RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

On all my previous cruises, I brought cash for tips for the end of the cruise. Sounds like I don't have to do that anymore (except for anything above and beyond I want to give the cabin steward, etc). Is that correct?

Correct! We have given cash to bar and café servers, even to customer service!

Yeah same as promenade cabins

Need curtains closed due to neighbours across

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm booked in a promenade cabin this December. I think we will leave the curtains open, if people want to watch us sleep, read, occasionally butt scratch and bicker about silly stuff then have at it. Since I am cruising with my cousin, we change in the bathroom. I am kind of excited as I've never had any kind of "view" before, and I like people watching.

You'll want cash for room service, and if you'll be dropping off bags to the porters, we give them a few dollars.

Yep thanks--I will have those envelopes ready (I read somewhere on here long ago to have separate envelopes of cash for different things: room services, tips, port days, taxis, etc--and it really is helpful). Tips will now just be one less thing to worry about.

Not sure if this is a secrete or not, but I discovered while on Explorer that the food in the MDR is all you can eat, endless at no charge! If you want to try 2 appetizers, you can, if you want 2 entrees they let you, no questions asked! There was even a time we all wanted to try scallops, but a few of us didn't want it as an appitizer, so they just put it in as an entree and brought us out a large plate of about 12-15, opposed to the normal plate of 4. The only thing is with lobster, they said they had to make sure everyone who ordered it got some first, but we were able to get seconds of that as well.:D

Not sure if this is a secrete or not, but I discovered while on Explorer that the food in the MDR is all you can eat, endless at no charge! If you want to try 2 appetizers, you can, if you want 2 entrees they let you, no questions asked! There was even a time we all wanted to try scallops, but a few of us didn't want it as an appitizer, so they just put it in as an entree and brought us out a large plate of about 12-15, opposed to the normal plate of 4. The only thing is with lobster, they said they had to make sure everyone who ordered it got some first, but we were able to get seconds of that as well.:D

I have certainly overconsumed on lobster night. If you tell your waiter and head waiter the day before that you want multiple, they will make it happen.

Yep thanks--I will have those envelopes ready (I read somewhere on here long ago to have separate envelopes of cash for different things: room services, tips, port days, taxis, etc--and it really is helpful). Tips will now just be one less thing to worry about.

I've forgotten what the "norm" for room service tips on the ship are (I don't do it very often). In my head it's either $2 or $5 in cash - can someone remind me? And $1 per bag for the porters on the quay (or is it $2 per bag?)

Wow... Haven't been in this thread for a while. And look what I missed!

Another secret is the promenade room that has an obstructed view of the Ben & Jerry's cows rear end. Not sure if it's just the Freedom or the entire Freedom class.

7380cfbb1dfbbb3b5e8bb1cf932165f7.jpg

Yes, not sure if it's true but I've also heard that because of the obstructed view they give the occupants access to the concierge lounge and 2 servings of ice cream from Ben & Jerry's every day. The room is always booked well in advance....

I've forgotten what the "norm" for room service tips on the ship are (I don't do it very often). In my head it's either $2 or $5 in cash - can someone remind me? And $1 per bag for the porters on the quay (or is it $2 per bag?)

We usually only get coffee in the morning from RS. We tip $2.00.

The porter we give $5.00, for usually 3 bags.

They are 'tips', so give whatever you feel is right.

On Freedom class ships (not sure about the others) on the day you leave, the crew will direct you to the Windjammer for lunch, if you want to skip the crowd you can have pizza or a sandwich on the Promenade deck. What a great way to start your cruise!

We've done that before. You can get a chair and table right outside and have an excellent view for sail away.

We usually only get coffee in the morning from RS. We tip $2.00.

The porter we give $5.00, for usually 3 bags.

They are 'tips', so give whatever you feel is right.

I'm Irish - we don't tip the way the US does, and with the currency exchange and tiredness I get confused. What feels right could be $0 or $50, neither of which are usually appropriate :D So I appreciate the tip on tipping.

We have only cruised on RC once and that was years ago. I know each person can carry on a bottle of wine but what about sodas and water? TIA

All beverages except the wine are technically prohibited. However, they usually don't enforce the rule in the case of water or soda except during spring break.

I'm Irish - we don't tip the way the US does, and with the currency exchange and tiredness I get confused. What feels right could be $0 or $50, neither of which are usually appropriate :D So I appreciate the tip on tipping.

You'll get different answers about tipping the guys at the pier. Some people say that you don't have to tip (that they're paid to take your bags), others give a $1 or 2 a bag, I usually give $5 a bag (but my bags are usually really, really heavy). I don't know if tipping works, but I've never had my bag get to my room later than 5.

General note on tipping in the US: 15-20% usually works for everything.

Please note: this post is not meant to start a debate on how much to tip porters or whether tipping gets the bags to the cabin earlier. Thoie, you can do a search and find plenty of other threads on that! :eek:

You'll get different answers about tipping the guys at the pier. Some people say that you don't have to tip (that they're paid to take your bags), others give a $1 or 2 a bag, I usually give $5 a bag (but my bags are usually really, really heavy). I don't know if tipping works, but I've never had my bag get to my room later than 5.

Please note: this post is not meant to start a debate on how much to tip porters or whether tipping gets the bags to the cabin earlier. Thoie, you can do a search and find plenty of other threads on that! :eek:

But, but... it costs nothing to give your bag to the porters, so 15-20% of nothing is... :eek:

(Sorry, couldn't resist!) :D

Yep, as someone else pointed out on a different thread:

I have not read this whole thread so I hope that this is an original thought, perhaps Royal Caribbean should name their next ship Gluttony of the seas.

But, but... it costs nothing to give your bag to the porters, so 15-20% of nothing is... :eek:

(Sorry, couldn't resist!) :D

:)

I would argue that some of the taxes we pay go to paying the porters, so it actually does cost something to give my bag to them...But I'm too lazy to look through the contract. I'm too busy counting down the 52 days until my cruise!

Not meaning to start a debate, ... but the porters who you give your bags to at the port are not the same people who deliver your bags to your cabin, right?

So I don't see how what you tip to those on the pier would have anything to do with when your bags arrive.

Edited by WetToes

Not meaning to start a debate, ... but the porters who you give your bags to at the port are not the same people who deliver your bags to your cabin, right?

So I don't see how what you tip to those on the pier would have anything to do with when your bags arrive.

No, they are not the same people, hence the many discussions about whether or not the tipping makes any difference. I'm convinced it's a mass conspiracy, and they all have "guys" on the ship that they divert bags to. They secretly take our pictures, scan them with our cabin numbers, and pass around according to how well we tip.

Or it's just total luck. :)

We did this last week on Adv OTS.

The peek-a-boo Bridge is also a great place for sailaway.

I was on Adventure in Feb. Both of these places, the helipad and the peek-a-boo bridge were my favorite places to hang out in relative quiet.

TFK

No, they are not the same people, hence the many discussions about whether or not the tipping makes any difference. I'm convinced it's a mass conspiracy, and they all have "guys" on the ship that they divert bags to. They secretly take our pictures, scan them with our cabin numbers, and pass around according to how well we tip.

Or it's just total luck. :)

I foolishly didn't tip the porters taking the luggage off us in Miami and when my bag arrived at my cabin the handle on the top had been broken off. Obviously complained to guest services, they tried to fix it but couldn't and offered me a cheap bag that was half the size of mine which I refused as it was only the handle broken but they gave me goodwill OBC.

Who knows, it may have been a coincidence as my other half case was perfectly ok! The conspiracy continues.......

I foolishly didn't tip the porters taking the luggage off us in Miami and when my bag arrived at my cabin the handle on the top had been broken off. Obviously complained to guest services, they tried to fix it but couldn't and offered me a cheap bag that was half the size of mine which I refused as it was only the handle broken but they gave me goodwill OBC.

Who knows, it may have been a coincidence as my other half case was perfectly ok! The conspiracy continues.......

Maybe they left the other case ok so you wouldn't catch on...what if you're flagged in their big database of non-tippers? I would be careful on your next cruise! ;)