What's your best one-line piece of advice for a new cruiser?

ripaula

hi cruisers,

my husband and i (60 and 58) are taking our first ever cruise (7 day eastern carribean on ruby princess 2/20/11).

I would love to hear people's best bits of advice for someone who doesn't even know the difference between fore and aft.

relax :d

Try to get a copy of the daily activity for your cruise (posted by others that have sailed on your itinerary). Having that at your disposal before the cruise will eliminate many unknowns about your cruise and helps you relax before you even leave the house.

1) if they offer you a drink and ask for your keycard, you will be paying for it. The day you board, it will seem like they are offering a free drink. Some do offer a free glass of champagne or sparkling wine, but usually is the Drink of the Day and it does cost$$$$.

2) don't go to the shopping talk or buy the little shopping book. It's like trick or treating for adults (going around to get the free stuff), but it's still junk.

3) don't expect everything to go absolutely perfectly. It might, but if you don't set your expectations at an unreasonable level, chances are pretty good that you'll have a great time and become addicted to cruising.

Have a great time!

Hi cruisers,

My husband and I (60 and 58) are taking our first ever cruise (7 day eastern carribean on Ruby Princess 2/20/11).

I would love to hear people's best bits of advice for someone who doesn't even know the difference between fore and aft.

Slow down and savor your cruise! Enjoy the sunrises and sunsets. Take some time to go out on deck (or on your balcony with all the lights out if you have one) at night and watch the stars. It's an incredible sight, something you won't really be able to see on land. Romantic too :)!

Congratulations on your first cruise! Relax and enjoy your time on board and in port!

I agree that flying in the day before is a good thing to do.

One thing I learned is not to sweat the 'formal night'. I thought I had to have a floor length formal gown, makeup, and a hairdo. Realistically, wear a nice dress, put on your usual makeup, and do your hair nicely. Then relax and enjoy the formal dinner.

You will love cruising! Enjoy!

I loved Princess - enjoy! Your first port is Princess Cays - the private Island owned by Princess. There really isn't a whole lot to do there - but is beautiful and it is a tender port (you load up in the the life boats and ride in). They serve a BBQ on the island which was alright - but not near as good as the food on board. St. Maartan and St. Thomas are beautiful islands - look at what excursions the ship has to offer and decide what you would like to do. Haven't been to Grand Turk yet - but from reading CC boards, I hear it has great beach/water activities. Biggest advice I can give - is every night your room steward will bring you the Princess Patter - the ship's newsletter containing info for the next day. Take the time to read and from it you can get ideas for your days activities. Have a great time.

Hi cruisers,

My husband and I (60 and 58) are taking our first ever cruise (7 day eastern carribean on Ruby Princess 2/20/11).

On our first cruise I kept a daily journal. Because when the cruise is done, you will still be able to re-live and enjoy the memories.

I also took alot of photos! It still makes me smile when I remember being onboard a tour bus in Rome and overhearing a fellow cruiser agonizing about if he would have enough batteries for all the photos that he was taking.

Enjoy your first cruise, probably the first of many more, because I think they put something in the water, and you become addicted! :)

H.

During your first cruise it will be a totally new experience. You have to pick and choose what you want to do because it's impossible to fit everything in. After twenty five cruises I basically relax with my family and pick out things that we enjoy doing together. Try things that you don't normally do and the rest is easy. A cruise vacation is the total package that I hope you enjoy and do again and again.

Hi cruisers,

Many good words of wisdom posted but this was one I learned....

Pack half as many clothes you think you'll need and take twice the amount of money!

I have to say that this is one of the best threads I've run across in a while! :)

When in port:

-- Know when you have to be aboard (and don't push it);

-- Keep your watch set on SHIP'S time, not local time;

-- Don't depend on tour operators, taxi drivers, or bartenders, for the time;

-- 'Cause, you don't want to be on shore, watching your ship sail away!!! :eek:

Two for you...

1. Take a small flashlight... the cabin is pitch dark once you turn out the lights and if it's an overcast night the light from your balcony or window won't help.

2. You don't need to take shoes for every outfit :-D

I have to say that this is one of the best threads I've run across in a while! :)

When in port:

-- Know when you have to be aboard (and don't push it);

-- Keep your watch set on SHIP'S time, not local time;

-- Don't depend on tour operators, taxi drivers, or bartenders, for the time;

-- 'Cause, you don't want to be on shore, watching your ship sail away!!! :eek:

And don't go by your cell phone time. Sometimes you enter a new time zone but the ship doesn't observe it. The cell phone time will change automatically.

Make a really comprehensive list of everything you will need to take - and keep it then when you get home update it (delete what was unnecessary add those things you thought would have been useful) so that's it's ready for the next time!

(After many cruises, I'm taking something 'new' added to my list for my next trip!)

I'm sure there will be a next time - almost everyone gets hooked after the first one! Have a wonderful time!

Archived