What's your best one-line piece of advice for a new cruiser?

ripaula

Hi cruisers,

My husband and I (60 and 58) are taking our first ever cruise (7 day eastern carribean on Ruby Princess 2/20/11).

I would love to hear people's best bits of advice for someone who doesn't even know the difference between fore and aft.

Hi cruisers,

My husband and I (60 and 58) are taking our first ever cruise (7 day eastern carribean on Ruby Princess 2/20/11).

I would love to hear people's best bits of advice for someone who doesn't even know the difference between fore and aft.

Everything you need to know can be found on this web site.

Read, read, and read some more.

Also, go to your ship's roll call. Join. Get to know who else is going to be on your cruise.

Fly in the day before the cruise. It relieves a lot of the stress of "what-if". February is a month where every city in America can have some kind of weather that can delay a flight. Coming in the day before gives you extra leeway, plus it relieves a lot of the stress that regular traveling has on us.

Enjoy your cruise, and congratulations on your first cruise!

In the Navy, we learned that the bow was the "pointy end."

Fear not, not too many people worry about the lingo. Yes "fore" is forward towards the bow and "aft" is towards the stern (back end). Even the most seasoned of us get disoriented coming out of a stairwell, and cannot remember which side is which without looking at the signs.

If you know "fore" and "aft," you are halfway home. Know that "starboard" is right, and "port" is left. You can remember that "right" is a longer word than "left," and similarly "starboard" is a longer word than "port" -- if that helps.

Beyond that, don't sweat it. Hallways are really "passageways," going upstairs is really going "topside," going downstairs is really "going below," and the bathroom is the "head." But those terms get pretty lost and forgotten on large cruise ships. They will refer to "decks" instead of "floors," but you don't need to know anything else or worry about anything else. The most important thing to remember is have lots of "fun!" Enjoy your cruise, and learn only those nautical terms that you choose to.

Another memory device is to remember that "left" and "port" both have 4 letters. Also, "bow" and " tip" each have 3 letters.

Advice - learn the most convenient stairwell route to the main areas points of the ship that you will frequent (dining room, buffet, theater, pool, etc). Skipping the elevators saves time and is good for your health. Probably won't work off all the extra pounds you'll gain on the cruise, but it's a "step" in the right direction.

Hi cruisers,

1) Attitude is key. Go with a positive attitude and you will have a good time. Go with a negative attitude and you will find plenty to complain about.

2) Make sure you re-board the ship at least 30 minutes before it leaves.

I have two pieces of advice (sorry ... think they are both important!):

1. Don't learn too much in advance. Allow yourself to be surprised! Don't read too many reviews and comments here because there are some who would be negative no matter how perfect everything is!

2. Don't feel that you have to do everything on the cruise, but do try a few new things and talk to new people.

Enjoy!!

Make sure your passport is up to date. Make sure you have a sling for your jaw, 'cause when you board the Ruby Princess, it's going to drop!!!:D:D You will LOVE Princess.

Remember that you can order anything from the menu--and if there's a certain thing you like,eg-shrimp cocktail, order 2. I love mango and papaya. I happened to mention it to our server--every night he had a plate of it for me.

HAVE A BALL!!

Focus on the positive and don’t let something minor ruin your whole trip. And IMO, pretty much anything that doesn’t involve a doctor or the police counts as minor. If something doesn’t go according to plan or exactly the way you would like…let it go and have a nice time.

Focus on the positive and don’t let something minor ruin your whole trip. And IMO, pretty much anything that doesn’t involve a doctor or the police counts as minor. If something doesn’t go according to plan or exactly the way you would like…let it go and have a nice time.

Truer words were never spoken.

Or typed.

if you think you will be using your bank cards to purchase things , be sure to let your bank know where you will be. Sometimes the cards will be declined if they have not been notified. Have a wonderful and safe trip.

Research, research, research!

Always go by ship time, not the time on your cell phone.

Unless it's a specialty steakhouse or "for fee" it is included in the cruise fare (Main Dining Room, Buffet, Pizza kitchen and deli, room service [be sure and tip the room service guy] ) and you can order more than one of everything on the menu, you can have a starter for an entree and and entree for a starter. Juices, coffee and tea are included in the MDR and buffet but not the specialty coffee shop.

Explore the ship!. Ride the slide, swim in the pool, lay in the sun, have fun.:D

When you get lost on board, and you will get lost, remember to laugh at yourself. Oh and take a deep breath and relax.

<

Cherry

When you get lost, find the nearest elevator and there will be a map of the ship broken down by decks. I always get lost for about 6 days on a 7 day cruise. It's OK, most of us do it from time to time.

Gene

My DH and I just returned from our first ever cruise last month. I read, read and READ on CC, reviews, good and bad - the good ones were great fun to read and the bad helped me keep things in perspective.

Everyone has been giving great advice, so I have just one to add: be prepared to sign up for your second cruise while you're on board! There is a low deposit if you book that way, plus they usually give an onboard credit. I am now convinced that cruises are like potato chips - one is not enough! :D

Hi cruisers,

Take 1/2 the luggage you think you will need. ;)

Kirk

Archived