Confused New Bee - Wine bringing on board

jenson47

Sorry, but that is incorrect information. Someone just posted some Patters from a recent trip and right there in blue and white for one of the ports it stated wine could be brought on for the cabin ... Note that it says NOTHING about how much wine.

Well, I didn't make it up. I said I was surprised to see the words "PER VOYAGE" in the Patter. I've never seen it before. And yes, it goes against the wording you quoted. For the first time in years we didn't bring the Patters home with us so I can't scan and prove it. This was on the Grand.

Call me tacky, but on several occasions, we've filled up our wine glasses with our own wine and brought it to the dining room for dinner. We've never been told anything and they don't know if we brought it from our room or bought it at one of the lounges/bars. In fact, the host/hostess usually carries it through the dining room for us. I don't feel guilty as we usually spend spend money in the lounges and order bottles in the dining room.

Call me tacky, but on several occasions, we've filled up our wine glasses with our own wine and brought it to the dining room for dinner. We've never been told anything and they don't know if we brought it from our room or bought it at one of the lounges/bars. In fact, the host/hostess usually carries it through the dining room for us. I don't feel guilty as we usually spend spend money in the lounges and order bottles in the dining room.

I don't think that is tacky at all! We frequently will bring a glass of champagne or wine when we "travel" on the ship.

Oh no. We were planning on stopping at the Total Wine store on our way to the port this coming Monday. :eek:

Has anyone else had a bad experience with the wine from that store? Previous poster makes it sound very iffy. :(

Is BLACK BOX the actual Brand Name of this wine? I'm assuming grocery stores/Walmart's in FLL or Miami would have it, yes?

Yes, that's the actual name and (this will surprise you!) it comes in a black box. Wait, maybe I can find a pic . . .

df-black-box-merlot_300.jpg

It's readily available at every grocery store around here, so you shouldn't have any trouble in finding it in FLL, either. I can't recall for sure that Total Wine sells it -- the one near me doesn't carry much boxed wine -- but there's a grocery store right there (Publix) that would have it, I'm sure.

Oh no. We were planning on stopping at the Total Wine store on our way to the port this coming Monday. :eek:

Has anyone else had a bad experience with the wine from that store? Previous poster makes it sound very iffy. :(

I've lived near two Total Wines in two different cities and never had a problem. They generally have pretty quick turnover so, unless you're buying something really out of the mainstream, the wine shouldn't have been standing/laying on the shelf that long. They do keep the lights too bright -- I'm sure that's to keep an eye on shoplifters -- which, of course, it isn't good for the wine. Anyway, with the traffic that goes through FLL, I'd be surprised if their stock had time to go bad. I wouldn't hesitate to buy there -- the prices almost always beat the grocery store. You can buy a bad bottle anywhere, after all.

Is BLACK BOX the actual Brand Name of this wine? I'm assuming grocery stores/Walmart's in FLL or Miami would have it, yes?

I've checked several online wine sites that evaluate wine & Black Box was consistently near the top of the list. Another top rated brand was a surprise...Target's "Cube" wine with a lot of varities & comes from St Helena in Napa Valley...only $17 for a 3 liter box.

Not all Target's carry wine but you could search their site or call to find one near you.

We enjoyed the Black Box Merlot (BevMo $22) & my son enjoyed a Cube Pinot Noir.

I've checked several online wine sites that evaluate wine & Black Box was consistently near the top of the list. Another top rated brand was a surprise...Target's "Cube" wine with a lot of varities & comes from St Helena in Napa Valley...only $17 for a 3 liter box.

Not all Target's carry wine but you could search their site or call to find one near you.

We enjoyed the Black Box Merlot (BevMo $22) & my son enjoyed a Cube Pinot Noir.

I'd forgotten until I read your post that back in July my sister gave me a Cube of, I think, Pinot Grigio, left over from some party she had -- someone had brought it and she decided she didn't like white wine that week (or she didn't like cubes, or she didn't like the design on the box, or who knows? With a crazy person, it's so hard to keep up. But I digress...). It wasn't bad at all. Thanks for reminding me; I'll have to try the other varieties. At home, I mean. I don't carry on wine as a rule. Too heavy; my bags are already loaded down with shoes and books!

I'd forgotten until I read your post that back in July my sister gave me a Cube of, I think, Pinot Grigio, left over from some party she had -- someone had brought it and she decided she didn't like white wine that week (or she didn't like cubes, or she didn't like the design on the box, or who knows? With a crazy person, it's so hard to keep up. But I digress...). It wasn't bad at all. Thanks for reminding me; I'll have to try the other varieties. At home, I mean. I don't carry on wine as a rule. Too heavy; my bags are already loaded down with shoes and books!

Since we're driving to the pier soon for our next cruise, figured we'd try it for our cabin.

I don't know if only BevMo's selection was so limited with maybe more options someplace else. I was surprised that Target had such a large selection.

Yes, that's the actual name and (this will surprise you!) it comes in a black box. Wait, maybe I can find a pic . . .

df-black-box-merlot_300.jpg

It's readily available at every grocery store around here, so you shouldn't have any trouble in finding it in FLL, either. I can't recall for sure that Total Wine sells it -- the one near me doesn't carry much boxed wine -- but there's a grocery store right there (Publix) that would have it, I'm sure.

I've lived near two Total Wines in two different cities and never had a problem. They generally have pretty quick turnover so, unless you're buying something really out of the mainstream, the wine shouldn't have been standing/laying on the shelf that long. They do keep the lights too bright -- I'm sure that's to keep an eye on shoplifters -- which, of course, it isn't good for the wine. Anyway, with the traffic that goes through FLL, I'd be surprised if their stock had time to go bad. I wouldn't hesitate to buy there -- the prices almost always beat the grocery store. You can buy a bad bottle anywhere, after all.

Our Total Wine carries it. It's in a section that has a variety of box wine, as well as the 1.5 liter bottles. Just ask for Black Box and they'll take you right to it.

We went there before the Grand Cruise on 10/11 and found the selections limited and the wine we did buy tasted like it had not been stored right.Bought Grich Chardonay, usually a wonderfful full bodied wine and it was very thin, same vintage we drink at home, The Grgich Cab was also not quite right. The only Chandon Champagne they had was "extra dry" , which is reall extra sweet.Would not go there again. waste of time.

Maybe their distributor had a problem with the wine. I have never had a problem at Total Wine. It's a large chain. We have them in Virginia, they are also in N Carolina, S Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Arizona and California... If they routinely sold bad wine, they wouldn't be growing as fast as they are! Grigch is a very nice Chardonnay, too bad it wasn't good. Total Wine carries a South African Champagne called Graham Beck that is delicious and moderately priced. I always get that brand for the holidays.

I bought a mixed case of wine from Total Wine in March and had absolutely no problems whatsoever. I ordered on line and prepaid. They had it ready when I arrived, I checked it over then they sealed it attached the luggage tag, and I took it with me. Not one was corked, or off. I have had more problems with Bev-mo and Costco than Total Wine.

I am by no means a "wine snob", but for some reason I have some issue with drinking wine from a box. I am sure if someone poured me a glass and I did not see where it came from, I would find it delicious as I do most wines, but I think it would just bring me back to college and having a box of wine in the fridge for easy access. I would hope after all of these years boxed wines would have improved, and my DH just said that it is actually in a bag not a box so it would not taste like cardboard, which I know, but still..... They always say when you eat it starts with your eyes, that's why plating is so important, so I guess that is my issue with wine. Call me crazy, lol. :p

I am by no means a "wine snob", but for some reason I have some issue with drinking wine from a box. I am sure if someone poured me a glass and I did not see where it came from, I would find it delicious as I do most wines, but I think it would just bring me back to college and having a box of wine in the fridge for easy access. I would hope after all of these years boxed wines would have improved, and my DH just said that it is actually in a bag not a box so it would not taste like cardboard, which I know, but still..... They always say when you eat it starts with your eyes, that's why plating is so important, so I guess that is my issue with wine. Call me crazy, lol. :p

No wine expert here either but enjoy some nice "heart healthy" red wine.

They still sell cheap wine such as Almaden & Franzia for about $12 for a 5 liter box. The nicer boxed wines are closer to $20 for 3 liters or $5 per 750ml bottle. It's convenient & saves the wine better when used as a house wine.

It's all evolving...some exceptional twist cap bottles of wine from Australia, New Zealand & even recently bought a Tuscan wine.

I had the same perception but it's not like in our youth.

Since we're driving to the pier soon for our next cruise, figured we'd try it for our cabin.

I don't know if only BevMo's selection was so limited with maybe more options someplace else. I was surprised that Target had such a large selection.

I thought the Cube Pinot Grigio from Target was terrible. I'm not a wine snob by any means and have drank other boxed wine. It was so bad I returned it to the store. It's possible it was a bad batch? But I don't think I could ever chance it again. Good luck!

I know, it's hard... but think of the glass that's not going into the dump! Also, it doesn't oxidize. Although, mine never gets a chance to oxidize!!;)

I'm enough of a snob though that I wouldn't serve it to guests, unless I put it in a carafe first!:o

Does anyone have suggestions for the easiest way to carry on wine? I'd rather not give it to the porters. Do people tend to use wine boxes, coolers, wine totes or just backpacks? Any tips would be much appreciated!

I bought a small wheeled folding cart (holds 80#) from Magellan's. The wheels are 2" and the cart weighs 2# and fits in my suitcase. We go to the wine store, buy one to two cases and DH wheels it right onboard along with his carryon.

I thought the Cube Pinot Grigio from Target was terrible. I'm not a wine snob by any means and have drank other boxed wine. It was so bad I returned it to the store. It's possible it was a bad batch? But I don't think I could ever chance it again. Good luck!

Grazie for your thoughts on the Cube's Pinot Grigio...with "rdsgrl" saying "it's not bad" we'd want to try it at home before deciding about buying some for our cabin...SOP for us.

I believe the good ratings were for the Cube's reds so maybe not as good for whites.

Although even true "wine snobs" come up with surprising evaluations in blind tastings. I've read that Charles Shaw (AKA "2 Buck Chuck") sold at Trader Joe's was rated higher in blind tastings (Merlot?) than much more expensive wines.

But the bottom line is whatever tastes good to each of us is the best wine to drink. And if I want some better quality boxed "house wine" I'll pour it in my cabin instead of buying the same (or maybe lower) quality of wine from an onboard bar.:)

I have been drinking this box wine for at least 5 years. It is the best especially on trips. I live in Michigan and Meijers has it on sale for $18.95. I have read it rates in the tops for box wine. I too have problems pouring wine from a box, I have learned to shut my eyes.

I bought a small wheeled folding cart (holds 80#) from Magellan's. The wheels are 2" and the cart weighs 2# and fits in my suitcase. We go to the wine store, buy one to two cases and DH wheels it right onboard along with his carryon.

Not trying to judge anyone here, and it's wonderful we can bring on board whatever folks want it seems. But I just have to ask. If I take your average 1-2 cases as 1.5, that is 18 bottles. Is that for a one week cruise? Because that is over one full bottle per day per person.

You must really like wine - even for breakfast? Not judging - just having a little fun and not sure I have met anyone that is as big a fan.

Not trying to judge anyone here, and it's wonderful we can bring on board whatever folks want it seems. But I just have to ask. If I take your average 1-2 cases as 1.5, that is 18 bottles. Is that for a one week cruise? Because that is over one full bottle per day per person.

You must really like wine - even for breakfast? Not judging - just having a little fun and not sure I have met anyone that is as big a fan.

Some people like to have "parties" in their cabins and share their stash. Others, just enjoy being on vacation!;)

In talking to my Princess Rep, only 1 bottle per person is allowed....we have always taken cases of wine, as we are a wine society in California, and have never had a problem.....up to 20+ cases ....and checked through with porters. Now they are scanning everything and will confiscate and return at the end of the cruise.....mostly because of breakage and leaking on other peoples luggage. go ahead and do what you want knowing that it may be taken away.....very sad for the 20 of us that are doing a 14 day Hawaii cruise in February.

There is no official rule for a bottle limit anymore.

As stated above it says "you may bring on wine/champagne".

There is no "confiscation" at embarkation ports.

Keith,

Nor at any other port for that matter if we're talking wine or champagne. Gotta love that pre-Skywalkers slurp on the balcony prior to the official dinner hour :rolleyes: .

Ciao for now!!!

Archived