Hyatt Place North, Fort Lauderdale

Calebo

Is there any update to the * bedbug* post of early October? Has anyone stayed there since. I would like to know thier opinions as we have been booked there for Feb 2011.

We were there twice in early Oct, 2 rooms and never heard about or saw bed bugs. :D

Before I started bidding on Priceline I did a long search on this issue, including 'registries' with lists of problem hotels. I could not find any cause for concern. It is shocking how one review on trip advisor can set off a chain reaction. Anyway, I am confident about staying there next February.

After talking to someone this morning, which what she said made alot of sense. There is a lot of places with bedbugs in Florida and other centers right now. So even if they did have a case of them, they know about it and have dealt with it. So even the most expensive hotels can be inflicted with ** the hitchhiker bug** .

Here is the General Manager's response to the bed bugs on tripadvisor:

Management response from

HyattFll, General Manager

Dear Guest, At the Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale Airport North we take pride of having a very efficient program for bedbug detection, and we are happy to state that we have not had any infestation of any sort. It is in our best interest to react quickly if a complaint about bugs arises, we switch the guest to another room...

I called there and inquired and had left a message for the head of housekeeping. Within about half an hour, the GM called me back to discuss the matter. He assured me that bed bugs were not an issue at the hotel nor had they been.

Prior to posting his response on cruise critic, I did let him know that I would be posting both his response and his name on this site and he didn't seem to have a problem with that.

Here is the General Manager's response to the bed bugs on tripadvisor:

Management response from

HyattFll, General Manager

Dear Guest, At the Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale Airport North we take pride of having a very efficient program for bedbug detection, and we are happy to state that we have not had any infestation of any sort. It is in our best interest to react quickly if a complaint about bugs arises, we switch the guest to another room...

I called there and inquired and had left a message for the head of housekeeping. Within about half an hour, the GM called me back to discuss the matter. He assured me that bed bugs were not an issue at the hotel nor had they been.

Prior to posting his response on cruise critic, I did let him know that I would be posting both his response and his name on this site and he didn't seem to have a problem with that.

Thanks for posting, it is good to see that management is responding promptly to this issue.

Let's try to dispel some of the posts that were negative against the Hyatt. I am posting from the lobby right now. We leave on the Grand tomorrow.

first to the person who said they were in a small musty room. All rooms in the Hyatt are the same. The only difference being some have single king beds while the others have twins. The rooms are large and very clean. If they have not been used and the air turned down they could be a bit musty at first but by turning up the air the problem is quickly solved. You must understand that this is Southern Florida and it is very hot and humid.

We had the chance to talk to the Manager and they are concerned about the bad postings re bedbugs. The problem is non existent. The beds and bedding were spotless.

We loved the separate kitchen area. If you go out the front door and turn right then in a short distance turn left, there is a large shopping center with a super market, many places to eat and the Total Wine Store. The place is amazing and the sales people know their wines. Walk to the Water Taxi or walk up on bridge to view the ships

I would recommend this hotel to anyone. I sometimes wonder the real reason for some of these posts ! :)

Let's try to dispel some of the posts that were negative against the Hyatt. I am posting from the lobby right now. We leave on the Grand tomorrow.

first to the person who said they were in a small musty room. All rooms in the Hyatt are the same. The only difference being some have single king beds while the others have twins. The rooms are large and very clean. If they have not been used and the air turned down they could be a bit musty at first but by turning up the air the problem is quickly solved. You must understand that this is Southern Florida and it is very hot and humid.

We had the chance to talk to the Manager and they are concerned about the bad postings re bedbugs. The problem is non existent. The beds and bedding were spotless.

We loved the separate kitchen area. If you go out the front door and turn right then in a short distance turn left, there is a large shopping center with a super market, many places to eat and the Total Wine Store. The place is amazing and the sales people know their wines. Walk to the Water Taxi or walk up on bridge to view the ships

I would recommend this hotel to anyone. I sometimes wonder the real reason for some of these posts ! :)

Great post. Say hi to Stewart (shuttle guy) for us. We bought him a blooming onion from the Outback. He was so pleased. Everyone there is so nice. Love that place. :D

Have a great cruise!

We will say hello to Stewart. With 5 ships in port and having to do the airport run he was one tired dude. I will certainly review the Grand. Just like the Hyatt the old gal has been taking a few hits herself. By the way, the Hyatt North was formerly Amerisuites so all the rooms are suite type rooms. :)

We are staying there in February, I was unaware about any bad review until this thread. But I feel pretty good about the response from the General Manager.

Anyway, one of the posts mentions that you can walk to the Water Taxi. Where does the water taxi take you? Is there somewhere we can take it the morning of our cruise (hoping to leave for the cruise around noontime)? Just thinking about options of things to do with the kids before we board the ship.

Thanks!

Do they have a place to store luggage on day of departure, when ship is going to be late leaving? Would like to store luggage and do a little shopping. We are already staying there overnight, but are suppose to check out by 11am, so will be checked out. Anyone had any experience doing this?

Do they have a place to store luggage on day of departure, when ship is going to be late leaving? Would like to store luggage and do a little shopping. We are already staying there overnight, but are suppose to check out by 11am, so will be checked out. Anyone had any experience doing this?

They have a room that they keep locked with luggage for people when the room is not ready. They are so nice there I am sure that would not be a problem.

We would like to go to the port after 3 pm, will the shuttle take us at that time or will it be busy with the airport traffic?

Check the sailing time of your ship----usually you MUST be onboard at least 90 minutes before sailing (Homeland Security regulations). For a 5 pm departure I would want to make sure I'm onboard by 3 pm.

We stayed at this location on Oct 17. We had four rooms booked for us and we never saw anything about bed bugs in our rooms.

The employees of the hotel were very accommodating. Should we ever sail from FLL again, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there.

One thing I want to mention, and I might do it again as a separate thread, is that at the port, the "inspectors" do not realize that a 1.5 liter bottle of wine is the equivalent of 2 750ml. They took our one large bottle and said Carnival doesn't allow more. I tried so many times to explain, but they didn't understand.

When we were checked in a waiting, I asked a Carnival employee about this. She said Carnival doesn't care if it's one large bottle for 2 people or for 2 smaller ones. Of course, we couldn't get our bottle of wine back until late Monday night.

The strange thing, at least to me, is that we went to Total Wine which is within walking distance of the Hyatt. I purchased a bottle of Cream Lemoncello as for whatever reason, it hasn't been available at Total Wine in Orlando. I didn't plan to drink it on the ship, just wanted to bring it home, so I expected it to be taken. The inspector, the same one who took my bottle of wine told me it was OK to take the Lemoncello onboard.

I tried to explain to her Lemoncello was liquor but it was so far beyond her understanding. I just shook my head and moved on. I do understand that different types of alcohol are not known to the inspectors. But, just because it is the right size, doesn't mean that is what Carnival is allowing.

Sorry for hi-jacking. I just wanted to alert future cruises to how you have to bring your 2 bottles on board. Enjoy!

Archived