Confused about Panama Canal

njdevil08

Or as a registered user, which you are, you can select the thread menu in the upper right, choose subscribe and select if you want email notifications. You can also see your subscribed threads and forums by clicking the User CP link in the toolbar.

We're looking at this cruise in the near future as well and am wondering now... just how do you "save this thread for future use"?

Thanks!

It's confusing but Holland America's partial cruises are listed under "southern Caribbean" rather than Panama. It's a 10 day round trip from Ft. Lauderdale from October to April on the Zuiderdam.
I was on a full-transit on the Coral in January and a partial-transit on the Zuiderdam in April. Had a great time on the Zuiderdam and one of the best tours I've ever taken in Costa Rica, a river tubing excursion that was more like white water rafting. It was a hoot. Loved it.

The best advise is call your cruise line and ask where you'll be stopping or check your itinerary. Every ship makes different stops, some depend on timing or contracts with tour companies in Panama. I've done the 10 days round trip from FL, that's really great, and you spend a half day at Lake Gatun, very beautiful. The full transit can be anywhere from 10 to "forever days".

I am currently reading that book in anticipation of a Janury 2011 cruise through the Panama Canal. I am approx half-way through it and I second this poster's recommendation. It is a very entertaining book. Hard to put it down. I was not aware of the French connection and ensuing scandal that occured prior to the Americans becoming involved in building the canal. Fascinating!:)

I finished "Path Between the Seas" the night before we started our transit of the canal a couple of weeks ago. I'm so glad I read it, even though it took me a couple of weeks. I was familiar with all the problems the French incurred as well as the Americans problems and solutions. Fascinating!!

They have the paperback book in the Island's ship store, but don't wait until you get on the ship to start reading it unless you have been through that "Evelyn Wood Speed Reading" course! ha ha

Before we went through the canal I found a video put out by Nat'l Geographic on the building of the Panama Canal. They had movies of the actual construction and facilities that were built for the workers. Reading the book is informative, watching the video gives the story some life.

I borrowed the video from my local library.

For a family celebration we're considering a partial transit from the eastern end. Which line/s would you recommend that would offer the best canal experience?

The canal experience in this case would take precedence over the choice of cruise line.

Ten days would be the absolute maximum cruise length.

Thanks experts,

Ruth

Be aware that Royal Caribbean apparently does not offer partial transits anymore. For their "partial" transit itineraries, the ship docks in Colon and the ship never enters Gatun Lake. You'd have to take an excursion to actually see the Canal.

We've done the Princess partial transit twice... once on the Island Princess and once on the Coral Princess. We can't say enough about how enjoyable both voyages were...

Archived