New version of CC forums coming soon!

Texas Teen

Look at Independent Traveler. The posts go back to 2004. The same date as currently on Cruise Critic. It is likely that both converted to vBulletin in 2004. They have already did the version upgrade there and retained the data so the experience will be the same here.

And way less traffic on that site then here on CC. One of the reasons I believe that this site as become one of the most popular of the cruise message board sites is it easy readability and easy navigation.

If the site has to change (sometimes so-called upgrades and advances are in fact a step backwards) I would ask that the background and font colors stay the same - blue on white is very easy to scan and read, grades of colors can be difficult. Once I start struggling with the clarity and ease of reading, I'll go somewhere else.

Once I start struggling with the clarity and ease of reading, I'll go somewhere else.

I so agree - I won't bother checking into CC when they change the format and I suggest the change has more to do with $ than our needs & wants :(

Shame, always enjoyed it here but guess it's 'so-called' progress although I simply can't see how?

Have happy cruisin' anyway :)

just an upgrade to a newer version that is better supported by the software vendor. vBulletin is a very popular software package for bulletin boards, and I believe that it's pretty flexible in how it can be configured. I'd expect (and hope) that vBulletin offers an upgrade utility that will maintain all existing user info (including message counts) in the upgrade, and that CC will configure it to have a similar look and feel to the current version.

Very much so. It'd be extremely rare for anyone to want to remove that data.

The way it appears is very customisable, which is why I'd expect that they keep the same appearance as now. Sounds like it's just an under the shell upgrade with a few extra features when it is done.

Very much so. It'd be extremely rare for anyone to want to remove that data.

The way it appears is very customisable, which is why I'd expect that they keep the same appearance as now. Sounds like it's just an under the shell upgrade with a few extra features when it is done.

If that is the case then why do you suppose that they choose to present the other site in such a user "unfriendly" way?

So I just noticed some interesting numbers for the two sites. The Independent Traveler has approximately 28,000 members, 3000 threads and 36,000 posts. Cruise Critic has approx. 638,000 members 1,209,432 threads with 25,286,200 posts. Now, for some reason they want to make THIS site more like THAT site??:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I have no way of knowing for sure, but this is a possibility: If both sites use the same software underneath their boards and this is an "upgrade" to the software, it would be a good idea to perform the "upgrade" to the smaller site first. Any conversion of data would be quicker and it might be quicker to fix the glitches that inevitably come up.

Having said that, I am one of those people who isn't comfortable with change for change's sake. If this is a situation where software is no longer supported or there is no other choice for some other reason, I guess I could get used to the "upgrade."

Hopefully the IT folks at CC are keeping an eye on these threads and will try to make things familiar enough when/if the change occurs so that people aren't totally "at sea" (sorry, just had to write that :)).

m.

If that is the case then why do you suppose that they choose to present the other site in such a user "unfriendly" way?

I haven't been around there in the past to have any basis for suggestion. There are typical and valid reasons that could be guessed at, but speculation on the reasons behind style differences isn't of much help to this discussion.

I haven't been around there in the past to have any basis for suggestion. There are typical and valid reasons that could be guessed at, but speculation on the reasons behind style differences isn't of much help to this discussion.

Correct. And hopefully the reason is not that the software cannot be configured to somewhat match what we have here now.

Thanks for posting this. I just took a peek and find that type of board much harder to read, or maybe it's just I'm used to this type.

I wonder why they're doing this?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, I always say.

Do we as members have any say-so???

Looks like they're upgrading to the latest version of the same bulletin board software. I can think of some very good reasons to upgrade... better security, better stability, fewer crashes...

No doubt everyone will adapt to a new format pretty quickly, but it doesn't mean it will necessarily be a step forward.

My favourite website for checking cruise prices underwent a revamp and even though I'm familiar with it, it is still hopeless compared to the old functionality. I know by now that it takes some time to adapt to a new format but this particular site is a stinker. I passed on user feedback but nothing has changed. I do wish web designers would consult with users before making changes that can't be reversed.

My 2c :)

they look dated....and very similar to the boards on Trip advisor...generic if you ask me....bummer...:mad::mad::mad:

I like the look of our boards....another board I frequent just changed their format too..I hate it...hard to read...

this format is easy on the eyes.....

I think its fine. I never get too attached to any different forum style.

Some sites change every few months, some once a year, some not for many years. I think most of the 'disagreement' here is likely attributed to the fact that the style hasn't really changed in many years. I've been on here since like 04 or 06 and its largely the same format I remember when I signed up.

This style in comparison to some other forums is a bit old actually.

Personally one reason why I tend to visit this forum, besides being busy, is this one with its white's and yellows can be a bit rough on my eyes, vs darker colors.

One site I am a member of is for Custom Car Owners. The members like to post pictures of their cars in their signatures, plus avatars.

We were notified as of the first of the year, the site will be changing it's format. No more pic's in signatures. Plus everyone will have to register all over again, resetting all post counts.

Kind of crazy for a car site, but were told it is a sign of changing technology and could not be helped.

A separate photo gallery will be set up for photos, but signatures will have to be kept to a minimum.

One site I am a member of is for Custom Car Owners. The members like to post pictures of their cars in their signatures, plus avatars.

We were notified as of the first of the year, the site will be changing it's format. No more pic's in signatures. Plus everyone will have to register all over again, resetting all post counts.

Kind of crazy for a car site, but were told it is a sign of changing technology and could not be helped.

A separate photo gallery will be set up for photos, but signatures will have to be kept to a minimum.

And I forgot to mention......We keep it Advertisement Free by making private donations via Pay Pal.

Don't mind spending $10 a year, (purely voluntary) and they put a "Site Supporter" badge under your avatar.

The board has to be updated sooner or later, at least once a month i get updates for my vbulletin message board with new fixes to recently found security holes. This board runs on vbulletin 3.7.3 a pretty old software revision, most recent in the 3.x series is 3.8.10 the newest is 4.0.8 the 3.7 series likely will not be updated with security fixes in the near future and to keep everyone’s information safe it will be necessary to upgrade to 4.0.x

I think the main problem is everyone thinks that after the upgrade the board will look exactly like the ind. traveler board, this is simply not the case. There are thousands of different templates and styles on which to base the forum, it will most likely look very similar to the current board.

The board has to be updated sooner or later, at least once a month i get updates for my vbulletin message board with new fixes to recently found security holes. This board runs on vbulletin 3.7.3 a pretty old software revision, most recent in the 3.x series is 3.8.10 the newest is 4.0.8 the 3.7 series likely will not be updated with security fixes in the near future and to keep everyone’s information safe it will be necessary to upgrade to 4.0.x

I think the main problem is everyone thinks that after the upgrade the board will look exactly like the ind. traveler board, this is simply not the case. There are thousands of different templates and styles on which to base the forum, it will most likely look very similar to the current board.

If that is the case then maybe we should not have been asked in the sticky to go over and check out that site if these boards were not going to be similar to those. What is the point in checking out a board that has nothing to do with what this one will become?

By the way, anyone else noticed that, as of the time of my posting right now, that stciky no longer exists?

Not sure if this has been written but I found this very interesting in the fine print at the bottom of the page. Might be the same company.

© 1995 - 2010, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.

"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"

All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.

Not sure if this has been written but I found this very interesting in the fine print at the bottom of the page. Might be the same company.

© 1995 - 2010, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.

"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"

All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.

They are the same company - at least part of the same company.

Archived