Cabin on the 'hump'

misprint

If you were going for a cabin on the hump with the larger balcony on Eclipse would you go for one on the front so you can see where you are going, or one on the rear of the hump to be more shaded for breeze.:confused:

Personally, . . . I haven't sailed an S-Class yet, so don't really know first hand.

That said, on our Eclipse cruise, we have 9237 - the very furthest out facing aft. From here, I should be able to look around the barrier if I want to see where we are going, will always be able to see where we have been. . . and still have a good wind break for every day use.

It was a choice of this one, or some looking forward further in. We choose this simply under the impression it would likely be less windy. Without any first hand knowledge, all we could think of is all the times we have gone forward on the open decks and the majority of the time when sailing it is usually windy.

Frankly, . . . we're just happy to have the extra large balcony. :D

We had a rear-facing hump balcony last year on Solstice. We chose it to prevent wind, but I was concerned that I wouldn't like facing backwards. As it turns out, it didn't feel like we were facing backwards at all. The angle is pretty minimal and felt like we were just facing out... though we could easily see all the other balconies is we leaned a little bit off ours.

I have pictures of the hump balcony on my blog (link below).

We had a rear-facing hump balcony on Eclipse in May. It was pretty windy on the first couple of days heading from Southampton to Funchal; I opened the balcony door on a sea day and the cabin door popped open (must have had it on the latch). However, it was great in port and once we got further south. If you are like me, and like to keep out of the sun sometimes, it was much easier to find a bit of shade at any time of the day (plenty of sunny spots too). We loved it, and have managed to get the same cabin again next July.

We've had verandah's in front and behind the hump and loved both. The balconies are sooo deep and there is shade to the back and sun to the front. Love them. Wind is only an issue if it is a very windy day and then one can sit back near the doors and experience little wind. This is why we like 1As and CC2s

Hush everybody...do not keep telling everyone what great cabins the 1A humps are...it's getting more and more difficult to get them. ;):D

Exactly why many book early - to get just the cabin they want.

Wonder if this will change now with the new price reduction policy.

At any rate, when we booked the Silhouette 11/6/11 cruise (booked the day bookings opened in April, 2010) we chose a forward facing angled cabin on the hump.

You are so right about being hush-hush about the hump cabins.

I think I'll start a thread about things X cruisers should keep to themselves lesst they get too popular.

Exactly why many book early - to get just the cabin they want.

Wonder if this will change now with the new price reduction policy..........

I haven't heard anything about a new price reduction policy....can you give me a few outline details. ?

We just booked our first Celebrity cruise on Eclipse. I booked a concierge class hump. Will we really notice a difference in balcony side. And will the wind really be an issue?:)

Depending on which hump balcony you are in the size difference could be dramatic. We were in 9209 which is among the group with the largest hump balcony and the sq footage is approximtely 2.25 times the size of a typical balcony (estimate, but I'm sure someone knows the exact sq footage). Here's a picture of that balcony.

Balconycabin9209.jpg?t=1286125266

We sailed the inaugural of the Eclipse in a forward facing hump, it was amazing. Our bed was not next to the balcony, the sofa was so we have a very large amount of space. Only problem was it makes getting in the wardrobe a challenge when the bed is next to it. We were a guarantee and got upgraded - how lucky were we.

We have booked the same cabin for the baltics next July. Looking forward to all that space on the balcony especially going through the Archipeligos.

I think the cabin is 7260

If you were going for a cabin on the hump with the larger balcony on Eclipse would you go for one on the front so you can see where you are going, or one on the rear of the hump to be more shaded for breeze.:confused:

I have booked a forward facing hump cabin on Solstice for the 11/6/11 Eastern Caribbean cruise. I did a little research on CC before I booked it and it was said that it wasn't too windy and has the bigger balcony. I had a forward hump on the Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas in April and it was fine -- not too windy. I really liked having the additional bit of view. I think a rear balcony would probably be a bit calmer, windwise, and will also have an interesting view.:)

Depending on which hump balcony you are in the size difference could be dramatic. We were in 9209 which is among the group with the largest hump balcony and the sq footage is approximtely 2.25 times the size of a typical balcony (estimate, but I'm sure someone knows the exact sq footage). Here's a picture of that balcony.

Balconycabin9209.jpg?t=1286125266

Did you get half sun and half shade on your balcony , or was there a large overhang? Could you look up and see the stars at night?

Any noise issues from the card room nearby?

Thanks .

Did you get half sun and half shade on your balcony , or was there a large overhang? Could you look up and see the stars at night?

Any noise issues from the card room nearby?

Thanks .

There was a large overhang, and if you sat all the way back it would be hard to get sun. However, the amount of sun you could get was largely dependant on what time of day it was and where the sun was relative to your location. In general it's no problem. Same goes for looking at the stars. As far as the card room goes, there's a nice glass divider that opens and closes as you enter the hallway. It is very effective at localizing any noise coming from the card room. We loved this location, and would stay in that location again in a second!

There was a large overhang, and if you sat all the way back it would be hard to get sun. However, the amount of sun you could get was largely dependant on what time of day it was and where the sun was relative to your location. In general it's no problem. Same goes for looking at the stars. As far as the card room goes, there's a nice glass divider that opens and closes as you enter the hallway. It is very effective at localizing any noise coming from the card room. We loved this location, and would stay in that location again in a second!

Thanks for the information!

Please pardon my inexperience about "hump cabins". Do all cabins on the "hump" have larger balconies, or just the ones slanting forward or backward?

I currently have a sunset verandah reservation on the Silhouette on 11/30/11, but all of this discussion about the merits of hump cabins has me reassessing.

In order of balcony size and desirability which would be the best locations, I'm

assuming the cabin numbers are the same as the Solstice, or similar. I apologize if this question has been asked in a different form. I'm relying on

some of you more experienced cruisers for valuable advise on the merits of this cabin class versus the sunset verandah on the Vista deck. Thanks

Please pardon my inexperience about "hump cabins". Do all cabins on the "hump" have larger balconies, or just the ones slanting forward or backward?

I currently have a sunset verandah reservation on the Silhouette on 11/30/11, but all of this discussion about the merits of hump cabins has me reassessing.

In order of balcony size and desirability which would be the best locations, I'm

assuming the cabin numbers are the same as the Solstice, or similar. I apologize if this question has been asked in a different form. I'm relying on

some of you more experienced cruisers for valuable advise on the merits of this cabin class versus the sunset verandah on the Vista deck. Thanks

Yes, only the angled cabins on the hump have the larger balconies. Of those, working from the hump outward - the 1st and 3rd angled cabins have a larger balcony than the 2nd and 4th angled cabin, . . . and those are larger than the standard balcony. This is why most of these angled cabins have the 1A classification or higher (even a few on deck 6 with the 2C/2D cabins are 1A) - they are highly desired.

You might be aware of this - but, the SV cabin balconies vary in size. There is a picture that shows the relative size for each cabin - so you might want to look at the link below. Some other comments we found about the SV on the S-Class, . . . the balcony have very little overhang - so you are fully exposed (to the sun and/or rain) and also to other passengers above at the cafe railing. There are pictures on this site that shows the overhang as well - search on Solstice SV Pictures and you should find them. Finally, there are no Aft stairs or elevators, so you need to use the ones mid-ship.

Solstice Aft (SV) Cabin Info

Some of this may or may not be a concern for you - but is something to consider. We were looking at SV originally on the Eclipse, love sitting outside watching the wake, . . . but then switched to a 1A after more research. We were mostly concerned with the lack of cover over the balcony and thought it might limit our use on sunny/rainy days at sea. The walk and exposure above was of little concern to us.

Enjoy!

Archived