Ryndam Anchor Drop Lands Man in Brig

prescottbob

Stephen, I respect your seagoing knowledge as an ex-harbour master, and understand your view. But I'm simply explaining the specific operational and technical details pertaining to the Ryndam, and in fact the HAL fleet. We'll leave it as that, as has been mentioned, the thread is going a little awry. If you want to discuss further, feel free to PM me.

secretadvisor,

No PMs here unfortunately but please contact me at: prinsendam @ hotmail dot ( not supposed to post the real thing).

Stephen

Well, apparently the authorities and myself are of the opinion that it could have, that's what he is being charged with.

Maybe you could offer your professional opinion in the poor sods defense?

Since you don't think it was possible, you could help the poor guy out?

Help him out? I don't think so!

But the prosecutors better get their act together or they will find someone to help him.

What would possess someone to let and anchor down? I would even know where to go to do this if I wanted to. As my dear late mother would have asked the man "Have you taken leave of your senses?"

Bless your Mum she sounds like mine..:)

Have u or anyone heard any more about what happened to this character?

I believe Stephen is a former harbour master in Bermuda and when he imparts nautical information, people listen, as he knows whereof he speaks.

Greetings,

Happened to be following this thread and was struck by the reference to 'Topsham' postings and profile. My wife once cruised with a Stephen C**d who was once Bermuda Harbor Master, now Marine artist and has several wonderful books of his paintings of HAL ships in print. Could this be the same person???

Dion and Teri from LA

Greetings,

Happened to be following this thread and was struck by the reference to 'Topsham' postings and profile. My wife once cruised with a Stephen C**d who was once Bermuda Harbor Master, now Marine artist and has several wonderful books of his paintings of HAL ships in print. Could this be the same person???

Dion and Teri from LA

Dion,

Yes it is! And guess what... while you were here in Bda in October on of of those Norwegian things, I was also here at the same time... on Veendam!

Please messaage me at the e-mail address I gave in an earlier post. For some reaason the telephone number I have for you is not working.

I wanted to tell Teri about the wonderful but very sad farewell cruise on the SAGA ROSE (SAGAFJORD) last November.

Stephen

Dion,

Yes it is! And guess what... while you were here in Bda in October on of of those Norwegian things, I was also here at the same time... on Veendam!

Please messaage me at the e-mail address I gave in an earlier post.

Stephen,

We were wondering what ship was coming into Bermuda as we left from the Kings Dockyard that day. We did make a 'connection' as we saw your painting of the capture of the U-505 in the fortress museum at the Dockyard. Teri and Nadyne have told me so much about their cruises on the Sagafjord and Vistafjord and I really felt I missed out by not meeting her, and you, earlier.

I'm working the night shift here in California and I will tell Teri in a few hours from now. She will get in touch. Best regards

Dion

• 2 weeks later...

From my knowledge the ship was not going full steam (taken from old mariners terms of the old Boilers). She was only going about 15 to 18 knots which allows another 9 knots to be at full steam.

Yes it is a stern anchor not a stream.

Unless there is a design flaw, the anchor should not hit the ship when deployed, not even while in transent.

But this guy has major problems to disrupt people's vacation. Also even more so too have the disrespect of the ship and her employees/crew.

I always keep in mind when I go on cruises this;

the Ship is their home these people live 24/7 on them for minimum 4 months up to 10 months at a time. Would i do something to damage my home? Well some people would, but I would not. I think we need to respect Company cruises, as they offer us much freedoms on their ships.

SMT.

From my knowledge the ship was not going full steam (taken from old mariners terms of the old Boilers). She was only going about 15 to 18 knots which allows another 9 knots to be at full steam.

Yes it is a stern anchor not a stream.

Unless there is a design flaw, the anchor should not hit the ship when deployed, not even while in transent.

SMT.

SMT,

The max cruising speed of the S Class ships is just about 22 knots, not 15 to 18 plus 9. The Flagship class are faster, max 25 but they don't do those speeds unless someone else is paying for the fuel!

FYI... ANY anchor stowed or deployed from the stern of a vessel IS A STERN ANCHOR. It is the function of the anchor that gives it a different name. Eg you could have a 'kedge', a 'stocked', a 'fluke', a 'danforth', a 'grapple', a 'mushroom' or you might even have a 'stream'. They are all stern anchors.

The function of a stream anchor (as on VEENDAM) to to limit the swing of a vessel. This could be when anchoring in a confined space where there is no room for the stern to swing.... as in a narrow river. It could be used as Advisor said, to hold the stern in position to give a lee for tendering operation. Numerous reasons to deploy such an anchor but the correct term for an anchor used for this purpose is a 'stream' anchor.

Stephen

Stephen;

you misread my post on the speed of the ship...

Usual cruising speed is 15 to 18 knots. I did not check into the class of the ship to know her max cruising speed. But I was going on the experiences I've been on which were with the flagships.

Also you are correct about the term of it being the stream anchor. I confused with the anchoring methods to yes limit the swaying of the vessels.

I'm not hard to get along with,

thanks for your comments,

SMT.

Stephen;

you misread my post on the speed of the ship...

Usual cruising speed is 15 to 18 knots. I did not check into the class of the ship to know her max cruising speed. But I was going on the experiences I've been on which were with the flagships.

Also you are correct about the term of it being the stream anchor. I confused with the anchoring methods to yes limit the swaying of the vessels.

I'm not hard to get along with,

thanks for your comments,

SMT.

SMT

We had better head for the bar then!;)

The term cruising speed is confusing anyway. It is simply the speed required to get from one port to another. Could range from Dead Slow to Full Ahead. These days the pressure is on to do the most economical speed and arrive on time, but not early.

I spent one period on a VLCC, a 260,000 deadweight tanker. The ship spent seven years sailing between the Persian Gluf and Le Havre at 7 knots. Our max was 16.... 7 was soul destroying. My fastest number was the EUROLINER, gas turbine container ship. Back and forth on the Atlantic at 26 to 28 knots burning 270 tonnes if aviation spirit every day.

Stephen

The ship spent seven years sailing between the Persian Gluf and Le Havre at 7 knots.

Stephen

Well, lets see, there are 365 days in a year and 24 hours in a day. So that works out to 8,760 hours times seven years equals 61,320 hours. At seven knots that works out 429,240 nautical miles, or 493,626 statute miles. That is just under 20 times around the earth. Why did it take seven years to go from the Persian Gulf to Le Havre even at that slow speed?

Well, lets see, there are 365 days in a year and 24 hours in a day. So that works out to 8,760 hours times seven years equals 61,320 hours. At seven knots that works out 429,240 nautical miles, or 493,626 statute miles. That is just under 20 times around the earth. Why did it take seven years to go from the Persian Gulf to Le Havre even at that slow speed?

Duh! They couldn't find the steering wheel!;)

The ship was built on the Clyde in 1974.... in two halves and then joined up later 'afloat' rather than in a drydock... the largest ship ever built this way.

He first voyage was to the Gulf then back to Le Havre.. at normal speed. She then went on charter to one of the big French oil companies. This was during the days of the oil crisis and so the seven knot speed was ordered by the charterers. She carried between three and four cargoes a year. After seven years the charter was not renewed and the owner sold the ship for scrap.

Stephen

Archived