What I Did On My Winter Vacation--onboard the Splendor 11/7 cruise

Georgia Peach2

Thanks for your firsthand report. You have a good attitude.

I have a delicate question, and I'm sure others have been wondering also.

Where did 3300 guests go, ahem, weewee for the day the toilets weren't working?

Oh, you could GO in the toilets...you just couldn't flush them. (I don't know if this is true or not, but I heard that a hose in the vacuum system melted.) I don't really know what was wrong except that they didn't work. And the bowls are not really that large. They quickly filled up with, umm, stuff. This is really gross, but I talked to one lady who had 4 in their cabin. (her, husband, son, daughter) and she said she and her daughter even peed in the shower because they were afraid to go anymore in their toilet.

By Monday night they had the toilets in the front to mid-ship working. At that point us poor souls in the aft section started using public toilets. It didn't take us long to locate the out-of-the-way places such as way up on Deck 12. Nobody wanted to climb that many steps for a bathroom so they stayed pretty clean.

I''m impressed with your attitude. If I had been on that cruise I would have wanted you as a neighbor. It's always interesting to see how differently people react to a difficult and accidental situation. Hope you enjoy your next cruise.

Reading the Cc forums for years I can understand why your not reading anything other than the ,"positive attitude" post.

But do understand I can appreciate your attitude in this assessment.

If there were negative Splendor reviews ,you can be assured the Carnival choir would chew em to bit's.:rolleyes:

Can someone please answer me a question...

The Ronald Regan Aircraft Carrier can hold up to 5500 sailors and 80 planes...

While I am very appreciative that they were able to help, I would have thought that they would have been able to cook or help prepare food for people to eat over there and have something somewhat hot even it it was soup, oatmeal, grits, chili and Tea or Tim Hortons Coffee :)

I am sure that their galley / mess would have been able to cook a few things even if it was not entire meals... even stir frys, stews and chicken a la king etc.. nothing fancy but something warm

Any thoughts on this...

So, was your luggage one of the ones dumped into the ocean on embarkation day? Your post seemed to state that, but then you didn't mention anything else about it, so I'm not sure.

Do you know what happened (if your luggage wasn't one) for the folks whose luggage was dumped into the ocean? Especially the ones that sank! And do you know why they fell? Was the bin overloaded or did it tip or something? (I believe you saw it happen, right?)

I too was onboard with a group of 11, including 2 boys 11. and 9. We were down on 2 inside. We told our group to eat something each time food was offering even if they didn't like it. We avoided the 2 hour wait to eat by waiting for the lines to die down. This meant anything good had gone already. Many people horded the food. We always had bread and soda. I spent a lot of time helping people that were having trouble up the stairs. We had a small flashlight with us and we always loaned it to anyone in our hallway. We played cards (and gave a few decks away to others) and walked all over the ship to see resue attempts from a different angle. My family was on the bow when we came into port and ended up on CNN. My daughter in Canada saw our picture and called her local TV. She gave them my cell number and that led to many interviews for her and I. We are also planning our next cruise.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. It sounds like it was horrific to live through - but love the attitude coming off the ship, and in general, from anyone who I have heard stories from so far. You guys have done the ultimate in making lemonade out of lemons, and I love that you are all planning other cruises.

Carnival went above and beyond, in my opinion. I think it's refreshing.

Thanks for sharing your adventure!

FYI, re: the butter on sandwiches... many countries do that.

If I'm making, say, a ham sandwich of course I need mayo and mustard, while my (English) wife makes hers- yup... ham & butter.:rolleyes:

Yep, go into any bakery in France which serves sandwiches and you can find the old standby "jambon beurre," which is a ham and butter sandwich.:)

Thanks so much for posting your story. I think it's wonderful how you managed to keep yourselves calm and occupied during what was at best really trying circumstances. I admire your ability to make the best out of the situation.

I think it's interesting to see the stories coming from people on the ship. The ones that made the best of it, tried to see the joy and admired the staff for their hard work seem to be veteran cruisers. The worst stories seem to be coming from those on their first cruises. Most who have sailed before have had some type of issue, whether from weather, travel or luggage so they were more prepared to make the best of it. First timers seem to have built it up and were more upset overall.

And lucky you to see the Ronald Reagan up close. I have a great love for aircraft carriers and would have been thrilled to see one that close with planes landing. To me, there is nothing as great as a Navy pilot landing on a cruiser in open water. Just amazing!

Can someone please answer me a question...

The Ronald Regan Aircraft Carrier can hold up to 5500 sailors and 80 planes...

While I am very appreciative that they were able to help, I would have thought that they would have been able to cook or help prepare food for people to eat over there and have something somewhat hot even it it was soup, oatmeal, grits, chili and Tea or Tim Hortons Coffee :)

I am sure that their galley / mess would have been able to cook a few things even if it was not entire meals... even stir frys, stews and chicken a la king etc.. nothing fancy but something warm

Any thoughts on this...

Sorry but I'm not sure your question even warrants a response. :eek:

Archived