Not a carnival fan BUT.....

califgary

I will admit Im not a big fan of Carnival-style cruises, BUT from what we've all read about recent events I have to say that this could have happened on ANY line - and it sounds like they did the very best they could under the circumstances. Seeing people say they will never cruise Carnival again is unfair - This people need to realize this accident could happen on any ship, any line, any where.....just because this happened on a Carnival ship doesnt mean they are any less professional or safety-minded than any other line.....ok I feel better now....i say congrats to Carnival for the good PR, and yes sorry to those that had to endure this very unfortunate event....but dont blame Carnival - "stuff happens!"

I will admit Im not a big fan of Carnival-style cruises, BUT from what we've all read about recent events I have to say that this could have happened on ANY line - and it sounds like they did the very best they could under the circumstances. Seeing people say they will never cruise Carnival again is unfair - This people need to realize this accident could happen on any ship, any line, any where.....just because this happened on a Carnival ship doesnt mean they are any less professional or safety-minded than any other line.....ok I feel better now....i say congrats to Carnival for the good PR, and yes sorry to those that had to endure this very unfortunate event....but dont blame Carnival - "stuff happens!"

nice post.

Well said.

I think that Carnival may have picked up a Royal following after this incident. From what I read people who are loyal to another cruiseline might give Carnival a chance. I know I will.

As a long time supporter and loyal cruiser of RCCL I would agree with this sentiment. No, I was not on this cruise (obviously) but if I were, I wouldn't jump ship and change cruiselines as a result. From an outsider, it appears (so far) to me that Carnival is doing EXACTLY what I would expect from my preferred cruiseline. This could have happened... and has happened.. on any cruiseline. We should thank the powers that be that no one was seriously hurt from this incident.

I think that Carnival may have picked up a Royal following after this incident. From what I read people who are loyal to another cruiseline might give Carnival a chance. I know I will.

I know Carnival is the parent company to 2 of my absolute favorite lines (Princess and HAL) - they deserve better press on how they handled this mess in my opinion. I can only imagine what it would be like if you were halfway across the ocean to hawaii or something ... again I can only imagine the inconvenience caused to those passengers...but if I was offerred a free Carnival cruise, I would certainly take it! If this happend on Princess and I got that offer I would jump at it......

...but if I was offerred a free Carnival cruise, I would certainly take it!

I was telling a co-worker this same thing today. He was going on and on about the hardship and whatever the pax had to put up with and to be sure, it could not have been pleasant at all but a full refund of the cruise cost plus transportation home plus a free, future cruise? You bet! ;)

And to OP, nice post and agree with you entirely. :)

I have never sailed Carnival but I was extremely impressed with how they handled this situation. I was especially impressed with how they made sure their employees got compensated for losing the tips from this cruise. Good on ya Carnival. Well done. I hope other cruise lines take notice.

Good sentiments here...we feel the same way. We are booked on the Xmas cruise on the Splendor and are looking forward to it. Glad that everyone is back safe and sound...CCL handled everything in the best possible way under the circumstances. We are fans of Carnival and just booked yet another (our 9th) with them today for March. We are always happy to find a reason to cruise, and the way that CCL is treating the Slendor passengers and staff gave us that extra motivation to pick up the phone today and call our pvp. Yippee!

I was on last year's cruise when the Splendor rammed into the RCI ship and the Captain suffered a heart attack and had to be medi-vac out. We were very late coming back but they handled those situation well.

Like the title of the thread, I'm not a big fan of Carnival either. However, I must applaud them for the way they are handling this situation. On top of what they are doing for the passengers, they are also paying for room and board in San Diego for all the crew members. While every other corporations watches the bottom line, looks like Carnival cares for its customers and employees.

If any of you had seen the live feed broadcast on line, you'd have been surprised at the response of people coming off the ships when interviewed. All of them had nothing but praise for how CCL handled the situation. There was one complainer during that 1 hour feed and that is the one you will see over the next few days on the news......You;ll know him as the one who had his birthday screwed up....

The media were literally trying to get horrific stories from people and people were not taking the bait..it was great...but the interviewers soon got bored. They wanted sensationalism and didn't get it.

I agree, this could have happened on any ship. Those of us that know and love cruising understand this. All I hope is that if something like this ever happens to me, I want to be on a ship full of passengers like the ones that were on the Splendor, because those people made the very best of a very uncomfortable situation. Kudos to them and the Carnival crew. :)

The media were literally trying to get horrific stories from people and people were not taking the bait..it was great...but the interviewers soon got bored. They wanted sensationalism and didn't get it.

It was SOOOOOOOOOO awful...the way those reporters AND the people in the studio were going ON and ON...asking leading questions. I only watched a bit where this cnn reporter was interviewing 2 kids (probably about aged 7 and 10). He says, "what about the FOOD?" and the kids go, "oh, it was AWFUL...cheese sandwiches and butter and jelly sandwiches and SALADS!" (insert gasp of horror) "AND we had to take the STAIRS because the elevators weren't working!" (oh, and do you have an elevator in your house, sweetheart? :rolleyes:). The reporter asks, "well THEY SAY that they had activities and such for you to do...is this TRUE?!" and the kids were like, "oh yeah, it was fun. we played board games and did projects and stuff". So the reporter is like, "OOOOOH, but we heard the smell was AWFUL" and the kid goes, "I didn't smell anything". Reporter asks, "so...after being TRAPPED on this trip for 4 days, if someone came up to you and asked you if you'd like to go another Carnival cruise to Mexico, what would you say?" and both kids, without hesitation, were like, "YES!!!!!!".

Yeah. Whatever. Moving on to the next story Mr. Amateur Reporter....

It was SOOOOOOOOOO awful...the way those reporters AND the people in the studio were going ON and ON...asking leading questions. I only watched a bit where this cnn reporter was interviewing 2 kids (probably about aged 7 and 10). He says, "what about the FOOD?" and the kids go, "oh, it was AWFUL...cheese sandwiches and butter and jelly sandwiches and SALADS!" (insert gasp of horror) "AND we had to take the STAIRS because the elevators weren't working!" (oh, and do you have an elevator in your house, sweetheart? :rolleyes:). The reporter asks, "well THEY SAY that they had activities and such for you to do...is this TRUE?!" and the kids were like, "oh yeah, it was fun. we played board games and did projects and stuff". So the reporter is like, "OOOOOH, but we heard the smell was AWFUL" and the kid goes, "I didn't smell anything". Reporter asks, "so...after being TRAPPED on this trip for 4 days, if someone came up to you and asked you if you'd like to go another Carnival cruise to Mexico, what would you say?" and both kids, without hesitation, were like, "YES!!!!!!".

rofl!!!!:D I had forgotten that, as a child, i WILLINGLY ate butter and jelly sandwiches!:D Yep, those reporters were definitely fishing for horror stories, and really weren't getting any...:rolleyes:

i read the story earlier... here:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/11/11/cruise.ship/index.html?hpt=T2

(CNN) -- Passengers who disembarked from a Carnival Cruise Lines ship that was towed to port after losing power earlier this week gave mixed reviews on the experience, with several declaring it "an adventure."

"A lot of things went wrong, but it was really fun," said one small passenger, Ryan Harlan, who was traveling with his parents. "We went to the Kids' Camp."

He said the Kids' Camp was, in fact, his favorite part, because he made some friends.

and when i realized the best they had (and lead with) was a kid... i knew they were reaching... and even with the reach, the kid said it was 'fun'... :rolleyes:

A local Chicago resident that was on the cruise had this to say, "I felt like I was on the Titanic." :p

Yet in follow up questions her answers became ," people were laughing, helping each other, the CD was funny when he came on."

Hhmm, not sure there was much funny on the Titanic. :rolleyes:

One woman from LV was arrested on some outstanding felony charges.

And one piece of good news for Carnival, the Navy will not charge them for assistance as they were in the area training.

A local Chicago resident that was on the cruise had this to say, "I felt like I was on the Titanic." :p

Yet in follow up questions her answers became ," people were laughing, helping each other, the CD was funny when he came on."

Hhmm, not sure there was much funny on the Titanic. :rolleyes:

One woman from LV was arrested on some outstanding felony charges.

And one piece of good news for Carnival, the Navy will not charge them for assistance as they were in the area training.

Not a fan of the media .. but here in Vancouver the local news interviewed people that were smiling and saying that Carnival and crew were amazing! And that they made soild friends with other pax. :D

I'm glad that the local news here at least got it right!

They did right for the crew and passengers. Most people were just so thankful that everything turned out good. Fire at sea is serious business and thank God the seas were not bad so they could tow the vessel without issues. Thanks to the Navy and Coast Guard who was there and the Mexican tugs that towed the vessel back to San Diego. I was not on the ship, but I have read John's accounts on the fire thus far and it was amazing how things worked out. I am sure the guests were uncomfortable and I am not dismissing that but they are so blessed that the event turned out as well as it did. Carnival went the extra mile and the media just still wanted to be negative for sensationalism. So sad. Why couldn't they say the positive because there was a lot of that. I guess that was not news to them. I am proud of Carnival and I know they care about their people and their guests. Hats off to them for the way they handled this situation.

Great post....you should win a free cruise just for having good common sense....a big thumbs up!;)

I am a HAL loyalist. I too want to weigh on on CCL's response. I can't imagine any cruisline of any stature could have done any better then Carnival did with this situation.

The press will always look for the negative,,that sells. They will find 3 or 4 grumpy people out of 3000 and try to make it seem as though the entire ship was doomed. Anyone with commons sense knows not to beleive half of what they say. I think Carnival did a magnificent job, their employees worked and over foot to make sure they could do the best with what they were given (I picture in my mind the employees forming those losng lines to move food from the bottom to the top of the ship). I have been on one CCL ship and although my next planned cruise will be on HAL, I will return to CCL to show them what a great job they did.

And kudos to the US and Mexican Navies and Coastguards and all the others that pitched in to help.

Archived