TSA Security Question

birdcat

Just wondering - I have a pacemaker and since I cannot go through normal security procedures (they patted me down but not invasively last sailing) was curious if I will be subject to the new heavy duty body searches they're doing at the airports lately.

I don't disagree with the extra security measures but I've been quite ill this year (this next cruise is for some serious R&R - already cleared by my doctors who tell me to go) and I now have quite a few places on my body that are "tender" (for lack of a better word) and a rigorous pat-down could become painful (surgical sites).

Just wondering - I have a pacemaker and since I cannot go through normal security procedures (they patted me down but not invasively last sailing) was curious if I will be subject to the new heavy duty body searches they're doing at the airports lately.

I don't disagree with the extra security measures but I've been quite ill this year (this next cruise is for some serious R&R - already cleared by my doctors who tell me to go) and I now have quite a few places on my body that are "tender" (for lack of a better word) and a rigorous pat-down could become painful (surgical sites).

You need to explain that to them when you go through security. You'll bet patted down for sure, but perhaps they'll be extra careful.

I've had a pacemaker for about a year and have flown several times without any TSA issues. I carry an ID card but none of the security personnel have even looked at it.

If it's a "regular" walk-through magnetometer, I just ask for a hand screening. Some security people have asked if I have sensitive areas, so I think if you point that out to them, they will be careful. My patdowns have been pretty thorough but never uncomfortable. They will take you to a private area if you would prefer.

Avoid the hand wands - this uses a magnetic field and you need to avoid that.

The new body scanners are supposed to be ok for us since it doesn't use a magnetic field. I've been through one and they still gave me a pretty good once-over after that since they saw my PM and wires on the scan.

When boarding/reboarding the ship, I just mention to the security people that I have a PM and need a hand screening. They are always aware of how it needs to be done and take care of it efficiently.

Happy travels!

My friend carries a card with the pacemaker info (I.D. number, date of placement, Dr.s name etc). She is patted down. Make sure you aren't wearing any metal, hidden money pouches etc and things should go smoothly.

With your "pain" issues I'd verbally let the checker know before a hand is placed on you. They certainly can glide their hands rather than grab and squeeze.:rolleyes:

Sir or Ma'am(I am sorry I cannot tell gender by your post),

I am very sorry you have been ill. I hope you are now on the road to recovery.

I work for the TSA and have for 5 1/2 years. ALL TSA officers are required to ask if you have any tender or painful parts of your body before they ever put a hand to you. If they don't, or worse, if they do and you express that you are in pain and they disregard this and inflict pain on you, I sincerely hope you would ask to speak to a supervisor. Our security patdowns are necessary. However, they should never cause the traveling public pain.

Not all airports have the large body scanners. Those that don't only have a metal detector for you to walk through. We have always advised that passengers with pace makers avoid the metal detectors because it could disrupt the pace maker. The hand held scanners are only used now in limited circumstances. As such, then, that only leaves you with the pat downs. Yes, you can have a private screening whenever you want(your property will come with you into the private area). Please, seek out the supervisor whenever you have a complaint. That's what they are there for.

Thanks for the info folks - I won't be flying - My questions were geared toward the cruise port and ship security.

I don't have a problem getting patted down, I just have a couple of areas (like where my pacemaker is plus one other surgical area on my mid abdomen) that are painful if too much pressure is exerted on them.

All your comments (especially from the TSA poster) have put my fears to rest - Thanks again.

PS - This is Bruce - I take care of the online stuff - Mindy is along for the cruise!

When boarding a cruise ship, I've never, ever been patted down. They will use the wand, but never a physical pat down. I use a mobility scooter, so I can't walk through the regular xray machine.

As for airports, I fly often, sometimes twice a week, and whenever the TSA person starts the check, I'm always asked if I have any body parts that are painful. Believe me, they DO take extra care not to hurt you.

Archived