RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

Not meaning to start a debate, ... but the porters who you give your bags to at the port are not the same people who deliver your bags to your cabin, right?

So I don't see how what you tip to those on the pier would have anything to do with when your bags arrive.

True.

The porters bring the bags onto the ship.

The room stewards bring them to your room.

Yep thanks--I will have those envelopes ready (I read somewhere on here long ago to have separate envelopes of cash for different things: room services, tips, port days, taxis, etc--and it really is helpful). Tips will now just be one less thing to worry about.
I like to pay the standard tips up front. It's one small chore "checked off", and by paying ahead of time with my RC VISA, I get double points towards cruise rewards.

I do bring plenty of small bills for tips for meals on the road, bar tenders, taxis, etc.

Irish Guy who asked - it's a maze. As a Canadian, I can say I maybe stand mid-way between the American tradition of tipping (and you can see they are somewhat confused on the details) and the continental standard. It's very hard to figure out.

I don't see why some guy heaving my luggage onto a cart deserves a tip - it's his job, right?

I do think someone bringing a heavy tray to my cabin at 6:30 am deserves more consideration than if the same person had to deliver only a pot of coffee. So I tip two USD every morning when these cheerful people deliver my loaded tray.

I tip our room steward at the beginning of the cruise (cash $10 USD) as a thank you for the services I know she/he will perform. I don't ask much, but when I do, the steward always makes sure it's done. I tip the steward again at the end of the cruise (cash $10 USD). This is in addition to the auto gratuities. The room steward has a very direct, daily influence on my cruise, and I want this person to feel appreciated.

We choose a specific bar and frequent this bar throughout the cruise. We tip for every drink. In return, we receive immediate attentive service, and possibly more generous pours.

We have tipped the Maitre d' $10 to arrange for us to have a MTD table with our friends of that day who wanted to dine with us, and with specific wait staff we had enjoyed. He made it so.

I've always been confused by people who tip in the bars for drinks and service in the specialty restaurants. There's a 15% gratuity automatically added to each bill you receive regardless of the quality of service you receive. Why give more unless you truly received exceptional service that is "above and beyond".

John&LaLa- I believe that is all they do. In our case move the bags maybe 3 feet, and my husband helps. I really don't feel they deserve a tip (from us). We do it out of fear. Our bags could wind up off the dock. Accidently of course. ;)

Sunshinecruiser 24 - I don't think tipping has anything to do with when you get your bags either.

Wassup4565 - See above. I agree.

I foolishly didn't tip the porters taking the luggage off us in Miami and when my bag arrived at my cabin the handle on the top had been broken off. Obviously complained to guest services, they tried to fix it but couldn't and offered me a cheap bag that was half the size of mine which I refused as it was only the handle broken but they gave me goodwill OBC.

Who knows, it may have been a coincidence as my other half case was perfectly ok! The conspiracy continues.......

We tip every time. Last cruise we had a busted wheel. Brand new, first time we used the bag.

We didn't replace the bag just bought a luggage rack with wheels.

I've always been confused by people who tip in the bars for drinks and service in the specialty restaurants. There's a 15% gratuity automatically added to each bill you receive regardless of the quality of service you receive. Why give more unless you truly received exceptional service that is "above and beyond".

My girlfriend and I always give 20% even for subpar service. If we have outstanding service we will give 30-35% maybe even 40%.

So when our bill arrives for our drinks we always add the 5% back in for the bartender.

Creating a friend every restaurant/bar you go is never a bad thing.

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Forums mobile app

Well, I read thru 43 pages then skipped to the end. Whew, great information!!

Wife and I are going on our 2nd cruise next mth., and making final arrangements for today as well as excursions. Headed to Jamaica, Grand Caymans, Cozumel aboard Navigator of the Seas from Galveston.

- Any tips on the best snorkeling excursion for coral reefs in shallow waters?

- Are there packets of honey aboard? We like to put honey in our coffee as a sweetener.

- Anyone aware of Android apps that work offline for sending text messages? We use AT&T. Would be helpful to have as wife and I sometimes go to separate parts of the ship for events and meet later. Not interested in signing up for expensive wi-fi.

- Love the comments about the Apps. Will look into the white noise one and the deck one.

- I'm into gardening. Anyone know of good places to go at the ports noted where you can get perennial seeds? Are there any restrictions on bringing back aboard?

Wife and I are going on our 2nd cruise next mth., and making final arrangements for today as well as excursions. Headed to Jamaica, Grand Caymans, Cozumel aboard Navigator of the Seas from Galveston.

Grand Cayman will have the best snorkeling out of those stops. You can get decent snorkling right near the port at Eden Rock (lots of fish, but not much live coral). Just walk South a few blocks, rent a snorkel and a locker, and swim out to the buoys. See http://link.zansstuff.com/snorkel

If you have your own snorkel and fins you can take the bus for a couple of bucks to Cemetery reef and snorkel from there. Catch the yellow #1 or lime-green #2 bus from the library (a couple blocks from the port) and tell the driver to let you off at Cemetery Beach. The reef is about 100 yards offshore in about 10ft of water. If you smuggle some food from the ship (especially bread or cheese) you can get the Sargent Major fish to swarm you right at the shore. Plus, it's a beautiful white sand beach with plenty of shade. We had a great time here when we did that same cruise on Navigator last year.

If you really want an excursion, I would recommend a combination Stingray City and Reef snorkling one. Go with a private excursion, not one from the ship, as the ship excursions are really crowded. Most of these will stop at the barrier reef near Stingray City, but there are a few that go to better reefs (such as the Nativeway Watersports "Stingray Sandbar, Coral Gardens, and Starfish City" excursion). You can see my pics and video from that excursion at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=37329170#post37329170 (and a picture of how crowded the ship excursions are). We only had six people on our boat and got lots of one-on-one time with the stingrays.

Edited by ahecht

- Are there packets of honey aboard? We like to put honey in our coffee as a sweetener.

- Anyone aware of Android apps that work offline for sending text messages? We use AT&T. Would be helpful to have as wife and I sometimes go to separate parts of the ship for events and meet later. Not interested in signing up for expensive wi-fi.

- Love the comments about the Apps. Will look into the white noise one and the deck one.

- I'm into gardening. Anyone know of good places to go at the ports noted where you can get perennial seeds? Are there any restrictions on bringing back aboard?

I think there is honey, but not sure. I would look by the silverware--or just ask a waiter.

There are great suggestions on the separate forums about each of the ports you're going to. I would post your questions on there. I would be careful about bringing seeds back, especially from Jamaica. You don't want to accidentally bring something else back instead! :eek:

Ok tanks bluegirlum, will do dat!

Great info ahecht! Will look at the links. Looking mainly to snorkel where the coral reef is near the water's surface and not down more than 10 feet or so.

Also, make take in a zipline.

Any Mayan ruins worth visiting? A friend visited Chichen Itza and found it to be a rushed trip with lots of vendors pawning them.

I'm afraid offline is - well, offline! There are two basic ways to send/receive messages with a modern cell phone. You can either use a cellular connection, or a WiFi connection. But you must have one. If you don't want to pay for a ship WiFi plan, you might look into AT&T's cruise packages. They have three choices - $30 for 50 minutes of talk, $60 for 50 minutes of talk and 50 outbound texts (inbound free), or $120 for 50 minutes of talk, 50 outbound texts and 100MB of data. These prices would be per phone. You'd need the $60 package to text back and forth, although with the $30 package you could call each other.

I'm so sorry I asked about tips - it's taken a great thread on a complete tangent :( Sorry everyone!

Don't be sorry. You asked to learn. No harm in that. :)

Sooooo, ... did you learn anything? Haha

Edited by WetToes

The "Real Secret" is to explore the entire ship, deck by deck, to see what is there.

Print deck plans from the RCI Web Site before you board and then just wander and explore.

You will be glad you did!

Here is proof that this system works.

On our first cruise on the Jewel of the Seas, every time we went to the Windjammer we got our food and then found a nearby place to sit down and eat. At lunch on the 4th day, the Windjammer was pretty full so we kept heading aft to find an open table. And we found the open air seating area across the stern of the ship. For the rest of the cruise, that is where we ate.

Had we not walked back there we would never have found it!

DSCN8222.jpg

Is there any place like this on the Navigator of the Seas?

when you are onland search for wifi and use the android ap Hangouts. You can call and text. Turn off your media so att does not find your phone and load us messages and emails while you are away.

A favorite sail away spot for me is the helicopter landing pad at the very front of the ship (Voyager, Freedom and Radiance classes). Most folks don't figure out the way there until later in the cruise. Just go out to the wrap around promenade under the life boats (deck 4 on Freedom) and walk all the way forward. There will be stairs that take you up one deck, continue walking toward the front and you'll soon be at the heli pad with one of the best views on board.

Second best place: Viking Crown Lounge. Easier to find, just take the aft elevators up to the very top.

Ok I'm seriously going to have to see if I can find my way there. Lol!

I stole this from the Princess board, but I loved it and wanted to see what RCI might have to offer. Are there any secrets, freebies, secret doors, great sail away spots etc that most people don't know about or that RCI doesn't tell you about?

Looks like I've got some reading to do now, over 70 pages of tips! Why couldn't I have known about Cruise Critic before our first cruise?