Confused about Panama Canal

njdevil08

This may be a stupid question, so I apologize in advance. ;)

We're strongly considering a Panama Canal cruise next year and are a bit confused on partial versus full transit. What exactly does each of them mean? I thought a full transit was basically "in one side out the other", but I've seen Princess cruises listed as full transit that don't appear to go the whole way through. Maybe I'm just delusional. LOL so then what would a partial transit be?

Thanks in advance!

A partial transit will go through the Gatun Locks and stop in Gatun Lake. It is usually the 10 day roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale.

A full transit will be Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale or anything that requires the ship to go from the Pacific side to the Caribbean side. (or vice versa)

A partial transit will go through the Gatun Locks and stop in Gatun Lake. It is usually the 10 day roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale.

A full transit will be Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale or anything that requires the ship to go from the Pacific side to the Caribbean side. (or vice versa)

Ok - so if I'm reading the Princess website correctly, the partial transits go in/out of the Gatun locks, stopping in Gatun lake then stop in Colon for only a few hours afterward? Do the full transits stop at any point?

Sorry for all of the questions! :)

pancanal.gif

We're strongly considering a Panama Canal cruise next year and are a bit confused on partial versus full transit. What exactly does each of them mean? I thought a full transit was basically "in one side out the other", but I've seen Princess cruises listed as full transit that don't appear to go the whole way through. Maybe I'm just delusional. LOL so then what would a partial transit be?

Thanks in advance!

The full transit also passes thru all 3 sets of locks, and connects the Atlantic to the Pacific oceans either traveling east or west.

Ok - so if I'm reading the Princess website correctly, the partial transits go in/out of the Gatun locks, stopping in Gatun lake then stop in Colon for only a few hours afterward? Do the full transits stop at any point?

Sorry for all of the questions! :)

pancanal.gif

The full transit we did last April sailed from Cartagena directly to the canal, stopped in Gatun Lake for a while after passing through the first locks (no passenger disembarkation) then sailed on through to the Pacific. We moored overnight off Fuerte Amador then tendered ashore in the morning for a day in Panama City. The full transit is fantastic. Do try to read "A Path Between the Seas" by David McCullough before you go, it makes the transit so much more interesting knowing the history.

If you do do just the partial check the excurisions as I believe there is one that will transport you almost all the way west to the Pacific and then back to the ship.

I alway recommend if possible that one does the "full transit" if possible. The canal is such a wonder and IMHO the entire length needs to be viewed to really appreciate. Since they are starting to widen the canal it is tempting to do it again just to see the engineering feat.

The full transit we did last April sailed from Cartagena directly to the canal, stopped in Gatun Lake for a while after passing through the first locks (no passenger disembarkation) then sailed on through to the Pacific. We moored overnight off Fuerte Amador then tendered ashore in the morning for a day in Panama City. The full transit is fantastic. Do try to read "A Path Between the Seas" by David McCullough before you go, it makes the transit so much more interesting knowing the history.
We did the opposite in January, i.e., were going from LA to FLL so we stopped for a day in Fuerte Amador from which you can do any number of half- or all-day tours. The next day, we sailed through all of the locks of the Canal.

I did a partial-Canal from FLL in April where we sailed through the Gatun Locks very early in the morning and sailed through Gatun Lake, disembarking only the passengers going on tour. We then turned around and sailed to Colon where those passengers re-embarked. There weren't any tours in Colon but you could get off the ship and wander around for a while.

To me, the difference is that if you want to experience going through the locks, the full transit is better. You also get a full day in Panama in addition to the transit. There is narration throughout the transit. If getting up early and going through one lock is enough, then the partial is OK. There are tours that will take you by train along the Canal to the other side and back by bus, but having done that, I can tell you that you don't see much of the Canal itself since there are trees lining the banks. You can also take a tour that goes by smaller boat to the other side of the Canal and back.

I think the full transit is better but if you are constrained by time and $$, the partial transit is a good cruise.

Dear NJDevil.

Be careful if you are considering other cruise lines other than Princess, as some go to Colon, Panama but the ship itself never enters the Panama Canal. In order to go into the canal you must take an excursion. I think all of the Princess ships either go into the canal-either full or partial transit. And by far the most interesting part of a Panama Canal cruise is going through the locks on your ship.

Thanks in advance!

We did a partial transit from the Pacific side (Los Angeles round trip which doesnt happen often it seems!) - we went in and went all the way into Gatun Lake and turned around just before the locks on the Caribbean side then went back to Pacific - it was awesome and we enjoyed it alot.

If you do do just the partial check the excurisions as I believe there is one that will transport you almost all the way west to the Pacific and then back to the ship.

I alway recommend if possible that one does the "full transit" if possible. The canal is such a wonder and IMHO the entire length needs to be viewed to really appreciate. Since they are starting to widen the canal it is tempting to do it again just to see the engineering feat.

Because of the way the land is twisted in Panama, the Atlantic/Caribbean end of the canal is actually to the west of the Pacific side.

Do try to read "A Path Between the Seas" by David McCullough before you go, it makes the transit so much more interesting knowing the history.

I am currently reading that book in anticipation of a Janury 2011 cruise through the Panama Canal. I am approx half-way through it and I second this poster's recommendation. It is a very entertaining book. Hard to put it down. I was not aware of the French connection and ensuing scandal that occured prior to the Americans becoming involved in building the canal. Fascinating!:)

A very good book that is well written and not "reference" material heavy is "PANAMA FEVER" by Matthew Parker - I highly recommend this book it details so much info about the Panama Canal and the history of the world back in those days - and made going through the canal so much more enjoyable knowing its rich history.

If you do the partial transit, you can take an excursion on a boat that will take you through the rest of the locks to the Pacific, then bus back to Cristobal. We loved experiencing the canal on the larger ship, then on the smaller boat where we could feel the movement and actually touch the walls of the locks. It was a nice contrast to do it both ways, and a very worthwhile (if long) day.

This is for the relocation cruise from Vancouver BC to FT Lauderdale in September 2011 - you can also board in San Francisco for a 15 day cruise.

Saturday, Sep 24 - Vancouver, BC - Depart 4:00 PM

Sunday, Sep 25 - At Sea

Monday, Sep 26 - San Francisco - Arrive 10:00 AM, Depart 5:00 PM

Tuesday, Sep 27 - At Sea

Wednesday, Sep 28 - At Sea

Thursday, Sep 29 - Cabo San Lucas - Arrive 7:00 AM, Depart 2:00 PM

Friday, Sep 30 - At Sea

Saturday, Oct 1 - At Sea

Sunday, Oct 2 - At Sea

Monday, Oct 3 - Puntarenas, Costa Rica - Arrive 7:00 AM, Depart 7:00 PM

Tuesday, Oct 4 - At Sea

Wednesday, Oct 5 - Fuerte Amador, Panama - Arrive 8:00 AM, Depart 6:00 PM

Thursday, Oct 6 - Panama Canal - Arrive 5:00 AM, Depart 4:30 PM

Friday, Oct 7 - Cartagena, Colombia - Arrive 8:00 AM, Depart 2:00 PM

Saturday, Oct 8 - Aruba, Aruba - Arrive 1:00 PM, Depart 7:00 PM

Sunday, Oct 9 - At Sea

Monday, Oct 10 - At Sea

Tuesday, Oct 11 - Ft. Lauderdale, Florida - Arrive 7:00 AM

If you are planning this one, please join our roll call, this is a great group and a great voyage.

See you on the water,

Rex

..."Do the full transits stop at any point?

Sorry for all of the questions! :)"

This is going to be one of the "it depends" answers. Many of the cruise lines that are offering full transits are building either a day before, day after or even a stop on transit day. Here is a sampling of what you may find:

Atlantic to Pacific full transit: A stop in Colon the day before the Canal transit; A stop at Ft. Amador in the evening the day of your transit; A stop in Ft. Amador the day after transit.

Pacific to Atlantic full transit: A stop in Ft. Amador the day before transit; If your itin is calling for a stop in Colon of about 4 hours on transit day, here's how that works. Just before the ship reaches Gatun Locks you will tender off the ship to meet your tour. The ship will proceed through Gatun Locks and dock in Colon, where you will rejoin the ship. Electing this option you will have been through about 80% of the Canal but you will miss the largest locks, Gatun and the short sail down the Atlantic entrance.

There of course is the full transit in either direction that will not include any of these options and just transit the Canal without any stops in Panama. I would also add my vote for the full transit preference, but at the same time don't discount the partial transit. As mentioned earlier, if you combine your partial transit of the Gatun Locks with the tour that takes you on a partial transit of the Pacific Locks, you really get a wonderful contrast of seeing the operation from two different sized vessels.

Have fun!

For a family celebration we're considering a partial transit from the eastern end. Which line/s would you recommend that would offer the best canal experience?

The canal experience in this case would take precedence over the choice of cruise line.

Ten days would be the absolute maximum cruise length.

Thanks experts,

Ruth

I should point out your are in the Princess forum, so answers may be a tad biased. You might want to post in the Panama Canal forum (actually this whole thread should probably be moved there)

For a family celebration we're considering a partial transit from the eastern end. Which line/s would you recommend that would offer the best canal experience?

The canal experience in this case would take precedence over the choice of cruise line.

Ten days would be the absolute maximum cruise length.

Thanks experts,

Ruth

Well, in that case, I'll recommend Princess for the ships that do the Canal itineraries. The Coral and Island are the same design, one usually does full transits, the others partial.

We sailed on the Coral and loved her. She has a great space ratio, more than enough amenities (the only recurring complaint by Princess regulars is the lack of an International Cafe), covered and open pools, lots of balcony cabins, etc. This class was designed for the Canal specifically, hence the name "Panamax"

That said, I'd focus also on itinerary to see if stops are where you want to go. We're doing a partial on the Island in 2011 (not enough vacation time for a full), partially because we love the ship class, but also because the stops/schedule interest us (Aruba, Canal Partial with short stop/tour pickup in Colon, Cartagena, Limon and Ocho Rios with 4 sea days scattered in).

One consideration to me would be if you have kids. I find that while Princess has fine kid programs, Royal Carib and Norwegian are more kid/teen friendly in terms of amenities.

Also, look at departure and return points. For example, our partial is Ft. Lauderdale to Ft. Lauderdale. Since we live on the east coast, this is an inexpensive and quick air trip for us. A round trip might be Ft Lauderdale to Los Angeles, requiring a cross country flight in one direction which adds time and expense in some cases.

Again thank you Loonbeam for a full reply. We did Alaska on HAL -- hardly noted as a kid friendly line and the eight grandchildren enjoyed every minute (from toddler to 12 year old)as did their parents.

This dreamed of trip is again all about destination and historical and geographical education.

Princess merits investigation, expecially as HAL doesn't seem to do partial transits any more.

Like I noted, Princess has fine kid programs. They just can't match up (and don't want to) on some of the more physical amenities (Rock Climbing Walls, flowriders, etc) if kids are into that sort of thing. One difference between a Canal transit and AK is more sea days to keep kids occupied.

Again thank you Loonbeam for a full reply. We did Alaska on HAL -- hardly noted as a kid friendly line and the eight grandchildren enjoyed every minute (from toddler to 12 year old)as did their parents.

This dreamed of trip is again all about destination and historical and geographical education.

Princess merits investigation, expecially as HAL doesn't seem to do partial transits any more.

Archived