Hidden coin on Freedom?

What's a hidden coin?[/quote

This is a shipbuilding tradition that literally goes back thousands of years. The Greeks and Romans put coins under the ship's mast, before it was stepped (installed) to appease the gods and, hopefully, bring smooth sailing to the ship. It was a tradition that continued through the heyday of sailing ships and even to the present day.

Modern shipbuilding doesn't have a traditional keel-laying ceremony anymore, and the ships don't have masts that are used for propulsion. I have seen pictures, though, of ceremonies around the welding of the first two pieces of steel, at the bottom of the hull, in which coins were welded or otherwise permanently affixed to the ship. Obviously, such coins aren't readily visible. In fact, they probably end up being inside a fuel or ballast tank.

On one Carnival ship I've been on (I believe it was the Paradise), I found some coins under glass, in a sealed box at the base of the radio/radar mast. It was reached from the sports deck on the uppermost deck, forward.

If anyone is looking for such coins on just about any ship, I would try the observation deck at the front of the uppermost deck, near the radio mast.

I borrowed this from another post...it is fun to look for them...he is right, they are usually there.

Melanie

• 3 months later...

I found it on the Freedom in January I asked the crew and most --- actually all but the captain had no clue what I was talking about. The captain most graciously told me where it was and Yep it was there.

Now he told me I can't tell anyone else I will give you a hint--- it is on an outside wall. LOL. Go High up and you can see it.

Have fun finding it.

I found it on the Freedom in January I asked the crew and most --- actually all but the captain had no clue what I was talking about. The captain most graciously told me where it was and Yep it was there.

Now he told me I can't tell anyone else I will give you a hint--- it is on an outside wall. LOL. Go High up and you can see it.

Have fun finding it.

The coin is not hidden - perhaps that is what confused most crew?

They are in plain sight on all the ships that I know of.

Who knows the location for the Paradise specifically? I have been on a few Carnival cruises and never known about the coin. I would love to find the coin and see this "hidden" coin. Thanks.

I finally found it. It is on the Sun Deck by the mini golf course. It is under the clock.

Paradisecoin.jpg

GEDC2929.jpg

Archived