Grand Princess E728...Very noisy

beannie

Just returned from a 14 day on the Grand. We had E728 which was above the Vista Lounge. The noise was deafening from the shows down there.

You could hear and almost feel every beat. All of the aft cabins on that deck complained of the noise. Just a FYI.

Just returned from a 14 day on the Grand. We had E728 which was above the Vista Lounge. The noise was deafening from the shows down there.

You could hear and almost feel every beat. All of the aft cabins on that deck complained of the noise. Just a FYI.

I've seen some people post that they heard a "little" noise when in E728, but you're the first (that I've seen) say it was deafening not just for you but all the cabins towards the aft. While I haven't been in an AD on the Grand, I've been in E725 several times on other shiPs and never heard anything. Ever. This is most unusual so I wonder if they've changed the sound system.

We were in E728 on the Star (sister ship) for almost a month several years ago. Although the noise wasn't what I call deafening, it was definitely present. Especially the base vibrating the floor during shows. We just laughed it off and danced to the music, but I can see where for some this might be a problem. If someone likes a nice quiet cabin, this would definitely not be for them IMHO.

Next time try this cabin on the Starboard side. We sailed on the Starboard side on the Grand in this mini and never heard a beat from the lounge below. ;)

We are one of those on the port side on the Golden Princess on Emerald Deck above the Vista stage. I am taking my white noise machine and hope I won't be sorry. I keep hoping the folks on the other side will cancel, (but only because they decided to do a suite - don't wish anything bad for them :) ) and I can hop in and snag a cabin on the starboard side. So far, no luck, but it has become a kind of game of checking periodically.

I don't know how late the shows go on and just what type of show may be louder than others on various nights, but I guess we are accepting the gamble. I really like the location and have read good from others, so I am hopeful. We were under Lido deck once on another line and it wasn't bad. Few chairs moving every now and then but do-able. Don't know about thundering base though. Maybe back in the day when I was a Disco Queen, but I seem to have grown out of that now... ahem. ;)

We are one of those on the port side on the Golden Princess on Emerald Deck above the Vista stage. I am taking my white noise machine and hope I won't be sorry. I keep hoping the folks on the other side will cancel, (but only because they decided to do a suite - don't wish anything bad for them :) ) and I can hop in and snag a cabin on the starboard side. So far, no luck, but it has become a kind of game of checking periodically.

I don't know how late the shows go on and just what type of show may be louder than others on various nights, but I guess we are accepting the gamble. I really like the location and have read good from others, so I am hopeful. We were under Lido deck once on another line and it wasn't bad. Few chairs moving every now and then but do-able. Don't know about thundering base though. Maybe back in the day when I was a Disco Queen, but I seem to have grown out of that now... ahem. ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about this. The shows with the deep base are not every night and they don't go long into the night. There were only a few nights that it was very noticable on our month long sailing (as said, even the floor vibrated), and they usually stopped around 11:00 or earlier. So, unless you are a very early to bed type of cruiser, I am sure it won't be a huge problem.

It's funny, I have mentioned this noise problem that is associated with E728 for years, and I really had many posters growl at me telling me there was no noise at all that they heard or felt in the very same stateroom. I know what we had, and thought it best to warn others, but got tired of everyone telling me it doesn't exist. But I have never reported that it was so intrusive that it actually dampened our enjoyment of the cruise.

So, whether you move to the starboard side or not, I honestly don't think it will be as big of a problem as you are reading it might be. That is again, unless you plan to go to bed before 10:00 PM. :)

I wouldn't worry too much about this. The shows with That is again, unless you plan to go to bed before 10:00 PM. :)

Toto: Thanks for the comment. I am on the east coast so will be dealing with time change, but did fairly well in Hawaii in becoming a night owl, so hope I will just deal with it and stay awake later. I always set my watch to the time zone I am going to when we fly and try to "get in the mood" upon boarding the plane.

On a side note, I just want you to know that I have ALWAYS wanted a pair of ruby red slippers like Dorothy's and I can only find them in little girl sizes. One day, I will find me a size seven somewhere. Have no idea where I would wear them, but what fun I would have prancing around in them. :eek:

We just returned from 30 days in E728 on the Sapphire and I can attest that you WILL hear "the beat" from below (in our case it was Club Fusion). IMVHO, there is NO "perfect cabin" on a ship. Some are better, some have drawbacks. This cabin was, for the most part, GREAT. No hallway noise, and a great private balcony. We also enjoyed the full length couch for reading and napping.

The noise from below wasn't nightly, and a few nights it was rather annoying. Given that, I would still book this cabin again, in a heartbeat. :p

The stage is offset to the Port side and is directly under the E728, E730, E732, so this probably explains why there is some noise in these cabins. The sound system feeds music etc directly to the stage but not to the rest of the lounge.

I have stayed in the equivalent cabins on Starboard side and never heard a thing.

We just returned from 30 days in E728 on the Sapphire and I can attest that you WILL hear "the beat" from below (in our case it was Club Fusion). IMVHO, there is NO "perfect cabin" on a ship. Some are better, some have drawbacks. This cabin was, for the most part, GREAT. No hallway noise, and a great private balcony. We also enjoyed the full length couch for reading and napping.

The noise from below wasn't nightly, and a few nights it was rather annoying. Given that, I would still book this cabin again, in a heartbeat. :p

We have E728 booked on the Sapphire for February to Hawaii. Unless E729 becomes available, I will keep it. We do tend to be early to bed early to rise people, but as you said, the cabin was great. I just may bring some earplugs.:D

I have never stayed in the cabin discussed, but we have experienced faint noise a couple of time with cabins on this same deck-both cases cabin was located above either Explorers Lounge or on the Island we were above the lounge where a late show with music was taking place and you could hear vibration from the bass.

On a side note, I just want you to know that I have ALWAYS wanted a pair of ruby red slippers like Dorothy's and I can only find them in little girl sizes. One day, I will find me a size seven somewhere. Have no idea where I would wear them, but what fun I would have prancing around in them. :eek:

Not sure this will open for you in the US but here's a page full of them. :D

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en-GB&rlz=1T4GUEA_en-GBGB391GB391&q=red+dorothy+shoes+for+adults&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=-jjxTJDBB6WShAfouuy2DA&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=image&resnum=3&ved=0CDoQzAMwAg

We have E728 booked on the Sapphire for February to Hawaii. Unless E729 becomes available, I will keep it. We do tend to be early to bed early to rise people, but as you said, the cabin was great. I just may bring some earplugs.:D

Ummmm, just so you know, ear plugs weren't all that effective (they did help a bit), because the sounds from below are more "thumpy" than loud. A glass or two of wine sure helped though!

Also, please know that the bed in this cabin was NOT good, even with "toppers" (which were useless). We tried it for two nights before inflating our new travel Aerobeds (placed on top). Slept great after that.

If the cabin steward Melchor is still on in Feb, you will have very good service. Enjoy! :)

I was in E728 on Golden to Hawaii. I DID feel the beat, during performances and rehearsals as well.

The only time it really bothered me was the night before Honolulu. We had a 7 AM excursion, so I had to get up early the next day.

The thumping went on until well after 11 PM...but I survived it, and guess what?

I have the same cabin booked for next time around.

I will say also that I have stayed in E725 and heard nothing at all.

We are in 728 on the Grand Jan 3 . I'll be sure to report back ! Booked it more for the private balcony aft (smokers) and we do like loud music , fingers crossed ! Thanks OP !

Hey , in the meantime should I bring glow sticks and make a rave out of it ?lol

Ted

We are in 728 on the Grand Jan 3 . I'll be sure to report back ! Booked it more for the private balcony aft (smokers) and we do like loud music , fingers crossed ! Thanks OP !

Hey , in the meantime should I bring glow sticks and make a rave out of it ?lol

Ted

You might as well go for it. I forgot to mention that on the last night, I think, not positive, that the crew had a gathering down there. I went on til past midnight with the boom boom boom. We had a great cruise so I just smiled myself to sleep. That is one great balcony! And the crew on the ship was super. Even if we did have Noro. Now that's another story.

:eek:

We were told Noro was on board on day 9 if I remember correctly. From there on, it was wash wash wash your hands. I personally didn't know anyone who had it, but we were no longer able to serve ourselves anything from the buffet or even get a cup of coffee ourselves. At the end of the cruise, the captain said that less than 1/2 of 1% were still affected with it.

Archived