Nieuw Amsterdam new embarkation time-11.07.2010

grammie2maddie

I just received the following email from HAL after I had heard that the embarkation time would be later:

Please be advised that we have recently been experiencing a heightened level

of gastrointestinal (GI) illness on the ms Nieuw Amsterdam. The ship will

follow a special cleaning and sanitizing protocol developed in conjunction

with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) prior to our

November 7, 2010 departure from Ft. Lauderdale.

To enable us to complete a thorough cleaning in Ft. Lauderdale, embarkation

will now begin at 4:00 pm on November 7. We deeply regret any inconvenience

this delay may cause. For guests who must arrive early and would like to check

their bags at the terminal, we will offer complimentary shuttle service

between the pier and the hospitality center. As well we will offer a

complimentary shuttle service to the 17th Street shopping district.

If you have any questions or concerns please contact us at 1-800-577-1728.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Best Regards,

Joshua

Holland America Line

Surely people won't complain about the late boarding when the cleaning is for their own good health? Could they:rolleyes: I'm glad HAL takes the health of its passengers seriously and is doing this major cleaning. I feel bad for the crew as they will be exhausted by not only doing their regular turn-around cleaning but all the extra jobs they will be given. In exactly one month, I'll be in FLL anticipating my Dec. 5 NA cruise. I'm counting the days.

Surely people won't complain about the late boarding when the cleaning is for their own good health? Could they:rolleyes: I'm glad HAL takes the health of its passengers seriously and is doing this major cleaning. I feel bad for the crew as they will be exhausted by not only doing their regular turn-around cleaning but all the extra jobs they will be given. In exactly one month, I'll be in FLL anticipating my Dec. 5 NA cruise. I'm counting the days.

You have a good point about the hard-working crew so I hope all passengers remember this, are respectful, and have a sense of humor on this cruise. After all, there is no bad cruise!

This is good news that HAL is taking time to do an extra thorough cleaning of the ship.

But I wonder what happens if some people don't get the message to show up at the ship at a later time? We always leave several days ahead of a cruise and would not be able to get a message. Just curious.

I think it's probably going to be mass chaos at check in.

Sadly, you're probably correct. We were once involved in a late departure where few people knew about it ahead of time. I am among the worlds most patient and understanding people, but have to admit I was exhausted by the time we finally boarded. Not crabby, just tired. It was Los Angeles (Zuiderdam) and there is not much seating there. Many people didn't take the delay as well as we did, and I heard people still complaining several days into the cruise. Sad.

Can anyone tell me the best way to endure the late check in procedure? Does it help to get there early to check in/get your name on the list? And if so with a 4pm check in what should we do? We had planned before this to get there about 11am - now I have no idea what to do. If you have any experience at all with this please advise us of a potential good plan.

Thanks!

Can anyone tell me the best way to endure the late check in procedure? Does it help to get there early to check in/get your name on the list? And if so with a 4pm check in what should we do? We had planned before this to get there about 11am - now I have no idea what to do. If you have any experience at all with this please advise us of a potential good plan.

Thanks!

I think you created two threads on this same topic?

As I posted on the other thread, I do think the terminal is going to chaos. Normally there is a staggered arrival of passengers since some arrive early, and some later (based on flight arrivals, etc). In this case the vast majority of the passengers are probably going to be at the pier by 4pm. I don't think it's going to be pretty, and even when I plan to arrive around 6pm I'm expecting a lot of people. Hopefully I will be proven wrong.

Best advise to avoid all crowds is to arrive as late as possible (after 6pm). Of course that means pretty much the entire first day of the cruise is wasted. :(

Ernie

We had a similar experience on the Maasdam several years ago when boarding was delayed until approx. 7:30pm - due to the late arrival of the ship. HAL contacted us via our cell phone the evening before departure. As we were driving to the port we didn't rush the next morning - but still arrived around 3:00pm and the ship had just pulled in. There was a huge hospitality center set up in a hotel (Marriott, Sheraton?) ballroom within walking distance of the port (Norfolk). A nice buffet dinner was served. Shuttles were offered between the port and hotel and reverse. Tours were offered of the area in the afternoon. There were many tables outside the hotel ballroom staffed with people who had up-to-date information and they were doing kind of a "pre check-in" and giving all guests different suggested times to go to the ship, therefore there wasn't a mad rush for boarding. It wasn't the perfect way to start a cruise ... but to us it was better than sitting in our offices!

To all on this cruise - please don't let the delayed boarding ruin your trip. Keep a positive attitude and it will be much more fun! :D

I would agree with Ernie that it will be chaos at 4:00... and before... Even if Hal is organized (I expect them to be) there isn't enough seating in the cruise terminal. If you have to arrive early (airport transfer for example) check your luggage, then leave via the Hal supplied shuttle...

If you can choose your arrival, consider stopping by the port and checking your luggage, then leave, go to the beach, visit a museum, and come back about 6:00 or so...

If you check your luggage early, it will be in your room when you board... otherwise it will follow, sometime later.

As others have pointed out... don't blame the crew... this isn't their fault, and much of the work of sterilizing the ship will fall to them, while going through US immigration, Coast Guard inspection, and the general rush disembarking and embarking passengers, followed by extra shifts in the Lido due to Code Red...

Does anyone have an idea when they would hold the life boat drill with late boarding and late sailing?

In February, we had a late departure due to the Eurodam arriving late.

The ship was berthed at Pier 26.

All luggage handling was done at Pier 25. Everyone then took a seat, the terminal was tightly packed. Lemonade, cookies and coffee were served.

As usual, we were given a number as we entered. When they were ready to begin boarding, we were walked over in groups by number to Pier 26. We were efficiently checked in and boarded, and went directly to our cabins.

IIRC, the ship departed around 7:00 PM.

Thanks!

I've got a GREAT plan for you. If you can get your bags to HAL, then good. If not, the FLL airport has a secure and inexpensive storage area for bags. Take a cab or hop on the bus and head to the beach for the day. There are tons of restaurants, shops, bars, and beaches just 5 minutes from the airport. We even do this on disembarkation day if we have an afternoon flight out.

We had this situation in San Diego once. They were cleaning the ship. I don't remember what time we finally got on, but they suggested we go out to lunch or sight seeing while waiting. Once they started boarding people it went very quickly and the ship took off the minute the last person was on. Be sure you know when the ship expects to leave!

Archived