Space Bags

Ok I admit it- I'm an overpacker...and I'm ok with it. I have decided that I might use those space bags that you vacuum the air out of to make sure everything fits into my suitcase. My question is do the ships have vacuum cleaners on board that I might convince someone to let me borrow to suck the air out to pack to come home?

Has anyone used these or tried this when packing for a cruise? I have used the bags before to store all our camper bedding for the winter and they work fabulously, so I thought it might be a good idea to use to pack for our cruise.

Yes, the housekeeping department uses vacuum cleaners. I would ask my cabin attendant a day or so before you pack if you could use one. One thing to remember....the more you put into one of those bags, the heavier it gets. It can be deceiving...I've been "sucked in" (pardon the pun!) to loading the thing up and although it may look like a small package it was be REALLY heavy. If you are flying to your port, keep this in mind!

I use the travel space bags myself. When I'm packing at home it's super easy to vaccuum the air out, but the neat thing is that on the ship, you can put all your clothes in them and then roll them up to get rid of the air...no having to track down a vaccuum:D They do work great, but you do have to watch your weight - it can be very easy to go over weight using them:o

When have needed a vacuum for our space bags..our cabin steward has brought one to our cabin for our use on the last night..When we're done we were told to just leave it out in the hallway....Careful those bags can get very heavy..I've stopped using them because of this...Good luck !!!

We used travel space bags successfully on a cruise earlier this year. They work OK but half of them did not survive for the return trip. You may want to pack a spare if that is the only way you can fit everything!

When flying we always weigh our checked bags at home to keep under the 50 lb. weight limit. Not so easy when flying back since there are no scales available on board. We put that in our last survey - it would be nice if you could borrow one.

If you fill the typical 28 - 30 inch Pullman suitcase even without space bags they will weigh over 50 lbs. Not much point to using space bags for a large suitcase when flying. Instead I use space bags in my 21 inch carry on bag since those are typically not weighed (although airlines are beginning to publish weight limits on carry on luggage too).

Best thing we have is a travel scale... never fly without it....;):D

Yes, we have one too. Never fly without it either!!!

Ours is the older type with the hook and weight dial but they now have digital ones!:D Comes with a measuring tape attached, and only about $10!

Where is a good place to buy travel scales?

I've seen them at Wal-Mart, Target and Staples in the travel accessories section. They're not too expensive and small enough to pack so you can weigh your bags before you come home.

I took two space saver bags on a recent trip...dirty laundry went in one, and the clean clothes I didn't wear stayed in the other. Best idea ever! I agree with the other person who said to use it for any alcohol. A friend's expensive bottle of liquor broke in her suitcase on our return trip and spilled all over her clothes. I won't travel without them!

Is the clothing all wrinkled up once you open the bags up? I'm considering packing my stuff in a carryon bag, so this may help me out some.

When packing to go on the cruise, I fold/press as necessary and then place in the bag and seal. When you unpack them I have had little to no problem with wrinkles (what wrinkles occurred came out easily w/Downy wrinkle release);) Coming back the clothes are mostly dirty so who cares if they're wrinkled? :p

I usually use the larger Zip Lock bags. I think the largest are 2 1/2 gallon. They work just as good as the space bags and you don't need a vacuum cleaner.

I did buy some American Tourister travel space bags recently at K-Mart. I couldn't resist a set of 4 bags on clearance for $1.50.

I usually use the larger Zip Lock bags. I think the largest are 2 1/2 gallon. They work just as good as the space bags and you don't need a vacuum cleaner.

That's what I use too. Works great for me.:)

I use 2 1/2 gallon zip locks, as well as space bags to hold clothing. I like using the large squeeze-out-the-air space bags for my clothes, and the extra large vaccuum type for my DH things. The reason for the variation: it's easier to pack shoes between smaller bags rather than the large hard packed type. Guess who takes more shoes? LOL. Zip lock bags are used for all other items.

Also, after a TSA check my stuff was not left in a heap!!

I take my king-size pillow with me on cruises since we usually do 12-14 night cruises. I use the space bags to make my pillow really flat so it does not take up hardly any room. I have had good luck with using the cabin steward's vacuum to suck the air out of the bag...even on the morning of debarkation (we usually carry off our own bags).

Archived