Going Back........

papilliontraveler

I have read numerous threads about what a great time people had at this port/island or that one. How the beaches were amazing, the scenery beautiful, etc., and they wished they had had more time there.

Have any of you ever gone back to these locations and spent time on a land vacation there? I am just curious how many go back to enjoy a longer, no time-restricted vacation at these different locations, that they enjoyed for a few hours while on a cruise.

I did 10 years in Hawaii very rural and loved it .. but sometimes missed the things of a big city and how far to drive to anything, grocery shopping or the library or little things.

I always think when Im in roatan that I would love to spend a week there. So far thats the only place that turned me on much.

Going back...a different take on your question; for me the one that stands out is Costa Maya. My first visit there in 2002, it was very sparse to say the least. We did a ship sponsored tour to the Chaccobean ruins and it was great, but my impression of Costa Maya was basically....is that it? Went back there on the Valor in 2007,and it was vastly different experience. Again ship tour to a beach, but the port area, was so much more improved and enlarged. Going back is often a good thing, especially when the first time was less than perfect. :) And next time I go there, I am going to Mahajual, to see something of the place.

That was my biggest concern too, getting restless, as I have a hard time sitting still too long, but we found a ton of things to do. It does depend on which island/port you go to as to the activities available.

For us, we enjoy hanging out at the beach quite a bit.

I was just curious as we will be cruising again for the first time in 3yrs., and I am a little hesitant as you are always on limited time when cruising.

We really enjoy seeing the different ports/islands, but have enjoyed not having to always watch the time, when on land vacations. And for us, there is nothing like strolling the beach.

In the end, it is all about what your likes/dislikes are.

I have read numerous threads about what a great time people had at this port/island or that one. How the beaches were amazing, the scenery beautiful, etc., and they wished they had had more time there.

Have any of you ever gone back to these locations and spent time on a land vacation there? I am just curious how many go back to enjoy a longer, no time-restricted vacation at these different locations, that they enjoyed for a few hours while on a cruise.

Absolutely! I have used cruises to get a feel of the land on islands that I wasn't sure I wanted to visit for a full week or two. Places that I first cruised to and later returned for lengthier vacations include Jamaica, Belize, Costa Rica, and St Kitts. Panama and Dominica are on my bucket list as a result of cruising.

My sister went on a cruise to St. Thomas in the early 80s. She loved it so much she quit her job and moved there. Stayed about 10 years, or until Hurricane Marilyn. She stayed after Hugo but didn't want to go through that again and left three days after it Marilyn. And while she was there another sister went to visit. She is still there!

Archived