Confused New Bee - Wine bringing on board

jenson47

So i have heard on these board that you are allowed to bring one bottle of wine or Champagne per person on board. I have also seen where people have been allowed on with much more than this.

I read the passage contract and all i see is you can bring wine or champagne on board. It says nothing about size or amount.

You go to Princess.com and read the FAQ's you get this "passengers are permitted to bring one bottle of wine and/or champagne per person purchased in a shoreside location onboard. We prefer that passengers bring wine/champagne no larger than 750ml, however, magnums are acceptable. Wine in a box is not encouraged."

I understand the fee of $15.00 if brought to a dinning room.

So what is the case? How much can i bring and what are the sizes? I leaving out of Port Lauderdale Florida. Should I check it or carry it through as a carry on? Will I have any problems and need to bring a copy of the passage contract as suggested in other threads?

So confused new bee to princess as i am used to Royal and you can't bring alcohol beverages on board. Thanks so much for answering yet another wine question.

On our cruise in August, I carried on two 1.5 ml bottles, and was asked no questions. I carried on another two .750 bottles in port with no questions asked. I did not bring any to the dining room - balcony consumption only!

So i have heard on these board that you are allowed to bring one bottle of wine or Champagne per person on board. I have also seen where people have been allowed on with much more than this.

I read the passage contract and all i see is you can bring wine or champagne on board. It says nothing about size or amount.

You go to Princess.com and read the FAQ's you get this "passengers are permitted to bring one bottle of wine and/or champagne per person purchased in a shoreside location onboard. We prefer that passengers bring wine/champagne no larger than 750ml, however, magnums are acceptable. Wine in a box is not encouraged."

I understand the fee of $15.00 if brought to a dinning room.

So what is the case? How much can i bring and what are the sizes? I leaving out of Port Lauderdale Florida. Should I check it or carry it through as a carry on? Will I have any problems and need to bring a copy of the passage contract as suggested in other threads?

So confused new bee to princess as i am used to Royal and you can't bring alcohol beverages on board. Thanks so much for answering yet another wine question.

You can bring on any size wine you wish, even a box wine for your stateroom frig. They do ask that you not bring things like boxed wine to the dining room (which is a no-brainer actually). As said, any wine you take to one of the dining venues there will be a $15 corkage fee that applies, but for enjoying your wine in your stateroom, no charge. ;)

So is there a amount limit that i can bring?

Your actual cruise contract does not stipulate any amount. Online it does, but the cruise contract does not. I have known many that take several bottles each (and also pick up more in port) and have never been questioned about it. ;)

No limit on wine, but wine prices in the dining room are quite reasonable. So if you figure in the $15 corkage and a $10 bottle, you may prefer to simply order a $25 bottle of wine at dinner.

In either case they will save any wine you do not drink for the next night.

If you are serious wine drinkers and want to bring good vintages to the dining room the corkage fee is more reasonable relative to your wine cost.

For the cabin we really find it worth bringing on board.

In Ft Lauderdale I carried six btls of wine in a wine carrier on my back-it went thru X-rays and no questions asked-I used it in my cabin for my DS and my family who came on board.

I have never been questioned with wine/champagne;)

If you are in Ft. Lauderdale pre-cruise you should stop at Total Wines and purchase your wine. They'll pack it up for you if you want. If you are going directly to the port from the airport by cab the driver will stop for you as its about half way between the airport and the port. We have taken a case on the past several cruises with no issues whatsover. As stated previously the wine in the dining room is a decent price and it saves dragging your bottle around with you. I have taken a glass of wine to the dining room for lunch with us - from our cabin - no issues there either. Pays to stick with Princess!!!!

No limit on wine, but wine prices in the dining room are quite reasonable. So if you figure in the $15 corkage and a $10 bottle, you may prefer to simply order a $25 bottle of wine at dinner.

In either case they will save any wine you do not drink for the next night.

If you are serious wine drinkers and want to bring good vintages to the dining room the corkage fee is more reasonable relative to your wine cost.

For the cabin we really find it worth bringing on board.

Right on. However, I am more guarded about what I bring now because do the real expensive bottles match the food except in specialty restaurants now? Unless you have a fave you MUST drink, I am thinking only bring champagne now if I want some - or a wine for cabin use only.

This would especially apply to Celebrity as I understand they are charging a ridiculous $25 fee. (Last time I sailed them I think it was 8 bucks or maybe a bit more). This is not just a corkage fee, but a discouragement fee for sure. Princess is borderline with $15 (I think $10 max ought to do).

I don't want to tell you what the value was of a bottle I misplaced between airport and ship in Nov 2002. Don't even ask me what I was thinking bringing such a bottle on a cruise. I still get the chills when I think about it. I was back to the car rental location, on the phone, and finally had to give up and return to the dock at the last moment to re-board the ship.

(I did not pay ANYTHING near what its street value was in 2002, but I had been storing it in my wine fridge for several years at that point).

Thanks for all your help. We plan to bring as big of a bottle as possible as there will be 6 of us. I am thinking magnums. I think the bottles you can buy for $25.00 are the regular size bottles. We are driving to port as i live in Orlando. Therefore, we will get them and BJ's a whole sale place.

We usually start with six bottles (DH and I have different tastes in wine) and pick up additional bottles in port as needed. The only time we have been questioned was in Honolulu and they asked how many bottles we had, we told them three, they said "okay". We do purchase wine in the dining room and in various locations throughout the ship. The wine we bring on is for in-room consumption only. Princess' liberal alcohol policy is one reason they are my cruise line of choice.

So is there a limit of the amount of bottles that i can bring ?

There is absolutely nothing in your passage contract binding you or limiting you to the amount of champagne you can bring onboard a Princess cruise. For reference see Section 5 para 2 of the Passage Contract which you agree to (and sign) when booking your voyage.

Ciao for now!!!

Does anyone have suggestions for the easiest way to carry on wine? I'd rather not give it to the porters. Do people tend to use wine boxes, coolers, wine totes or just backpacks? Any tips would be much appreciated!

We carried on a case of wine in September. DH and I each carried 6 bottles in the cloth carrying bags that you can get at wine stores. Went directly to our room once on board and dropped them off. Very easy to do.

Does anyone have suggestions for the easiest way to carry on wine? I'd rather not give it to the porters. Do people tend to use wine boxes, coolers, wine totes or just backpacks? Any tips would be much appreciated!

Easiest way to carry it on? Depends on how much you want to bring with you. When boarding Star in Sydney last year for our 30 day voyage to Los Angeles, we strapped 2 X four litre "megakeg" (read box) on top of our 2 carry ons and hand carried an additional one each for a total.

That 16 litres did the best part of the voyage with a few NZ wines thrown in from our NZ ports. No problems, no eye lashes batted, nada with regard to the amt of wine carried onboard.

Ciao for now!!!

Easiest way to carry it on? Depends on how much you want to bring with you. When boarding Star in Sydney last year for our 30 day voyage to Los Angeles, we strapped 2 X four litre "megakeg" (read box) on top of our 2 carry ons and hand carried an additional one each for a total.

That 16 litres did the best part of the voyage with a few NZ wines thrown in from our NZ ports. No problems, no eye lashes batted, nada with regard to the amt of wine carried onboard.

Ciao for now!!!

Sweet a MEGAKEG!!!

fooddrink3_468.jpg

Thanks for all your help. We plan to bring as big of a bottle as possible as there will be 6 of us. I am thinking magnums. I think the bottles you can buy for $25.00 are the regular size bottles. We are driving to port as i live in Orlando. Therefore, we will get them and BJ's a whole sale place.

Try Black Box wine! It was recommended to me by a friend who owns a wine store. He said it's his store's best kept secret b/c it's better than a lot of the mid priced wines and it's equal to 4 bottles. I brought it on Coral for an Alaskan cruise, no problems. I personally like the Chardonnay, but others have said the reds are good too. The Pinot Grigio is also pretty good. At least give it a try. Don't substitute a different brand, most of the other box wines are dreadful! You can find it at the grocery store, but I've also seen it at Walmart for about $21. If you don't like dispensing from the box, fill a carafe to bring to your guests.;)

We carried on a case of wine in September. DH and I each carried 6 bottles in the cloth carrying bags that you can get at wine stores. Went directly to our room once on board and dropped them off. Very easy to do.

Sounds easy enough! Thanks! :D

Your actual cruise contract does not stipulate any amount. Online it does, but the cruise contract does not. I have known many that take several bottles each (and also pick up more in port) and have never been questioned about it. ;)

We bought on 4 bottles in Venice, 2 in Rome, 2 in Nice, 4 in Barcelona and 2 in the Azores. HOLY MOLY!! We drank all that??

Actually we shared with our table mates at dinner, and brought home 3 bottles....;) OH and it was a 16 day cruise....LOL

I was very surprised to see the Patter saying that you were allowed to bring on one bottle of wine per person PER VOYAGE. I've never seen that before and anyway, how on earth would they know if you had brought some on board before your current stop.

I was very surprised to see the Patter saying that you were allowed to bring on one bottle of wine per person PER VOYAGE. I've never seen that before and anyway, how on earth would they know if you had brought some on board before your current stop.

Sorry, but that is incorrect information. Someone just posted some Patters from a recent trip and right there in blue and white for one of the ports it stated wine could be brought on for the cabin but no liquor (it goes into storage if they catch it). Believe me, there is no count at each port nor a checklist that stops people from bringing wine on at each port because they already used up their "opportunity".

For me, I'd rather be doing other things than buying more wine everytime I go ashore.

Let see if this image works (direct from a Ruby Patter this month):

Liquor Purchased Ashore

We wish to inform you that liquor (other

than wine) purchased in any port of call will

be collected for safe keeping and delivered

to your stateroom on the last day of your cruise.

Members of our Ship's Staff will be at the

gangway to assist with the storage of your

alcoholic beverage purchases. Alternatively,

duty-free liquor can be pre-ordered from our

gift-shops throughout your cruise and delivered

to your stateroom on the last day of the cruise

after 10:00am.

Note that it says NOTHING about how much wine.

We went there before the Grand Cruise on 10/11 and found the selections limited and the wine we did buy tasted like it had not been stored right.Bought Grich Chardonay, usually a wonderfful full bodied wine and it was very thin, same vintage we drink at home, The Grgich Cab was also not quite right. The only Chandon Champagne they had was "extra dry" , which is reall extra sweet.Would not go there again. waste of time.

Archived