Hotels through Cruiseline

Lvs2Cruise2

Hello,

Have you booked a nights stay hotel through the cruiseline with transfers from the airport to the hotel, then onto the pier the next day?

I'm considering this option for our April cruise on Coral that leaves out of Acapulco.

We definately want to fly out a day early because anything can happen, but with Mexico under so much violence right now I'm leary about choosing a hotel and transportation on my own with a city I know nothing about. Would you recommend booking with Princess to stay at one of their "extend your stay" hotels? And use their transfers? Thanks in advance for your help!

In Acapulco, I would use the Princess pre-cruise stay. If you do it for more than one night, you are grossly overpaying but for the safety and convenience, it's worth it for one night.

We're doing the Princess pre-cruise hotel in Rio in 2012 even though it's more expensive than arranging everything on our own. Our luggage will be taken care of and we don't have to worry about looking for someone we've never met at the airport. In my experience, there is a Princess rep at the hotel to help you and they offer tours that you can take as well. The last time I was in Rio and when I did this in Buenos Aires, the transfer to the ship included a morning tour. Not sure if this will be the case in Acapulco but I wouldn't be surprised.

What I often do is book at one of the cruise line's recommended hotels, but book it on my own and not through the cruise line. I can usually get a better price doing it that way. You can still pay for the cruise line's transfer and pick it up at the hotel.

When we were in Acapulco 2 years ago, we booked cruise line's hotel on our own. The cruise line had staff at the hotel lobby, where we checked into the cost of their transfer and the departure time. We ended up asking the hotel for a late checkout to avoid being in the mob of people leaving on the cruise line's transfer bus, and then just caught a cab to the pier on our own.

In Acapulco, I would use the Princess pre-cruise stay. If you do it for more than one night, you are grossly overpaying but for the safety and convenience, it's worth it for one night.

We're doing the Princess pre-cruise hotel in Rio in 2012 even though it's more expensive than arranging everything on our own. Our luggage will be taken care of and we don't have to worry about looking for someone we've never met at the airport. In my experience, there is a Princess rep at the hotel to help you and they offer tours that you can take as well. The last time I was in Rio and when I did this in Buenos Aires, the transfer to the ship included a morning tour. Not sure if this will be the case in Acapulco but I wouldn't be surprised.

Pam, another option to check out -- Rio Guest House (B&B). We loved it. Fabulous terrace overlooking Copacabana. You can read reviews on Trip Advisor. Owner can provide pickup at the airport and transportation to the ship. Several restaurants nearby. Owner is Brazilian, husband Australian. They will answer all your questions by email if you're interested. We have been to Rio twice and would choose this place again if available.

We used the Princess pre-cruise stay in Vancouver for our first cruise. While the cost was higher, representatives met us at the airport, and provided transportation to the hotel. Our luggage was brought to our room for the evening. We were able to check in for the cruise at the hotel the next morning, so when we arrived at the port via Princess Transfer, they had a separate security screening area and we got to skip the lines...another plus.

I tend to use the Princess hotels if I am in a country where I do not speak the language. This has worked well for us as I am intimidated by trying to explain where I want to go to the taxi driver. It is very easy to just find the Princess representative when you come out of luggage claim/customs and from then on they take care of the luggage and you.

Pam, another option to check out -- Rio Guest House (B&B). We loved it. Fabulous terrace overlooking Copacabana. You can read reviews on Trip Advisor. Owner can provide pickup at the airport and transportation to the ship. Several restaurants nearby. Owner is Brazilian, husband Australian. They will answer all your questions by email if you're interested. We have been to Rio twice and would choose this place again if available.
Thanks for the information. If I were traveling alone or with a friend, I'd do it. But, I'm going with my sister and she gets an anxiety attack if she's out of her comfort zone; she wants to be taken care of and not have to worry about anything. She wants to do the Princess pre-cruise so that's what we'll do. :)

Have booked my own, mostly in the US and have used the cruise line to take care of it in other destinations that we are not familiar with or where language could be an issue. Princess did the bookings for our cruise on the 19 in Asia. Very nice hotels in both Beijing and Singapore.

Have booked my own, mostly in the US and have used the cruise line to take care of it in other destinations that we are not familiar with or where language could be an issue. Princess did the bookings for our cruise on the 19 in Asia. Very nice hotels in both Beijing and Singapore.
Even though the OP asked specifically about Acapulco, there are some instances where a Princess pre-cruise hotel, even in the US, makes sense. Their pre-cruise package in LAX is a good deal for one or two people, for one night, because it includes the transfers and luggage handling. At the pier, it's taken away before you can tip, so you don't have to do that either.

Usually, you can do a lot better than Princess but sometimes, it's nice to be taken care of. Particularly when it's not going to cost you any more and possibly less when everything is totaled. When you're in an unfamiliar country, don't know the language, aren't sure about how to get around, there are military patrolling the streets as they are in Acapulco, etc., then the Princess pre-cruise makes sense.

Thankyou everyone for all of your replies. I did book with Princess for the hotel and transfers to the hotel then onto the pier. It wound up being about $100 more than if I did it on my own, but I think I'd rather have piece of mind and not have to worry about safety, language barriers, being taken advantage of in a strange place, ect. Now just 165 days to go! Thanks again

We are staying 2 night pre cruise in Rio also (March 2011) for Carnival and then getting onto the Star Princess.

I wouldn't even consider for a second using the cruiseline's packages for hotels, but that probably has much more to do with the fact that I am a Diamond member w/Hilton and Plat w/Marriott. As such, we'll be at the JW Marriott for a couple nights and we too may pay a bit more (not than a cruise package, but more than locals) because we will work out the pick up with the hotel concierge. Not even worried about the country/language barriers.

But that does remind me...I need to get working on that VISAs....ugh. Not to mention seats for Carnival! Now, if we can only stay awake until 4:00 a.m. Might not be too hard since we are flying into Rio that morning at 6:00 a.m.! Yippee!!!

:)

Apparently, our TA books out a bunch of rooms at the hotel to get the group rate, which was why I found it odd that I couldn't book embassy on my own b/c the rooms were all sold out. I actually was surprised that she got me a reservation at the embassy. Sorry for the rambling, but our pre-cruise hotel was $75 cheaper with our TA than it was through princess directly.

thank goodness I read this thread b/c I had no idea that a Princess rep would meet us at the airport. Now I understand why they needed our flight itinerary. Although it does say that if your flight arrives before 3pm check-in time that the will "try" to accomodate. Our arrival is 8:30am, I wonder if they will be there??? Has anyone arrived this early before check-in to find a rep? LOL

Another downside is that if you book through Princess, you will not earn 'loyalty points' as you normally would for your stay, if the Princess hotel happens to be a chain where you have a frequent 'stay' membership. This happened to us when we stayed at a chain brand in Tahiti.

And if you book extra nights, you cannot cancel after it is booked. We ended up paying for 2 hotel rooms for one night because we could not cancel one of our 2 nights at the Princess hotel in Tahiti. After we booked, we realized we wanted stay an over water bungalow at a different hotel for one of the two nights. Princess would not allow us to cancel one of our nights (even well in advance), so we kept the original reservation and booked the second night where we wanted and left the majority of our bags in our first room until we checked out the third morning. After that, we figured it was easier to do all the research on our own and have the flexibility to earn points and make changes if needed.

The Princess hotel option is convenient but be sure you understand the downsides and make the best choice for your situation based on what is important to you.

Yes, I used the service - but only for Ft L. For Mexico, I'd consider it the only way to go. However, I should add - I won't travel to Mexico. Maybe some day.

We have a timeshare in Mazatlan Mexico and its a shame some people generalize so much about the problems down South. Yes there are areas of big problems, but as in most countries there are also some really nice spots - we are just back from Mazatlan and had our usual great time.

Another downside is that if you book through Princess, you will not earn 'loyalty points' as you normally would for your stay, if the Princess hotel happens to be a chain where you have a frequent 'stay' membership. This happened to us when we stayed at a chain brand in Tahiti.

I just wanted to also add that I did call Embassy and add our Hilton Rewards number to our stay for Saturday night. This stay was booked through Princess for pre-cruise. Maybe it depends on the chain?

mdpaul,

I was able to add my frequent stay number to my reservation also, but when it came time to receiving credits for the stay, I received none because I had paid Princess for the room, not the hotel directly. It was the same as if you book a room through Priceline or another company like that. You can add your number but you end up not receiving any credits after you leave.

Hopefully it will be different for you!

Archived