Body scanners, More likely not to fly to cruise?

derf5585

Not a fan of the body scanners, nor the enhanced pat down procedures. I feel they are a complete invasion of privacy. However, it will not keep me from flying or cruising. I want our nation to remain as safe as possible. My biggest concern is that these are not required on international flights coming into the USA....

No, it won't alter my plans to fly.

I usually set the alarm off because of hairpins, so I have been patted down for years. I also have had the body scan when it was first introduced. I think it was in Denver. I didn't like feeling like a goldfish either. People were really looking as it was fairly new then. I don't like what I hear about the skin cancer so I will opt for the patting down in future.

We just have to hope that those doing the security check are doing their job thoroughly and not like the person DH saw recently in Hong Kong who was sitting in front of the monitor at the xray, busy doing her nails. She wasn't even looking at the stuff going through.:eek:

Just went through this at LAX and MIA. Yes, you still need to take everything off, though I agree with you. You do have a choice of body scanner or old fashioned metal detector (for now anyways). Not sure when a pat down would occur. Perhaps on failing the old fashioned metal detector? Did not see anyone getting patted down or moaning from it. ;)

Do people using a full body scan still have to take off their shoes, belt, jacket? I would think not but for anyone that has been subjected to them what is the scoop?

gene

I agree with you about terrorism, but what is the profile? Not profiling seems to be getting the job done just fine in the US.

As someone involved in airline security, I can say that profiling is indeed the best way to prevent terrorism.

Terrorism is not something new, and was FAR MORE COMMON in the seventies and eighties than it is now.

As someone who works for the TSA, I can't say thanks enough to those posters who are supportive of our new procedures. I have been feeling very discouraged lately because of all the bad press. I'm just trying to do my job to the best of my ability. I'm not a McDonalds reject or uneducated. In fact, I have a college degree. Trust me when I say this that I am not getting my jollies patting down someone who hasn't bathed in a week or digging through your dirty underwear. I have a difficult job to do and any support is appreciated. A minor inconvenience on the ground is much better than a major one in the air, don't you think?

Who is "WE?" Why should everyone but "we" be subjected to extra scrutiny, while "we" just walk on board? Call me an "ACLU type" but this is still the United States, and the last time I checked, we are all afforded equal liberty.

If we put as much money into profiling and doing security as the Israelis do, it certainly would scale. Anything else is security theatre. Think about it, there has not been an attack since 9/11. What was working before November 1st was working, now why the change. The Theatre Security Agency inconsistently applies the rules in every airport in America. It is not the same. I am so glad that there are airports that have given notice that they are going to OPT OUT of security screening by the TSA as the law allows. I hope more airports will follow. When will you people scream ENOUGH?

Let us see how you feel when you have to be groped and exposed to unnecessary radiation when going into Wal-mart. How about into the library or the shopping mall? Will you be ok with it then?

I agree with you about terrorism, but what is the profile? Not profiling seems to be getting the job done just fine in the US.

Over the years, many people have attempted to come up with a terrorist profile to attempt to explain these individuals' actions through their psychology and social circumstances. Others, like Roderick Hindery, have sought to discern profiles in the propaganda tactics used by terrorists. Some security organizations designate these groups as violent non-state actors.[88] A 2007 study by economist Alan B. Krueger found that terrorists were less likely to come from an impoverished background (28% vs. 33%) and more likely to have at least a high-school education (47% vs. 38%). Another analysis found only 16% of terrorists came from impoverished families, vs. 30% of male Palestinians, and over 60% had gone beyond high school, vs. 15% of the populace.[89]

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorist_profile

Do You Fit the Terrorist Profile?

from

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/election/934

I believe that these methods are applied to pilots as well... the same guys who can fly (or crash) the airplane any where they please... without the need of breaking into the cockpit since they're already there. Are they afraid the pilot will commit suicide and let the plane crash? :confused:

They started checking shoes after the shoe bomber failed,

they started checking underwear after the diaper bomber failed,

The next bomber will carry the explosives in his intestines or stomach similar to drug mules... a little flatulence and we'll be looking for a different probe and scan..:eek:

The Israelis have been very successful screening passengers without the need of "feeling up" the passengers. As long as rules are applied as if every person is guilty and an equal threat to passenger safety I think the rule makers are not capable of finding the real threat to passenger security.

Where is this coming from? Do you know how long it takes to get through Ben Gurion? And rest assured the Israeli army DO "feel up" passengers on each of the few flights they have leaving each day.

The Israelis have been very successful screening passengers without the need of "feeling up" the passengers. As long as rules are applied as if every person is guilty and an equal threat to passenger safety I think the rule makers are not capable of finding the real threat to passenger security.

Well, how do you classify Tim McVeigh's and those people who Sharon Angle incited by telling them to take violent action against the government? If we racialized the profile in the US we would be making a horrible mistake.

Over the years, many people have attempted to come up with a terrorist profile to attempt to explain these individuals' actions through their psychology and social circumstances. Others, like Roderick Hindery, have sought to discern profiles in the propaganda tactics used by terrorists. Some security organizations designate these groups as violent non-state actors.[88] A 2007 study by economist Alan B. Krueger found that terrorists were less likely to come from an impoverished background (28% vs. 33%) and more likely to have at least a high-school education (47% vs. 38%). Another analysis found only 16% of terrorists came from impoverished families, vs. 30% of male Palestinians, and over 60% had gone beyond high school, vs. 15% of the populace.[89]

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorist_profile

Do You Fit the Terrorist Profile?

from

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/election/934

I believe that these methods are applied to pilots as well... the same guys who can fly (or crash) the airplane any where they please... without the need of breaking into the cockpit since they're already there. Are they afraid the pilot will commit suicide and let the plane crash? :confused:

They started checking shoes after the shoe bomber failed,

they started checking underwear after the diaper bomber failed,

The next bomber will carry the explosives in his intestines or stomach similar to drug mules... a little flatulence and we'll be looking for a different probe and scan..:eek:

Ah, a voice of reason in the wilderness.

My vacation starts when my car leaves the parking lot at work, so x-ray, grope, have me strip down. On the grand sceme of things it's all minor. You won't even remember that sitting on the plane having a nice bevy. My only concern is steak or chicken when I get to my hotel. Travel often, enjoy life, and screw the terrorists.

My vacation starts when my car leaves the parking lot at work, so x-ray grope have me strip down. On the grand sceme of things it's all minor. You won't even remember that sitting on the plane having a nice bevy. My only concern is steak or chicken when I get to my hotel. Travel often enjoy life and screw the terrorists.

After reading this thread, it struck me as to how many people including myself really are not concerned with the procedures at this point. If you watch TV news and especially the cable networks, you would think the sky is falling and it is the end of the world. They don't seem to be able to find one person who isn't too concerned.

Are they afraid the pilot will commit suicide and let the plane crash? :confused:

Many believe that the aircraft was deliberately crashed as a suicide given the evidence provided in the NTSB report and the relief first officer's repeating of "I rely on God", but the pilot's actual motivation for his control inputs is not known.

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EgyptAir_Flight_990

There's a part of me that would call this the cost of flying in today's world. But also, I'll avoid flying if it means the scanner. I'm challenged enough reproductively without adding any type of extra radiation. LOL

Also, though, someone else mentioned the Philly airport. We used to fly alot. It used to be very easy, and has deteriorated in the last two years...often issues with luggage, last minute gate changes, etc.

Not to mention that I've gotten "pat downs" almost every time I fly since 2001...I'm always singled out, and I also happen to be well endowed. Go figure.

This is where you and so many others are wrong.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/uscode49/usc_sec_49_00040103----000-.html

If we put as much money into profiling and doing security as the Israelis do, it certainly would scale. Anything else is security theatre. Think about it, there has not been an attack since 9/11. What was working before November 1st was working, now why the change. The Theatre Security Agency inconsistently applies the rules in every airport in America. It is not the same. I am so glad that there are airports that have given notice that they are going to OPT OUT of security screening by the TSA as the law allows. I hope more airports will follow. When will you people scream ENOUGH?

Let us see how you feel when you have to be groped and exposed to unnecessary radiation when going into Wal-mart. How about into the library or the shopping mall? Will you be ok with it then?

I agree.. I had the special pat down in Rome--she really felt me up good in front of everyone! It was humilating..& totally uncalled for!

Israeli model is the way to go..

after our next two fully booked cruises that involve flying (to Fla & london)we will go from our local port --Cape Liberty-- or drive to our condo in Fla & stay there! flying will be limited to must do trips til they sort this insanity out!

There's a part of me that would call this the cost of flying in today's world. But also, I'll avoid flying if it means the scanner. I'm challenged enough reproductively without adding any type of extra radiation. LOL

Also, though, someone else mentioned the Philly airport. We used to fly alot. It used to be very easy, and has deteriorated in the last two years...often issues with luggage, last minute gate changes, etc.

Not to mention that I've gotten "pat downs" almost every time I fly since 2001...I'm always singled out, and I also happen to be well endowed. Go figure.

Me too--I guess that's why they pick us..

Many believe that the aircraft was deliberately crashed as a suicide

The problem would not be solved by a body scan nor a probe of any kind... a psych evaluation and a profile might have prevented this tragedy. Flying with a pilot with a different origin would also have improved chances of arriving at the (a) destination.

I will gladly drive 1,500 miles to avoid a plane flight... unfortunately I can't drive across the ocean.

Me too--I guess that's why they pick us..

On my first cruise, we flew to Miami out of PHL...my girlfriend and I were frisked BOTH times, flying down and back. And 90% of the time I'm told I'd have to wait while they located a female guard and I'm welcome to request that and wait...but she might not come before our flight leaves. Only leaves you with so many options, doesn't it?

I certainly think stringent security measures are a good idea. I don't think the TSA which does minimal background screenings, aren't paid enough to be honest, and have an interesting union structure are the best people to do them.

This is where you and so many others are wrong.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/uscode49/usc_sec_49_00040103----000-.html

Thank you and I agree with you 100%. There are so many on here who believe that they are being protected, they will happily allow the Govt. to take over their entire body on a false pretence. The scanner does not pick up plastic, chemicals or liquids? Your only safe if they have a weapon that shows up. I for one will not subject myself nor my teenage granddaughters to go through this invasion. The body search is even worse. I just returned from Israel and they have it right! It is too bad that the American people will not stand up and scream for profiling. Heaven forbid, we must be politically correct and we are really giving up ALL our rights just so we do not offend the people who would harm us...think about it and ask yourself what has happened to the once proud American who took their freedom(s) seriously. How weak we have become, what a lot of sheep we now are.

Archived