When to Arrive for mid-Dec. cruise

Ellen Dio

Where I live boarding our dog for a week is more like $200 - 325 - kinda close to what we're paying for the cruise!

Before our dog passed away, we spent enough on pet care to buy them all passage in an inside cabin :) Our upcoming Feb cruise will be the first time we've not had to pay for her boarding since we started travelling again.

I love the analysis of costs vs. peace of mind thank you all again - Just to help it so I don't sound so ridiculously cheap - Where I live boarding our dog for a week is more like $200 - 325 - kinda close to what we're paying for the cruise! I've cruised a few times before - usually out of Puerto Rico and I've always gone down the day before which seems plenty safe - I can't see in early December going down 2 or 3 days ahead of time - besides I'm not looking to vacation in Florida. I do have a friend in Hollywood so we'll go down the day before and see her - You have all convinced me that the sinking feeling I had that I'd be taking another day of vacation and spending a couple hundred dollars more than I'd been figuring when I was planning on arriving early the day of the cruise was right - thanks again.

Ellen:

Not to worry, you didn't sound "cheap." You sounded as though you are concerned about your companion animal.

My $40 was for one day, btw :)

FWIW, here's my take on the situation:

1) One more day is not going to make any difference to your dog. I say this as someone who as always had a home full of animals (cats and dogs) -- our own plus fosters -- many of which where sick or injured which why they were with us. It is VERY unlikely that a dog will be content being boarded for 7 days but not 8 (or 9 vs 10 or....)

2) Flying down the day of the cruise will usually work out just fine.

3) I never fly down the day of the cruise because I would obsessively worry about being delayed and missing the ship. I also worry about luggage being misrouted. This worry is more neurosis than reality, but it does not change how I feel.

I think your idea of going down early and visiting your friend makes a lot of sense, but the bottom line is what you think and feel. My neurosis is MY problem.:)

Ellen:

I think your idea of going down early and visiting your friend makes a lot of sense, but the bottom line is what you think and feel. My neurosis is MY problem.:)

and my problem too ... I finally brought up the topic with my husband who knows what I'm like when traveling and he said "you're kidding about going down the day of right?" lol so I guess I was just delusional.

and my problem too ... I finally brought up the topic with my husband who knows what I'm like when traveling and he said "you're kidding about going down the day of right?" lol so I guess I was just delusional.

Well, if you do fly down the day of the cruise and miss the departure I guess you could say" "I told you so, I told you so!" (Or more like: Well, that's what they warned me about on Cruise Critic, they must know what they are talking about") :D

Ellen - I'm glad you're swaying toward taking a flight the day before your cruise leaves. Beyond weather issues, there can be so many other problems that delay flights. If you're not taking the first flight of the day, your plane will be coming from somewhere else and there could be all sorts of things that might delay its arrival to pick you up. I can't count all of flight delays I've experienced due to "mechanical" problems.

Making sure you arrive on time for a cruise departure is completely different than arriving for any other type of vacation. When you go on a land-based vacation, it's inconvenient to arrive very late at your hotel, but the hotel will still be there no matter what time you arrive. :) There will also be another connecting flight or train, if that's part of a land-based trip. The ship will not wait for you and you'll incur more costs with hotel stays, meals and airline tickets to catch up with your ship. I'm sure those extra costs would blow the heck out of an extra night of boarding your pet.

Now we get to peace of mind when starting your vacation. As said before, it's priceless. ;)

I was hit by a tornado the day before I was to leave on a cruise and had to deal with getting a downed tree off my house....thank God that was the only damage I sustained. Then that night I was hit in the face with some major family problems that weren't resolved before I left the next morning and those weighed heavily on my mind the entire cruise. In the end, staying at home wouldn't have made a difference anyway so continuing on the cruise was the right decision. The cruise forced me to relax, have fun and get my mind off the problems back home while enjoying the excursions and ship life.

I understand the uneasy feelings you're having about leaving your dog, but I'll bet if you exercise some of the great advice you've been given, he'll do just fine.

Now, it's time to stop stressing and start getting excited about this wonderful cruise ahead of you. That fresh ocean air and being surrounded by happy relaxed people will do wonders for your psyche.

Smooth sailing and travel wishes for you!

I work for a regional airline and always tell people leave a day early.

I would rather pay for a hotel room and not have the stress and worry on arriving in time for the ship.

There is so much that can happen to delay or cancel a flight. For example at my job yesterday, a maintenance delay cause a wait for another plane to arrive to fly that leg and the remaining of the day was catch up. We also had a flight cancel due to damage when leaving the gate. Most of the time things can go smooth but it can also go wrong.

I know people who missed cruises because they flew in the same day. One of my co-worker's daughter missed her cruise because the VP was flying into her departing airport and they had to wait for open space to fly. By the time they arrived in Miami, it was 4:30 p.m.. They then had to fly to the second port to catch the ship (the flights to the first port were overbooked) and they lost over half the cruise.

As for your dog, I also have a four leg baby! My Max is 17 years old and don't care for the young pups at the kennel. I send him for one night a week two weeks prior so he can get ready. I'm lucky that on my upcoming cruise that my parents are going to keep him. But I will leave enough money for at least a week of boarding stay.

I can understand about boarding expense. When the old house sold before the new house was complete, I had to place both my dogs (my other dog has passed) in boarding for three months. I would go and get them on my days off for a couple hours to spend time with them. I spent more on their boarding than on my apartment!

Also send something with your scent along. Do your dog have a fave toy? A certain food or treats? Send that also to help.

You've gotten good advice from everyone about both arriving at least the day ahead, as well as dealing with your animals. Last year a colleague and her family missed their cruise out of Florida because they didn't want to come in early...started blaming the airlines but we all know weather happens. Even this summer my flight was canceled and I was to be rebooked the following day so never assume it won't happen to you.

You're going to have a wonderful cruise now that you've made some good decisions regarding arriving early! Bon voyage!

Ellen I feel for you about your fur baby. Here in Calgary it is very expensive at the kennel and we simply can't enjoy our vacation with her in there. We would if we had to though. We fly my mom up (hour flight) to babysit the dog and house and it is about the same price and is so comforting! It is good for your little one to get used to going and coming back...they get a sense of independence and confidence!

You are all great and thank you so much. I was originally less concerned about the day of because it would be the first flight out and we'd arrive before noon - I guess if there was a big snow storm expected I could switch flights or get in the car and start driving LOL but now I'm on to which hotel in Ft. Lauderdale should I book so - thanks gang - the dog issue is still unresolved but we are working on it - she will have to deal - after all she spent the first year of her life pretty much on the streets so I think she can survive us being away for 8 days.

Our dog is one of the reasons I often cruise solo.....can't bear to put him in a kennel alone, since we lost our other companion last year. (plus dh not too crazy about cruising, so it works;))

As much of a pain as it can be.....you will always have done the right thing:) in giving a 'rescue' a home. They are totally worth it....thanks for making that choice!

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Just have to add my two cents worth.

I am also casting a day before vote not only for all of the above reasons but I always enjoy the buzz at the hotel the morning of the cruise. Everyone is talking about what ship they are taking and where they are going. I enjoy sitting in the lobby and listening to them call out what vans are getting ready to depart.

We are blessed, my parents live nearby and our dog stays with them. They take such good care of her when we are gone that she usually fasts for a couple of days because we do not add broth to her dry dog food. She is probably counting down the days until we leave again.:rolleyes:

While I agree that flying down a day or three early is the best way to go, I can not agree with your analysis.

Of course, it costs extra money. Consider it cheap insurance. Would you rather be booking a flight to the first port?

Archived