained?

WHY???:confused:

I don't see how I should change my vacation experience because someone else is addicted to a substance. How much sense does that make?

No one has the right to subject others to a drug without their consent. Don't smoke in public places...shouldn't be difficult.

Regardless, plain science would dictate that a person would not be able to inhale and filter 100% of the nicotine that's delivered via the e-cig. They would have to exhale a fair sized percentage of it.

Just because someone has found a "better" method of delivering their drug of choice, doesn't mean it's proper to do it where it would disrupt others. And to tell someone "It's such a small amount, it probably won't hurt your baby" is beyond ignorant to me.

I'm a huge fan of small government...it's your body and the right to damage it any way your want. Smoke, Drink..do drugs...I'll happily protect your right to damage yourself. But no one should have control over the air other people breathe.

I don't see how I should change my vacation experience because someone else is addicted to a substance. How much sense does that make?

No one has the right to subject others to a drug without their consent. Don't smoke in public places...shouldn't be difficult.

Regardless, plain science would dictate that a person would not be able to inhale and filter 100% of the nicotine that's delivered via the e-cig. They would have to exhale a fair sized percentage of it.

Just because someone has found a "better" method of delivering their drug of choice, doesn't mean it's proper to do it where it would disrupt others. And to tell someone "It's such a small amount, it probably won't hurt your baby" is beyond ignorant to me.

I'm a huge fan of small government...it's your body and the right to damage it any way your want. Smoke, Drink..do drugs...I'll happily protect your right to damage yourself. But no one should have control over the air other people breathe.

I guess you don't drink and if you do I should complain:rolleyes:. I would be in favor of someone using a e-cig's vs. someone smoking where they shouldn't be. There is no science to date that shows any harm from the water vapor from e-cigs and the cruise lines have no rules prohibiting them.

Until that time I can't see why anyone should have a complaint:rolleyes:.

When you drink, you aren't putting alcohol into someone else's body who's standing next to you while you imbibe.

I was thinking about using that as an illustration, but I guess I thought it pretty obvious?

There's a third-party smoking law that's up for vote that involves e-cigs and their chemical contents. The FDA tried to ban them as dangerous. I know the websites that SELL the things claim there is no second hand smoke. Well, obviously. But there's no studies on them, and it's just common sense and common decency to me to not subject someone else to the drug.

In what way were you subjected to this smoke? Where was the woman smoking? If on her balcony, you are worried that the small amount of nicotine in some water vapor might reach your balcony???? If so, sounds like you better avoid the whole ship. Some of that port side smoke just might waft over to starboard, then again,maybe you are a little "overboard"!

I can understand complaining about cigarette smoke, (even though if outside it doesn't bother me), but e-cigs? Outside on the balcony? I'm assuming they are an aid to stop smoking, so I would encourage them for people...if that is even what they are. Everyone does things that "annoy" other people and some people even see a cigarette, lit or not, and go off. As far as the air we breathe, the building I work in was built in the 1800's and I've worked there 20 yrs. Guess what? I've been breathing mold. Who knew? Anything to improve someones health, and they can't be worse than cigarettes, I'm all for.

If you didn't smell anything, how did it bother you???

Some people just like to complain about what other people do. What's funny is that many of those people wear too much perfume and choke passers by as they waft down the deck while others may not have tried their shower in a few days and had the same effect on people. Or they have their own bad habits that others have to deal with.

Were cruising soon, because of ships policy on smoking, and past message board. I ordered e-cigs this am. Now you have got to be kidding, what about the chemicals they use to clean, the exhaust from the ship, the cars you ride in? I guess if someone is that concerned they might want to invest in a bubble and move in it.

Archived